Not that you need an excuse to make pina colada recipes but I’ve got one for you anyway. It’s National Pina Colada Day! So grab your blender and let’s get celebrating with these delicious frozen cocktails!
Did you know that today is National Pina Colada Day? These are my favorite frozen cocktails and I plan to celebrate by making some new pina colada recipes and relaxing by the pool.
Originally I was going to make the traditional recipe but then I had the brilliant idea to add orange juice and make layers of orange colada and traditional pina colada. I’m a make it up as I go kind of girl. Sometimes that turns out fantastic and sometimes, well, not so much. It turned out that the color of the orange juice version was no different than the pineapple version. Oops…so much for my pretty layers.
On the plus side, I just blended the layers together and my Pineapple Orange Colada was absolutely delicious! Not at all orange, but yummy regardless!
However, I was still determined to make layers. My husband calls it stubborn but I prefer determined! After a couple sips of the Pineapple Orange Colada, I poured half back into the blender and threw in a handful of strawberries. I definitely had some color this time! Yay, I’d have layers after all!
Though the layers didn’t turn out exactly as I’d planned, it was still pretty and tasted great too. Plus, there’s another upside. I have to keep practicing! I’m not one to give up (there’s that stubborn/determined trait again) and now I’m not giving up until I make a beautiful, perfectly layered cocktail. Stay tuned…I’ll definitely share it when I do!
So, while not layered, I still ended up with two delicious pina colada recipes to share on National Pina Colada day. Grab your blender and start celebrating!
- 2 oz orange juice
- 2 oz pineapple juice
- 4 oz cream of coconut
- 4 oz Malibu rum (or more if you're really celebrating!)
- 2 cups ice
- orange slice / pineapple slice / cherry for garnish
- whipped cream (optional)
- Combine orange juice, pineapple juice, cream of coconut, rum and ice in a blender.
- Blend until smooth
- Top with whipped cream and garnish with fruit
- To make the strawberry version, just divide the Pineapple Orange Colada in half. Blend one half with a handful of strawberries (I used about 6). Fill glass ¼ full with Pineapple Orange Colada, then fill to the halfway point with the strawberry colada. Repeat once and garnish.
Do you love pina coladas? Getting caught in the rain? (Sorry, couldn’t help myself!) What frozen cocktails are your favorites?
If you liked this recipe, you make also like…