Mother’s Day is just around the corner and as I was enjoying a special “mommy moment” with my girls the other day, the idea for this post popped into my head. Anyone will tell you that being a parent is hard and sometimes we all just want to hide in the bathroom, lock the door and take a nice warm bath while going through the magazines that have been stacking up in the corner for three months! The only people that actually think parenting is easy are those people that don’t have any children of their own!
However, the other thing that all parents know is that it is so worth it! Don’t try to tell me that when my three year old is screaming because she wants ice cream for breakfast…but it really IS true! I’ve found that one of the things I love most are those special “in the moment” moments! You know what I mean. It’s when you’re doing something random with your kids and suddenly you realize that you’re creating a wonderful memory. Here are my top 5 mommy moments from this week:
1. Girl Band: It started out innocently enough. We were driving around listening to the Tangled soundtrack and “Mother Knows Best” came on. My oldest daughter and I started singing and then my three year old chimed in. By the end of the song, we were half singing, half yelling the words and acting out all of the hand motions as well (don’t worry, my husband was driving). I don’t know who had more fun…me or the girls!
2. Festival Dancing: On the first Friday of each month, there’s a festival near us that features a live band. It’s always a blast and we try to make it when we can. Of course the girls love dancing to the music so I was taking video of their super-cool dance moves (at least that’s what THEY call them). But then the band played Uptown Funk! Have you heard that song…how can you NOT dance to it?!! I hit the dance floor and showed off my own super-cool dance moves! I can’t imagine anything more fun than dancing with my girls on a beautiful Friday night in Florida!
3. Random “I Love You”: My husband and I actually get these a lot from both our sweet girls but it’s something we never get tired of! It’s usually at random times too, not just when we’re when we’re at Target buying them a toy! They also love to come up to us out of the blue to deliver special kisses and hugs. If that’s not a mommy moment (and a daddy moment), I don’t know what is!
4. Beach Day: Sunday was a beautiful day so we decided to drive out to the beach. I have never seen two happier girls! They were sitting under the umbrella digging and making sandcastles for over an hour. I think my older one was actually trying to dig to China…at one point she asked how long it would take if she dug non-stop. She also asked if there were still real pirates and when I explained that they were no longer around, she was very disappointed. I thought it was funny that she wanted to see pirates but then she told me that it was because she really wanted to dig up some treasure (don’t we all!) It was very cute and combined with everything else, made for a memorable day.
5. Sisterly Love: I love how much my two girls love each other! Not that they don’t fight because occasionally they do and it drives me crazy. However, mostly they love and look out for each other. If one gets hurt, the other will race to the freezer to bring the princess ice pack (healer of all boo-boos). They also play cute little games together like mommy puppy and baby puppy, mommy monster and baby monster and sometimes just mommy and baby. Ashling really does treat Keira like her own little baby and Keira adores her big sister and follows her everywhere. There’s nothing sweeter and it’s so much fun to watch!
Wow…I sure got sentimental this week, didn’t I? I guess that Mother’s Day just got me thinking about how much I absolutely adore those two little munchkins! Don’t worry, next week I’ll go back to writing funny posts about wine, shopping and men (all while drinking wine, shopping online and waiting for my hubby to get home).