Plan on grilling out this summer? If so, you’re going to want to try these awesome Blue Cheese Burgers With Mushrooms and Bacon. They’re perfect for your neighborhood cookout or an everyday dinner with the family.
It’s been several months since I took the blenditarian pledge and I’m on a roll! I started with an awesome turkey meatloaf recipe, then made some sausage and mushroom stuffed peppers. Finally, because we love mushrooms so much, I made a stuffed mushroom recipe to die for (seriously, my husband decided to make a meal out of these bite size appetizers).
I was ready to grab my mushrooms and make another recipe. Since we love grilling in the summer, I thought I’d try my hand at creating a tasty new burger recipe. I looked at the ingredients I had on hand and decided that a Blue Cheese Burger With Mushrooms and Bacon sounded pretty delish.
I wanted mushrooms as one of the main ingredients because adding mushrooms makes ground beef go so much further. They also add flavor and nutrients like vitamins B & D, antioxidants and potassium. Plus, it’s a really easy way to
trick encourage my girls to eating extra veggies!
Being a blenditarian involves just three simple steps:
- Select your favorite mushroom variety and chop it to match the consistency of your meat.
- Take your chopped mushrooms and blend them with the ground meat.
- Cook your meat-mushroom blend and your recipe is complete.
Optional: Add more flavor to your recipe by roasting the mushrooms for 10-15 minutes before chopping.
Make the pledge to be a blenditarian and share what drives you to do better. Plus, if you can use a little extra cash (and who couldn’t), keep reading to find out how you can win up to $2,500 just by taking the challenge!
Blue Cheese Burgers With Mushrooms And Bacon
Once you have your ingredients, it’s time to start creating the perfect burger! I started with ground beef.
Next I added chopped mushrooms. It’s amazing how much further the beef goes when you combine it with mushrooms!
Finally I added blue cheese and onions, then seasoned it with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
I used a cookie cutter to shape my hamburgers but you can always do it by hand too.
While my hubby grilled the burgers, I cooked my bacon in the microwave. I put out some lettuce, tomato, ketchup, mustard and a little extra blue cheese. The smell of both the bacon and burgers cooking made us hungrier by the minute!
We loaded our burgers onto kaiser buns and added all the goodies. How awesome does this look?!
I served these blue cheese burgers up with a side of potato salad and some watermelon. They were SO delish!!!
These are perfect for summer cookouts but you can always just throw them in the frying pan for an everyday dinner. There’s no way you can go wrong when you serve these! I may even try using this recipe for sliders next time.
Enter To Win
Take the blenditarian challenge and you could win $250. Every month, five random winners will be selected to win $250. Each monthly entry will also be entered to the Grand Prize of $2,500 to keep and $2,500 for a local food bank chosen by the winner.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 8 ounces portobello mushrooms
- 3/4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 cup blue cheese , separated
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 6 slices bacon
- 6 kaiser rolls
- Garnishes such as lettuce, tomatoes, ketchup & mustard
- Chop mushrooms
- Combine ground beef, mushrooms and chopped onions
- Add 1/2 cup of blue cheese
- Add 1 tsp garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste
- Blend together and form into patties. This recipe makes 6 regular sized patties or four large ones.
- Cook burgers on grill or stovetop.
- Prepare bacon while burgers are cooking.
- Once burgers have reached the desired temperature, remove from heat and put on a kaiser bun
- Top with the remaining blue cheese, a slice of bacon (cut 1/2) and any other desired toppings
- NOTE: This recipe makes 6 regular size burgers or 4 large burgers. If making 4 burgers, you'll top the burgers with a little less blue cheese and use 4 slices of bacon instead of 6.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 548 Saturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 85mg Sodium: 824mg Carbohydrates: 34g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Protein: 27g
What kinds of recipes do you love in the summer? Do you have a great recipe for the blenditarian challenge?
If you liked this recipe, you may want to check these out too…
Turkey Meatloaf With Spinach, Feta & Mushrooms (with video)
Easy Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms (with video)