This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’re looking for the absolute BEST Easy Rotel Dip Recipe with Ground Beef and Sausage, look no further! With just 6 simple ingredients, this meaty, cheesy dip is guaranteed to be a hit on game nights or at your next party.
When football season comes around, it’s a great time to break out all your favorite appetizers and party foods. At every Super Bowl party, you can always expect to find an array of the classic Super Bowl Foods, like these Jalapeno Poppers or Sausage Balls. But a party wouldn’t be a party without cheesy rotel dip…right?
But I am not talking about just any average rotel cheese dip! This recipe takes traditional cheese dip to a whole new level with sausage and ground beef. This is one hearty appetizer that is filling and delicious and is always a crowd pleaser!
💖Why We Love this Recipe
Great flavor: The seasonings in the ground sausage along with the chili powder give this dip an amazing Tex-Mex flavor the whole family will love.
Easy appetizer: Set it and forget it recipes are perfect when you are busy making several dishes for a party or other get-together. Once you have combined all the ingredients for this dip, the crockpot does the rest of the work for you!
Make ahead recipe: You can make this dip up to two-three days in advance then just reheat it in the slow cooker on the day of the party
What’s Needed for Slow Cooker Rotel Dip
- Ground Beef and Sausage: This is what sets this recipe apart from regular cheese dips. We used mild sausage, but you can use spicy sausage or even ground Italian sausage
- Cheese: We used Velveeta. It melts super easy and doesn’t clump up after it has been cooking a while like other cheeses.
- Rotel Tomatoes: We used the mild rotel tomatoes with green chiles, but you can use the spicier varieties.
- Chili powder, salt and black pepper: Adds so much flavor to the dip. Add extra if you long a strong chili flavor.
- Cream Cheese: This helps make the dish creamier and adds a bit of tangy flavor.
How to Make the Best Rotel Dip
Step 1. In a medium skillet, brown hamburger meat and sausage over medium high heat. Drain the excess grease.
Step 2. Season with chili powder and salt and pepper to taste.
Step 3. Add the cooked ground beef to the bottom of your crockpot.
Step 4. Add the cubed Velveeta and cream cheese to the crockpot.
Step 5. Add rotel.
Step 6. Put the lid on the crockpot and set on warm setting for 2 hours.
Step 7. Stir dip and serve hot with your favorite chips and veggies.
Can I Freeze Rotel Dip?
You sure can! Be sure and allow the dip to cool to room temperature, before transferring it to an airtight, freezer-safe container. It will stay fresh for up to 3 months.
To reheat the dip, you’ll need to thaw it out first by placing it in the fridge overnight. Heat it in a skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally or you can put it in the slow cooker on the low setting until it is warmed through
You can, but it cannot be left unattended like when it’s made in a slow cooker. To make rotel cheese dip stove top, you’ll brown sausage and ground beef large skillet or cast iron skillet and drain.
Then, simply place the rest of ingredients in the skillet with the meat and heat over medium, stirring often, until melted. Be careful to not let the cheese burn. Turn it down to low heat if needed.
What Do you Eat with Rotel Dip with?
This is the perfect dip to serve for the big game, holiday and Christmas parties or even wedding and baby showers because it makes a good bit and serves a crowd.
But if you are like me, there are times when you get to craving it just as a snack on the weekends. That means you’ll have leftovers. If you are looking for another great way to serve those leftovers, check out these options:
Variations and Add-ins for Crock Pot Rotel Dip Recipe
- Make it healthier: If you want to lighten things up a bit, replace the ground beef with ground turkey with chicken sausage.
- Vegetarian version: To make this recipe vegetarian replace the ground beef with black beans. Since you aren’t having to brown ground beef and the sausage, you can just add the rinsed beans to the slow cooker with the other ingredients. (Note, this is for vegetarian, not vegan)
- Change up the cheese: Velveeta cheese melts and becomes so velvety smooth, but if you prefer not to use processed cheese you can use regular cheese. Add equal parts cream cheese with cheddar cheese. You will need to grate the cheese from a block to get a smooth consistency. Pre-shredded cheese is coated to keep it from clumping up in the bag and it just does not melt as smooth as freshly grated. You can also grate some Monterey jack cheese or Pepper Jack in with the cheddar for a nice twist in flavor,
- Cowboy style: Next time you have a cookout or want to add a different spin on this sausage rotel dip, add chopped onion to the meat while it’s browning. Add the meat, sautéed onion, one can of black beans, a packet of taco seasoning and just a few red pepper flakes to the slow cooker with the cheese and let it cook until nice and hot and bubbly.
- Add some heat: Do you prefer spicy cheese dips? You can easily add more spiciness to this sausage queso dip by adding a little bit of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes. You can also use spicy pork sausage instead of mild.
Want More Party Food Recipes?
- Party Crackers with Steak, Arugula and Blue Cheese
- Deviled Eggs for Your Next Party
- Pretzel Bites
- Seven Layer Dip Cups
- Sausage Puff Pastry with Peppers and Onions
- Corn Dip
- Brie and Prosciutto Appetizer
Rotel Dip Recipe With Ground Beef And Sausage
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground sausage
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound Velveeta
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 10 ounces Rotel
- Chips & veggies for dipping
- In a medium skillet, brown hamburger meat and sausage over medium high heat. Drain the excess grease.1 pound ground beef, 1/2 pound ground sausage
- Season with chili powder and salt and pepper to taste.1 Tablespoon chili powder, Salt and pepper to taste
- Add the cooked ground beef to the bottom of your crockpot.
- Add the cubed Velveeta and cream cheese to the crockpot.1 pound Velveeta, 8 ounces cream cheese
- Add rotel.10 ounces Rotel
- Put the lid on the crockpot and set on warm setting for 2 hours.
- Stir dip and serve hot with your favorite chips and veggies.Chips & veggies for dipping