This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This simple Baileys hot chocolate recipe makes the best spiked hot chocolate for grown-ups. The resulting boozy, creamy, and flavorful drink is classic hot chocolate with a twist. Spiked with Baileys Irish cream, Jameson Irish whiskey, and topped up with whipped cream and sprinkles, Baileys hot chocolate is a perfect treat for adults.
Is there anything better than a cup of rich hot chocolate this time of year? It really is the perfect drink for chilly days (yes, we do get those in Florida).
However, my love for hot chocolate has reached a whole new level since I discovered this simple Baileys hot chocolate recipe. This rich chocolatey Irish beverage is the perfect way to warm up for those game day tailgating parties. It’s also sure to be a hit for your St. Patrick’s Day celebration (serve them with these cute Rainbow Pinwheel Cookies or this fun Rainbow Snack Mix).
Why We Love This Recipe
- Perfect for chilly days: A steaming cup of Baileys hot chocolate is the perfect drink to keep warm on a cold winter day. And if you’re a fan of Baileys, you’ll love this new way of enjoying your favorite Irish cream liqueur!
- Easy: I love easy recipes and you can whip up a batch of this delicious hot beverage in just 10 minutes.
- Cocktail and dessert in one: One of my favorite things about this recipe is that it doubles as a cocktail AND dessert. So, if you want something sweet that everyone will love, you don’t have to look any further than this Baileys hot chocolate!
Ingredients Needed for Homemade Baily’s Hot Chocolate
- Cocoa powder: When combined with dark chocolate, unsweetened cocoa powder gives the drink a rich chocolate flavor. This recipe calls for only three tablespoons cocoa powder.
- Granulated sugar: Sugar adds sweetness to your Baileys hot chocolate. Three tablespoons granulated sugar is enough for this recipe.
- Salt: You can add a pinch of salt to balance the flavor of your hot cocktail.
- Milk: This gives your Baileys hot chocolate a creamy texture. You’ll need two cups milk for this recipe.
- Dark chocolate: For this recipe, one ounce roughly chopped dark chocolate is enough to give you Baileys hot chocolate a rich chocolatey flavor. You can use dark chocolate chips as well.
- Baileys Irish cream: What is Baileys hot chocolate without Baileys Irish cream? This alcoholic drink flavored with Irish whiskey, cocoa, and cream adds sweetness to your spiked hot chocolate and makes it boozy. Two ounces Baileys Irish cream is enough for this recipe.
- Jameson Irish whiskey: This Irish whiskey makes your hot chocolate smoother, creamier and flavorful. It also adds extra boozy goodness. You’ll need two ounces Jameson Irish whiskey for this recipe.
- Whipped cream and sprinkles: These toppings give your Baileys hot chocolate some extra visual appeal. The whipped cream also adds flavor to your hot chocolate, making it creamier and even more delicious.
These ingredients make enough Baileys hot chocolate for two. If you’re serving a crowd, feel free to double or even triple the recipe.
How To Make Baileys Hot Chocolate
Step 1: Pour milk into a medium sauce pan. Heat over medium heat until it’s warm and steamy.
Step 2: Add cocoa powder, chopped dark chocolate, sugar, and salt into the pan. Whisk ingredients together.
Step 3: Continue to whisk all the ingredients together, stirring until they’re dissolved. Chocolate should be melted to create a creamy hot chocolate drink.
Step 4: Remove pan from the heat and carefully add Baileys Irish cream and Jameson Irish whiskey. Keep stirring until everything is well mixed.
Step 5: Pour your creamy Baileys hot chocolate into serving cups or mugs and garnish with your favorite whipped cream topping and sprinkles. Serve immediately and enjoy!
This spiked hot chocolate may be the secret to adding a new twist to your winter parties or the boring chilly evenings! It’s also perfect for the holiday season.
Tips & Tricks for Bailey’s Hot Chocolate
- You can use any milk such as almond or coconut milk for this recipe, but whole milk is the best—it makes the Baileys hot chocolate smoother and creamier.
- To make your Baileys hot chocolate more flavorful, consider making your own whipped cream and add a little Baileys to it.
- If you are a marshmallow fan, you can skip the whipped topping and add mini marshmallow right on top of the hot cocoa. They will begin to melt into hot chocolate, making it a little sweeter than the whipped cream version.
- You can be a little creative with your toppings and use a drizzle of chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, chocolate syrup, chocolate curls, or shavings. These add extra chocolatey goodness to your drink.
- If you fancy a very creamy Baileys hot chocolate, you can add a heavy cream or half and half of your choice to your ingredients.
- You can use honey instead of sugar as a sweetener for your spiked hot chocolate, but it will give it a slightly different flavor.
How long does Baileys last after being opened?
After opening, your Baileys Irish cream is safe in the fridge for up to 6 months.
How much alcohol is in Baileys Irish Cream?
Baileys Irish cream has an alcohol volume of 17%. As a result, this spiked hot chocolate isn’t ideal for kids, designated drivers, or individuals with alcohol intolerance.
How much does Baileys cost?
The cost of Baileys Irish cream will vary depending on your location and the store you’re purchasing from. On average, you can get a 375ml bottle of this popular Irish cream for $15 at Total Wine.
Can you make Bailey’s hot chocolate in a slow cooker?
It’s pretty simple but takes time. Pour all the ingredients except the Baileys and Jameson in a slow cooker and cook on low for about 4 hours. Turn off the slow cooker and add Baileys and Jameson. Pour the resulting creamy mixture into serving mugs, garnish and serve immediately.
How do you store Baileys hot chocolate?
If you make your Baileys hot chocolate beforehand or have any leftovers, it can last in the refrigerator, in an airtight container, for 3 to 4 days. When storing your hot chocolate in the fridge, I suggest you skip the garnishing!
Also, ensure you store your spiked drink in airtight containers. When serving the refrigerated Baileys hot chocolate, reheat the drink, garnish with your favorite toppings and enjoy the creamy, boozy goodness.
Want More Delicious (Adult) Beverage Recipes?
- Peppermint White Chocolate Martini
- St. Patrick’s Day Drinks
- White Wine Sangria
- Best Summer Cocktails
- Amazing Champagne Cocktails
- Best Tequila Cocktails
- Pina Colada Recipes
Baileys Hot Chocolate Recipe
This simple Baileys hot chocolate recipe is a boozy, creamy, and flavorful drink that'll take your classic hot chocolate to a whole new level!
- 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups milk
- 1 ounce dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 2 ounces Baileys Irish Cream
- 2 ounces Jameson Irish Whiskey
- Pour milk into a medium sauce pan and heat it over medium heat until it’s warm and steamy.
- Add cocoa powder, chopped dark chocolate, sugar, and salt into the pan.
- Whisk all the ingredients together and keep stirring until they are all dissolved, and the chocolate is melted. Here you’ll have a creamy hot chocolate drink.
- Remove the pan from the heat and carefully add Baileys Irish cream and Jameson Irish whiskey. Keep stirring until everything is well mixed.
- Pour your creamy Baileys hot chocolate into serving cups or mugs and garnish with your favorite whipped cream topping and sprinkles. Serve immediately and enjoy!
You can use any milk such as almond or coconut milk for this recipe, but whole milk is the best—it makes the Baileys hot chocolate smoother and creamier.
If you fancy a very creamy Baileys hot chocolate, you can add a heavy cream or half and half of your choice to your ingredients.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 474Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 187mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 2gSugar: 49gProtein: 10g