This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Banana Pudding Poke Cake is the perfect dessert for all your summer gatherings! Made with boxed cake mix, pudding and other easy to find ingredients, everybody will be begging for seconds of this creamy cake recipe!
I love a good poke cake recipe! They’re a southern classic and the first time I tried one, I realized why everyone raves about them so much. Not only do they taste amazing but they’re super easy to make too! You just need a box cake mix, instant pudding and a few other ingredients and you’re good to go!
Everybody has their favorites. Chocolate lovers go nuts for this Oreo Poke Cake and my friends that love more fruity desserts are all over the Strawberry Poke Cake. Now I’m throwing an awesome Banana Pudding Poke Cake recipe into the mix and it’s going to make choosing a favorite even harder!
This cake is one of my favorite things to bring to summer parties and potlucks and I’m pretty sure it’s why I always get invited back! Whether it’s for a special occasion or everyday dessert, you can’t go wrong with this one.
Banana Pudding Poke Cake Recipe
Cake recipes don’t get much easier than this one! Keep reading to see just how easy it is and get some quick tips and tricks that’ll help you totally nail this recipe!
Step 1: The first thing you’ll need to do is bake the cake. In a medium bowl, mix the cake mix, eggs, water, and oil. Pour into a 9 x 13 pan and cook at 350° for 35 minutes.
Remove the cake from the oven and let it cool on the counter for 15 minutes. Then place the warm cake in the refrigerator for another 15 minutes. You’ll want to be sure that’s it’s cool before poking the holes.
Step 2: Poke holes in the cake with the handle of a wooden spoon.
Step 3: Using instant pudding mix, make the banana pudding recipe according to the directions on the box. Pour the pudding mixture over the cake, spreading it evenly and filling the holes as you go. This pudding gives it the perfect banana flavor but you can also use vanilla pudding if that’s what you have.
Step 4: Spread Cool Whip (or homemade whipped cream) over the entire cake, then lay fresh banana slices across the top.
Step 5: Sprinkle crushed cookies evenly over the top of the cake. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Step 6: Now for the best part! Cut your banana poke cake into 12 slices and serve!
How Can I Make My Banana Pudding Poke Cake Recipe More Soft?
While this recipe calls for a boxed cake mix, you could always make your own favorite yellow cake recipe from scratch. If you do that, here are a few secrets to getting the perfect soft and spongy cake:
- Use cake flour instead of all-purpose flour.
- Avoid overmixing or undermixing the cake batter.
- Add a bit of sour cream into the cake batter to make it both richer and softer.
- Always use butter at room temperature while making the cake batter.
- Take a few extra minutes to cream the butter and sugar and continue beating until the mixture turns fluffy and light in color.
- Make sure the eggs are at room temperature before you add them to the cake.
How Do I Store the Banana Pudding Poke Cake?
You won’t have leftovers very often but on the off chance you do, you can refrigerate leftovers in an air tight container for 3-5 days.
You can also freeze your cake for up to a month. Just wrap it in plastic wrap, then seal in a plastic bag. I like to freeze individual slices so it’s easier to just get one piece when your sweet tooth kicks in. For the best results, thaw your cake in the refrigerator first.
This banana pudding poke cake is the perfect dessert because it appeals to pretty much everyone! However, if you feel like taking it to the next level, you can come up with some fun variations too!
- Try replacing the box of yellow cake mix for another cake mix flavor that compliments the bananas. Strawberry cake mix would be a great choice!
- Experiment with different toppings and add fresh blueberries or sliced cherries with the sliced bananas.
- Who doesn’t love caramel sauce, right? Try drizzling a little over the whipping cream to really make the flavors of this banana pudding cake pop!
Did you love this delicious dessert? Here are a few more quick dessert recipes you may want to try…
- In a medium bowl, mix the cake mix, eggs, water, and oil. Pour into a 9 x 13 pan and cook at 350° for 35 minutes. Remove it from the oven and let it cool on the counter for 15 minutes. Place it in the refrigerator for another 15 minutes. You'll want to be sure the cake is cool before poking holes.
- Poke holes in the cake with a wooden spoon handle.
- Prepare the banana pudding according to the package directions. Pour pudding over the cake, spreading evenly and filling all the holes.
- Spread the Cool Whip over the entire cake, then lay the slices of banana across the top.
- Sprinkle crushed vanilla wafer cookies evenly over the top of the cake, then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Now for the best part! Cut the cake into 12 slices and serve!