This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This easy Football Cheese Ball with bacon and jalapeño is the perfect way to celebrate the start of football season. Packed with delicious cheesy flavor, it’s the perfect game day party snack!
Raise your appetizer game with this cute football cheese ball. A flavorful cheese mixture loaded with bacon, jalapeño, pecans and seasonings, this appetizer tastes great with all kinds of bread and crackers.
Like any great party snack, this cheese ball is incredibly easy to make. Plus, it can be prepared hours in advance, so it’s ready whenever you are.
Also called a jalapeño popper football cheese ball, it’s perfect for the big game and will be the talk of your party. Tastier and way more fun than ordinary cheese and crackers, this football cheese ball will be a new fall game day essential.
Why We Love This Recipe
Ideal for Game Day – This fun football-shaped cheese ball couldn’t be a more perfect tailgating or Super Bowl party appetizer. It’s sure to be a huge hit at your fall football gatherings.
Easy – This snack can be assembled in minutes, for a simple to make treat that your party guests will love.
Versatile – You can serve this with all kinds of dippers and it works for just about any occasion. Just skip the football shape and make this recipe for all your fall and holiday parties.
- Cream cheese, softened
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Ranch seasoning
- Green onion, chopped
- Cooked, chopped bacon, divided
- Chopped pecan pieces
- Fresh jalapeños, finely diced
- Worcestershire sauce
- White cheddar or American cheese
- Crackers and pretzels for dipping
How to Make a Football Cheese Ball With Bacon
Step 1: Combine cream cheese, jalapeno, cheddar cheese, green onion, ½ cup chopped bacon, ranch seasoning, and Worcestershire sauce together in a bowl.
Step 2: Fold all ingredients together. Be sure the mixture is well combined and evenly distributed.
Step 3: Place the cream cheese mixture on a cutting board. Use your hands to mold it into the shape of a football.
Step 4: Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
Step 5: When you’re ready to serve, combine the remaining bacon pieces and nuts in an even layer on a plate. Unwrap the cheese ball and roll it in the bacon mixture. Gently press the mixture into the cheese.
Step 6: Cut the cheese slices into strips to make the football laces. Serve with crackers and other snacks and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
- Spray some non-stick cooking spray on your hands when forming the football shape. This will help prevent sticking.
- Make sure the cream cheese is at room temperature before you begin. To ensure that it blends smoothly, you can also beat the cream cheese by itself for a minute or two before adding the other ingredients (this is helpful if you’re like me and always forget to set it out ahead of time).
- For best results, grate your own cheddar cheese, rather than using the pre-shredded variety. I like to use an aged sharp cheddar since it’s packed with flavor.
- Add even more flavor with garlic powder, crushed red pepper flakes, or other fresh herbs.
- If you are in a rush, you can use pre-cooked bacon bits or pieces instead. Just be sure to get the kind made from real bacon.
How Do I Store This?
Wrap the leftover cheese ball in plastic wrap or place it in an airtight container. It should keep in the refrigerator for up to a week.
What To Serve With A Cheese Ball
The great thing about this is that you can serve it with a variety of snacks. These are some of our favorites:
- Pita Chips
- Mini Bagels
- Crusty Bread
- Raw Veggies
Just be sure to have a cheese spreader or knife handy, as the cheese ball will be too firm to dip anything straight into it, especially when you first set it out.
More Game Day Snacks
Looking for more easy football appetizers? You can’t go wrong serving any of these delicious recipes at your next game day party!
- Easy Beer Cheese Dip
- Cold Jalapeno Popper Dip
- Mini Cheese Balls
- Pickles in a Blanket
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Easy BLT Pinwheels
Football Cheese Ball
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 fresh jalapeno finely diced
- ¼ cup green onion chopped
- 1 cup chopped bacon cooked and divided
- 1 ounce ranch seasoning usually 1 packet
- 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- 3 slices white cheddar or american cheese
- Crackers and pretzels for dipping
- Combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese, jalapeno, green onion, ½ cup chopped bacon, ranch seasoning, and Worcestershire sauce in a large bowl.16 ounces cream cheese, 2 cups cheddar cheese, 1 fresh jalapeno, ¼ cup green onion, 1 cup chopped bacon, 1 ounce ranch seasoning, 2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Fold all ingredients together until everything is well combined and evenly distributed.
- Place the cheeseball on a cutting board and shape it into a football shape.
- Wrap the cheese ball in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Before serving, combine ½ cup bacon and pecans in an even layer on a plate.⅓ cup chopped pecans, 1 cup chopped bacon
- Roll the cheese ball in the pecan and bacon mixture.
- Cut the cheese slices into strips to make the football laces. Serve and enjoy!