This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This broccoli salad with craisins is the perfect easy recipe for everything from cookouts to holiday parties. Craisins give this crunchy salad extra sweetness and flavor for a healthy side dish that everyone will love.
Why we love this Easy Broccoli Salad
- While some side dishes work best for a specific time of year, for example roasted sweet potatoes in fall, this tasty recipe is great anytime.
- It’s so versatile that it works as both a side dish for your favorite grill recipes or the perfect addition to your holiday dinner.
- Broccoli is both healthy and delicious! Not only is it a great source of protein and fiber but it also contains vitamin A, vitamin C, folic acid, iron, potassium, calcium and more. Shh…the kid never have to know…they’ll just want to eat this family favorite because it tastes so good!
- It’s easy! This is one of those salad recipes that you can whip up in very little time (which busy moms everywhere can appreciate!)
Ingredients And Variations
Broccoli – The main ingredient, this is what adds the crunch and nutrition to this popular salad recipe. We used regular broccoli for but you can use fresh broccoli florets if you prefer.
Craisins – These dried cranberries add a tasty sweetness but you don’t have them in the pantry, feel free to substitute raisins instead.
Bacon – Need I say more? A little crispy bacon makes an already great recipe even better.
Mayonnaise – While classic broccoli salad uses mayo, you can change the flavor up a little by using honey mustard instead. If you want to make a healthier version, you can swap out the may for Greek yogurt instead.
Red Onion – While red onions add a lot of flavor, you can go for a more mild onion taste by switching out your red onion for green onions instead.
Sunflower Seeds – Sunflower seeds add a little crunch but you can give this healthy salad a fall twist by using pumpkin seeds instead.
How To Make Broccoli Salad With Craisins
Chop raw broccoli into small pieces and place in a large mixing bowl.
Next, combine broccoli with onions, sunflower kernels, cranberries, cheddar cheese and bacon crumbles. too. Mix well.
In a separate medium bowl, mix mayonnaise, sugar, apple cider vinegar and lemon juice.
Mix until smooth and creamy.
Fold the creamy dressing into broccoli mixture until the salad is evenly coated.
Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Can broccoli salad be made ahead of time?
Yes, you can totally make this easy broccoli salad recipe ahead of time. Combine the salad ingredients (broccoli, onions, cranberries, cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon) but keep the crunchy sunflower seeds separate. Prepare the dressing but keep it separate as well.
Refrigerate until ready to serve then toss the broccoli mix, dressing and sunflower seeds together in a large bowl and serve.
How to store broccoli salad
Your broccoli salad will stay fresh for up to 48 hours if stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. However, for the best flavor, it’s a good idea to eat it within 24 hours of making it.
Do you serve broccoli salad hot or cold?
While broccoli can be eaten hot or cold, this delicious side dish is best served cold.
Can you use frozen broccoli in broccoli salad?
I don’t recommend using frozen broccoli for this recipe. Once frozen, it holds too much water and can may your salad soggy.
There are so many things to love about this crunchy broccoli salad! It tastes amazing, is filled with good-for-you ingredients and it can be whipped up in no time! If you’re looking for the best broccoli salad recipe to serve at your next gathering, this will be a crowd pleaser for sure!
- 2 heads broccoli (about 8 cups chopped)
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 cup shelled sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup craisins (dried cranberries)
- 1 pkg bacon (cooked crispy & crumbled)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
For the dressing
- Chop broccoli and place in a large bowl.
- Add onions, sunflower seeds, cranberries, cheddar cheese and crumbled bacon. Mix well.
- In a separate medium bowl, mix mayonnaise, sugar, apple cider vinegar and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Fold dressing into broccoli mixture until the salad is evenly coated.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Make this recipe ahead of time by keeping the broccoli mixture, sunflower seeds and dressing in separate containers. Combine when ready to serve.
You can save time by buying a bag of bacon crumbles from the grocery store. One cup of bacon crumbles is about the equivalent as a pound of bacon.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 402Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 1246mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 5gSugar: 16gProtein: 8g