This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Oreo Poke Cake will make chocolate lovers think they’ve died and gone to heaven! It’s a rich, indulgent dessert that everyone will love and an easy dessert recipe that’s perfect for any occasion!
We can’t get enough of Oreo cookies in my house! We’ve made everything from Oreo Cheesecake Bites to an amazing (and super easy) Oreo Milkshake. That’s why, when I needed a dessert for my weekly girl’s night with the neighbors, I decided to try an Oreo Poke cake!
If you’ve ever had one, it’s pretty obvious how a poke cake gets its name. You basically poke holes throughout a baked box mix cake using the back of a wooden spoon handle, then fill it with something yummy. In this case, that something yummy would be vanilla pudding. While you can make your own vanilla pudding, I’m all about the easy recipes, so I used instant vanilla pudding and it tastes amazing!
Once you see how easy and delicious this poke cake is, you should also try this Strawberry Poke or this amazing Banana Pudding Poke Cake! Trust me, your family will thank you!!!!!
💖Why We Love This Recipe
- Uses a boxed cake mix that takes little effort to make.
- Tons of chocolate and Oreo flavor for all the chocolate lovers out there.
- Easy recipe that can be made ahead a day or two in advance of serving it.
- Perfect dessert for potlucks, birthday parties or just about any gathering.
What’s Needed for this Oreo Poke Cake Recipe
- Chocolate cake mix (PLUS all ingredients listed on the box directions needed to make the cake)
- Vanilla instant pudding-you can use white chocolate pudding mix
- Milk-you’ll need whole milk to make the pudding
- Whipped topping- we used Cool Whip
- Oreo cookies-or other chocolate sandwich cookies
- Chocolate syrup
How to Make an Easy Oreo Poke Cake
Step 1: In a large bowl, prepare the cake according to the package directions. Pour batter in a 9×13 pan and bake according to instructions on back of the box.
Step 2: While the cake is baking, combine the vanilla pudding mix and milk in a medium bowl and mix until combined and smooth.
Step 3: When it’s the cake is done, allow it to cool for a few minutes, then using the handle of a wooden spoon poke holes in the warm cake. It’s important to poke your holes while the cake is still warm so that the cake crust will break more easily, and the pudding will soak in better.
Step 4: Pour the creamy pudding mixture over the top of the cake.
Step 5: Spread the pudding evenly across the surface, making sure to guide it into all the holes of the cake. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Step 6: While the cake is chilling, crush 5 Oreos in a Ziploc bag. Stir into the Cool Whip.
Step 7: Using an offset spatula, spread the whipped topping and crushed Oreos mixture over the entire cake. Refrigerate for another 30 minutes
Step 8: Crush the remaining 15 Oreo cookies. Just before serving, sprinkle them over the top of the cake, then drizzle with chocolate syrup.
Serve immediately (it won’t last long, I promise!).
How Do You Store Oreo Cookie Poke Cake?
If you’re lucky, you’ll have enough left over to last a few days. Just keep it stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It’s even better after the first day because the pudding seeps further into the cake, making it even more moist and delicious!
How Long Can Oreo Pudding Poke Cake Last?
Keep the baking dish covered well with plastic wrap in the fridge and you can enjoy your poke cake for 2-3 days after you make it (but good luck…the leftovers for this go fast!).
Oreo Chocolate Poke Cake Variations and Add-ins
Cake- I used a traditional chocolate cake mix, you could use a German chocolate cake mix or for a dark chocolate cake, you can use devil’s food cake mix.
Pudding- Have fun and use any pudding flavors you like. If you want a more intense chocolate flavor, you can use a chocolate instant pudding mix. Another great option is Oreo Cookies & Cream instant pudding!
Cookies-Regular chocolate Oreos give this delicious cake that traditional cookies and cream flavor, but you can add a fun twist by using Peanut Butter Oreos, Mint Oreos or even Golden Oreos.
Toppings- We usually just use regular chocolate syrup you make top ice cream with or chocolate milk with, but you can use a homemade chocolate ganache by melting chocolate chips with a little heavy cream.
Garnish- We used additional crushed cookies, but you can add some chocolate sprinkles too. If you’re making this for Halloween, orange sprinkles would look awesome. For a pretty pop of color, you can scatter a few maraschinos cherries on the top of the whipped cream and crushed Oreo cookies.
Want More Oreo Dessert Recipes?
- Oreo Cupcakes
- Chocolate Chip Oreo Brownie Bars
- White Chocolate Covered Oreos
- Oreo Cheesecake Bars
- Easy Oreo Fluff
- 65 Best Oreo Cookie Desserts
Oreo Poke Cake Recipe
For The Cake
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
For the pudding:
- 1 box vanilla instant pudding mix 3.4 ounce size
- 2 cups milk
For the topping
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- 20 Oreo cookies
- 3 tbsp chocolate syrup
- Prepare and bake the cake according to the directions on the box.1 box chocolate cake mix, 1 cup water, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 2 eggs
- While the cake is baking, combine the pudding mix and milk.1 box vanilla instant pudding mix, 2 cups milk
- Once cake is finished baking, take the handle of a wooden spoon and poke holes in the cake (do this while the cake is still warm).
- Pour the pudding over the top of the cake, guiding it into the holes.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes. While the cake is chilling, crush 5 Oreos and stir them into the Cool Whip.8 oz Cool Whip, 20 Oreo cookies
- Spread the Cool Whip over the cake and refrigerate for another 30 minutes.
- Crush the remaining 15 Oreo cookies. Just before serving, sprinkle them over the top of the cake.
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup and serve immediately.3 tbsp chocolate syrup
- Have fun and use any pudding flavors you like. If you want a more intense chocolate flavor, you can use a chocolate instant pudding mix. Another great option is Oreo Cookies & Cream instant pudding!
- We usually just use regular chocolate syrup you make top ice cream with or chocolate milk with, but you can use a homemade chocolate ganache by melting chocolate chips with a little heavy cream.
This looks and sounds delicious. I have all ingredients so I will be making this recipe. I am craving something chocolate!! YUM!!
If you’re craving chocolate, this is definitely the recipe for you! Can’t wait to hear how you like it 🙂
This looks wonderful! I have everything except vanilla pudding but I would imagine a chocolate pudding filling would not be unwelcome. Thanks for this idea. I will be trying it as soon as I have room in my post-Thanksgiving refrigerator.
Yes, you can totally use chocolate pudding! There’s no such thing as too much chocolate, right? Enjoy! 🙂