This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Oreo Poke Cake will make chocolate lovers think they’ve died and gone to heaven! It’s a rich, indulgent dessert that everyone will love, and an easy dessert recipe that’s perfect for any occasion!
We can’t get enough Oreo cookies in my house! We’ve made everything from Oreo Cheesecake Bites to an amazing (and super easy) Oreo Milkshake. That’s why, when I needed a dessert for my weekly girl’s night with the neighbors, I decided to try an Oreo Poke Cake!
If you’ve ever had one, it’s pretty obvious how a poke cake gets its name. You basically poke holes throughout a baked box mix cake using the back of a wooden spoon handle, then fill it with something yummy. In this case, something yummy would be vanilla pudding.
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe
- Easy to make: This Oreo cake uses a boxed cake mix that takes little effort to make.
- Delicious flavors: Tons of chocolate and Oreo flavor for all the chocolate lovers out there.
- Great make ahead dessert: This easy recipe can be made ahead a day or two in advance.
- Ideal for any occasion: Perfect dessert for potlucks, birthday parties or just about any gathering.
What’s Needed for this Oreo Poke Cake Recipe
- Chocolate cake mix: (PLUS all ingredients listed on the box directions needed to make the cake)
- Vanilla instant pudding: you can use white chocolate pudding mix
- Milk: you’ll need whole milk to make the pudding
- Whipped topping: we used Cool Whip
- Oreo cookies: or other chocolate sandwich cookies
- Chocolate syrup
How to Make an Easy Oreo Poke Cake
Step 1: In a large bowl, prepare chocolate cake according to box directions. Pour the cake batter in a 9×13 pan and bake according to instructions on back of the box.
Step 2: While the cake is baking, combine the vanilla pudding mix and milk in a medium bowl and mix until combined and smooth.
Step 3: When the cake is done, let it cool for a few minutes, then use the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes in the warm cake.
Note: It’s important to poke holes in the top while the cake is still warm so that the cake crust will break more easily, and the pudding will soak in better.
Step 4: Pour the pudding mixture over the top of the cake.
Step 5: Spread the pudding evenly across the surface, making sure to guide it into all the holes of the cake. Refrigerate the cake for at least 30 minutes.
Note: Make sure you pour pudding around the edges and in the corners of the cake too.
Step 6: While the cake is chilling, crush 5 Oreos in a Ziploc bag. Stir into the Cool Whip.
Step 7: Using an offset spatula, spread the whipped topping and crushed Oreos mixture over the entire cake. Chill the cake in the fridge for another 30 minutes.
Step 8: Crush the remaining 15 Oreo cookies. Just before serving, sprinkle them over the top of the cake, then drizzle with chocolate syrup.
Step 9. Serve and enjoy your delicious Oreo pudding cake!
How Do You Store Oreo Cookie Poke Cake?
If you’re lucky, you’ll have enough left over to last a few days. Just keep the cake in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It’s even better after the first day because the pudding seeps further into the cake, making it even more moist and delicious!
Can I Make This Oreo Poke Cake Ahead of Time?
You can make this cake and keep it covered well with plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 2-3 days after you make it.
Can I Use Homemade Whipped Cream?
Oreo pudding poke cake is topped with whipped cream, crushed cookies, and syrup. You can make homemade whipped cream, but you’ll want to stabilize it with a little mascarpone or crème fraiche to help it hold up to the toppings.
Oreo Chocolate Poke Cake Variations and Add-ins
- Cake- I used a traditional chocolate cake mix, you could use a German chocolate cake mix. We love this cake with devil’s food cake mix too.
- Pudding- Have fun and use any pudding flavors you like. If you want a more intense chocolate flavor, you can use a chocolate instant pudding mix. White chocolate instant pudding is another great option. You can also use instant Oreo pudding mix, or cookies and cream pudding.
- Cookies- Regular chocolate Oreos give this delicious cake that traditional cookies and cream flavor, but you can add a fun twist by using Peanut Butter Oreos, Mint Oreos or even Golden Oreos.
- Toppings- Our cake is drizzled with regular chocolate syrup, but you can use a homemade chocolate ganache by melting chocolate chips with a little heavy cream.
- Garnish- We used additional crushed cookies, but you can add some chocolate sprinkles too. If you’re making this for Halloween, orange sprinkles would look awesome. For a pretty pop of color, you can scatter a few maraschino cherries on the top of the whipped cream and crushed Oreo cookies.
Want More Oreo Dessert Recipes?
If you love Oreo cookies as much as we do, you’ll want to check out these recipes:
- Oreo Cupcakes
- Chocolate Chip Oreo Brownie Bars
- White Chocolate Covered Oreos
- Oreo Cheesecake Bars
- Easy Oreo Fluff
- Oreo Cheesecake Balls
- 65 Best Oreo Cookie Desserts
Oreo Poke Cake Recipe
For the pudding:
- 1 box vanilla instant pudding mix 3.4 ounce size
- 2 cups milk
For the topping
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- 20 Oreo cookies
- 3 tbsp chocolate syrup
- Prepare and bake the cake according to the directions on the box.1 box chocolate cake mix, 1 cup water, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 2 eggs
- While the cake is baking, combine the pudding mix and milk.1 box vanilla instant pudding mix, 2 cups milk
- Once cake is finished baking, take the handle of a wooden spoon and poke holes in the cake (do this while the cake is still warm).
- Pour the pudding over the top of the cake, guiding it into the holes.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes. While the cake is chilling, crush 5 Oreos and stir them into the Cool Whip.8 oz Cool Whip, 20 Oreo cookies
- Spread the Cool Whip over the cake and refrigerate for another 30 minutes.
- Crush the remaining 15 Oreo cookies. Just before serving, sprinkle them over the top of the cake.
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup and serve immediately.3 tbsp chocolate syrup
- Have fun and use any pudding flavors you like. If you want a more intense chocolate flavor, you can use a chocolate instant pudding mix. Another great option is Oreo Cookies & Cream instant pudding!
- We usually just use regular chocolate syrup you make top ice cream with or chocolate milk with, but you can use a homemade chocolate ganache by melting chocolate chips with a little heavy cream.