This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This decadent Chocolate Poke Cake is a rich and delicious treat that will satisfy any chocolate craving. Not only is this crowd-pleasing dessert amazingly good, it’s super easy to make too!
I love a good poke cake and have made everything from Strawberry Cakes to Banana Pudding Poke Cakes. There’s nothing like a classic Chocolate Poke Cake though!
This addictively delicious and moist cake is packed with tons of chocolate flavor in every layer. It starts with a rich devil’s food cake, which is filled with a creamy pudding mixture and then topped a sweet chocolate frosting.
Make this cake and you just can’t go wrong. It’s a chocolate lover’s dream and always a favorite at parties and potlucks!
What Is A Poke Cake?
These desserts get their name from the holes that are poked into the top of the cake. A filling, usually pudding, Jello or sweetened condensed milk is poured into the holes and allowed to soak in.. This creates an indulgent cake that’s both moist and loaded with flavor! .
Why We Love This Recipe
Great for Chocolate Lovers – With dark chocolate cake, creamy chocolate pudding mixture, and rich chocolate frosting, this cake has three layers of chocolate goodness.
Stays Moist – Thanks to the pudding mixture that soaks into the holes of the cake, this delicious dessert is guaranteed to stay moist. Your leftovers will taste just as good the next day!
Easy – With a boxed cake mix as the base, this treat is easy to make but so rich and delicious that no one will believe how simple it is.
For the Cake:
- Devil’s food cake mix (or chocolate cake mix)
- Instant chocolate pudding mix (3.9 oz)
For the Frosting:
- Powdered sugar
- Instant chocolate pudding mix (5.9 oz)
- Cool Whip (or homemade whipped cream)
- Mini chocolate chips (optional)
How to Make Chocolate Poke Cake
Step 1: Prepare the cake in a 9×13 inch pan according to the box directions. Allow the cake to cool completely after baking. Once the cake has cooled, poke holes all over the cake.
Step 2: Whisk together the 3.9-ounce box of chocolate pudding mix and 2 cups milk in a medium bowl.
Step 3: Quickly pour the pudding mixture over top of the cake and into the holes of the cake. Allow the cake to chill for 1 hour.
Step 4: To make the frosting, whisk together the large box of chocolate pudding, 1 cup milk, powdered sugar, and whipped topping. Frost the cake.
Step 5: Sprinkle miniature chocolate chips over top of the frosting. Chill for another hour and serve.
Tips & Tricks
- Be sure to pour the pudding mixture over the cake before the pudding has had a chance to set.
- The end of a wooden spoon is a great tool to use for making the holes in the cake.
- After pouring the pudding mixture over the holes in the cake, give the pan a few taps on the counter to help make sure that the holes fill completely.
- If you have a favorite homemade chocolate cake recipe, you can make the cake from scratch, rather than starting with a boxed mix.
- For even more chocolatey goodness, you can use chocolate whipped cream in place of Cool Whip and/or drizzle with chocolate sauce when you’re finished.
Cover your leftover cake with plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator. It should keep for about 2-3 days.
Sure – You could use regular chocolate cake, German chocolate cake mix or any other flavor you like.
Absolutely! I’d recommend making it the night before you plan to serve it. That way, the flavors will soak in and your cake will be even more moist and delicious.
More Easy Poke Cake Recipes
If you liked this decadent chocolate cake, you’ll want to try these out too!
Chocolate Poke Cake Recipe
For The Cake
- Prepare the cake in a 9×13 inch pan according to the box directions. Allow the cake to cool completely after baking. Once the cake has cooled, poke holes all over the top of the cake.1 box Devil’s Food Cake Mix, 1 1/4 cups water, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 3 eggs
- Whisk together the 3.9-ounce box of chocolate pudding mix and 2 cups milk in a medium bowl.1 box instant chocolate pudding mix, 2 cups milk
- Quickly pour the pudding mixture over top of the cake and into the holes of the cake. Allow the cake to chill for 1 hour.
- To make the frosting, whisk together the 5.9-ounce chocolate pudding mix, 1 cup milk, powdered sugar, and Cool Whip. Frost the cake.1 box instant chocolate pudding, 1 cup milk, 1/4 cup powdered sugar, 8 ounces Cool Whip
- Sprinkle miniature chocolate chips over top of the frosting. Chill for another hour and serve.1/4 cup mini chocolate chips