This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Hocus Pocus Spellbook craft is the perfect craft for your Hocus Pocus movie night or Halloween party. Easy and budget friendly, it’s a fun activity the whole family will love!
Table of Contents
Hocus Pocus Spellbook Craft
If you love the Hocus Pocus movies as much as we do, you’re going to love this fun spellbook popsicle stick craft. It’s the perfect craft for witches of all ages.
Made with easy to find craft supplies like popsicle sticks, craft foam and acrylic paint, it’s budget friendly as well. In fact, you can find many of these items at your local dollar store or Walmart. After spending all that money on Halloween costumes, it’s nice to be able to save on something, right?
So gather the kids, make some fun snacks like these Spellbook Brownies and get a little crafty.
Why We Love This Craft
Fun for Movie Fans – Fans of the Hocus Pocus movies will love creating this spooky Halloween craft.
Great Party Activity – This is a great way to keep the kids busy at a Halloween party, or as a fun fall weekend activity.
Inexpensive – Find just about everything you need for this craft at the Dollar Tree and create some budget-friendly fun for the whole family.
- Craft Sticks, Jumbo – Dollar Tree
- Glue Gun and Glue Sticks – Dollar Tree
- Permanent Black Marker – Dollar Tree
- Acrylic Craft Paint – Light Grey, Dark Grey, Brown
- Dimensional Fabric Paint – Black
- Craft Foam, Brown – Dollar Tree
- Wiggle Eye, Blue – Dollar Tree
- Rhinestones, Self-Adhesive – Dollar Tree
- Book of Spells Patterns
More Craft Ideas
Hocus Pocus Spellbook Craft
- To create the base for the Book of Spells, measure and mark eight jumbo craft sticks to 5” long using a ruler and pencil. Cut the craft sticks with scissors, then line them up horizontally on your work surface.
- Attach two jumbo craft sticks vertically to the left edge of the book using the glue gun. Be sure that the rounded edges of the horizontal craft sticks, show a border of about a quarter inch.
- Flip the book over and trim the rounded edges off a jumbo craft stick, then attach it to the cut edge with the glue gun. NOTE: You can use liquid craft glue for this project, but you will have to wait for it to dry.
- Apply a base coat of brown acrylic craft paint to the book. Then, paint the spine with dark grey acrylic craft paint. Let dry and apply a second coat, if necessary.
- Download, print, and cut out the Book of Spells patterns. Trace the patterns onto craft foam, and then cut them out. Use the glue gun to attach the eyelids to the wiggle eyes.
- Apply a basecoat of light grey acrylic paint to the bracket, and all three snakes. Apply the paint roughly, so that the brown craft foam shows through. Set aside to dry.
- Fit the painted foam pieces onto the book. then draw the stitched lines onto the book with a pencil.
- Remove the foam pieces and fill in the stiches with black dimensional fabric paint. Set aside to allow the paint to dry. Add the dots on the book bracket, and the snake eyes with black dimensional fabric paint.
- Add self-adhesive brown rhinestones to the spine of the book and onto the book bracket. NOTE: Using a tool like the tip of a craft knife can help with placing the small rhinestones.
- Use the glue gun to attach the snakes, bracket, and wiggle eye onto the book.
- To finish the Book of Spells, add the details with a permanent black marker. Outline the two snakes and draw a crosshatch scale pattern on the long snake.
- Parents may want to cut the craft sticks for younger children.
- You can use gray craft foam for the snakes and bracket if you can find it. That way you won’t have to paint them gray.
- You can also use liquid glue for this craft. You will just have to wait a bit longer for it to dry.
- If planning this as a party activity, you may want to trace and/or cut out the foam shapes ahead of time.