This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These pickles in a blanket are the perfect combination of tangy pickles wrapped in warm, flaky crescent dough! A fun twist on the traditional pigs in a blanket recipe, this flavorful and creative appetizer will be a huge hit at your next gathering.
If you love pickles, this pickles in a blanket recipe will be your new favorite treat. It’s like the classic pigs in a blanket with mini hot dogs wrapped in crescent roll dough, but this version replaces the meat with a mini gherkins pickle and a layer of crispy cheese and ham!
Brushed with butter and fresh herbs and baked to a perfect golden brown, this savory treat is full of tangy, creamy, and salty goodness for a perfect flavor contrast. They’re easy to assemble and quick to make, for a unique and delicious appetizer that’s the ultimate guilty pleasure snack.
Perfect for a cocktail party or a game day celebration, this easy treat is as tasty as it looks and makes the perfect addition to your next gathering.
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe
Great for Parties – This popular snack is a delicious and crowd-pleasing appetizer recipe in a perfect bite-sized package.
Unique – You might expect to find a sausage or hotdog inside, but the tartness of the pickle is a unique surprise that packs a ton of flavor.
Easy – These treats are made with simple ingredients and are super easy to assemble. With just minutes of prep time, this recipe is a great option for any occasion.
- Crescent roll dough
- Cream cheese, softened
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Ham, cut in thirds (you can also use a piece of salami or other lunch meat)
- Mini dill pickles (gherkins)
- Butter, melted
- Garlic powder
How To Make Pickles in a Blanket
Step 1: Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Unroll the dough and separate it into triangles. Cut each triangle in half lengthwise.
Step 2: Spread a layer of cream cheese over the top of each triangle, then top it with a layer of shredded cheddar cheese. Lightly press down on the cheddar to hold it in place.
Step 3: Add a ham slice, then top the ham with a pickle at the large end of the triangle.
Step 4: Roll the dough around the toppings. Place on the cookie sheet.
Step 5: Brush the top of each crescent roll with melted butter (you can also use an egg wash) and sprinkle the parsley and garlic powder on top.
Step 6: Bake for 10 to 13 minutes, or until the dough is golden brown. Remove from the oven and place on a paper towel to cool slightly before serving.
Tips & Tricks
- If you’re preparing these ahead of time, you can wrap them in plastic wrap and keep them refrigerated until you’re ready to bake them.
- Serve these with a side of mustard to use as a dipping sauce. The mustard will pair perfectly with both the pickles and the ham. Ranch dipping sauce would also be delicious.
- If you don’t have parsley or garlic powder, you can mix in some paprika, everything bagel seasoning, or dill. You can also combine some seasonings or bacon bits with the cream cheese before spreading it over the dough.
- You can cut a slice of cheese into triangles and use it in place of the shredded cheese. Also feel free to use different kinds. Provolone or Swiss would work great for this recipe too.
Allow any leftovers to cool to room temperature, then place them in airtight container in the refrigerator. They should keep for up to 2-3 days.
Sure – if you don’t have the mini ones, kosher dill pickle spears will work, but you’ll probably need to cut them in half and quarter them to get the correct size for the crescent triangles.
Absolutely – just be sure to spray the fryer basket with nonstick cooking spray or a bit of olive oil and don’t overcrowd it. You may have to make them in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.
More Party Appetizers
- Easy BLT Pinwheels
- Easy Cheeseburger Cups
- Jalapeño Popper Pinwheels
- Fried Goat Cheese Balls
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
Pickles In A Blanket
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unroll the crescent roll dough and separate it into triangles. Cut each triangle in half lengthwise.1 tube crescent roll dough
- Spread a layer of cream cheese over the top of each triangle, then top the cream cheese with a layer of shredded cheddar cheese. Lightly press the cheddar into the cream cheese to hold it in place.4 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place a ham slice on top of the cheese, then top the ham with a pickle at the large end of the triangle.6 slices ham, 16 mini dill pickles
- Roll the crescent dough around the toppings and place on the baking sheet.
- Brush the top of each crescent roll with melted butter (you can also use an egg wash) and sprinkle the parsley and garlic powder on top.2 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon parsley, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Bake for 10 to 13 minutes, or until the dough is golden brown. Remove from the oven and place on a paper towel to cool slightly before serving.