This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You don’t have to have a ticket for the Hogwarts Express to enjoy these Harry Potter Pumpkin Pasties. These delicious little hand pies are perfect for your next Harry Potter party or movie night!
Originally published October 2021
By now, it should be no surprise that my family are huge Harry Potter fans! We’ve read all the Harry Potter books, watched the entire Harry Potter series and visit the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios whenever we get the chance.
If you’re as big a fan as we are, then you’ll remember these treats from the movies. They were sold by the trolley witch pushing the “Honeydukes Express Trolley Cart,” on the train headed to Hogwarts.
These magical little confections were the first treat Harry tried on the trolley. So, needless to say, when I was gifted a copy of The Unofficial Hogwart’s Cookbook, I was so excited to see the famous Pumpkin Pasties recipe included. These pasties are based on this recipe, but with a few short cuts.
What is a Pasty?
The original recipe was for Cornish Pasties, which are little hand pies filled with beef and potatoes. Using the same method, these tasty little beauties are a sweet pumpkin version. Think of pumpkin pie spice in a cute little pastry filled bundle!
Harry Potter-inspired Pumpkin Pasties are so easy to make and are perfect for a quick homemade snack the whole family will enjoy!
There are so many more Harry Potter foods to choose from from too! They’re fun to make and the kids just love them. Chocolate Frogs, the ever so popular Pumpkin Juice, and these quick and easy Harry Potter Acid Pops are just a few that we’ve made and enjoyed.
Ingredients in Pumpkin Pasties
For the Pie Dough
- Refrigerated pie crust
For the Pumpkin Pie Filling
- Pumpkin puree
- Granulated sugar
- Kosher salt
Making the Best Pumpkin Pasties
For the Pie Crust And Pumpkin Pasty Filling
While you can certainly make your own pastry dough, we are using a refrigerated, store-bought dough for this recipe. It makes deliciously flaky pie crust and is a big time saver. Plus, since we’re using refrigerated pie dough, there are only a few simple steps to prepare it for filling.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2: Unroll pie crust onto a cutting board or other flat surface. Take a biscuit cutter or pastry cutter and cut 4 inch circles in the dough.
Step 3: Take the dough circles and place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Be sure to gather the scraps and roll them out to get more pasty circles out of the dough.
Step 4: In a small bowl, stir together, until well mixed, the pumpkin puree, sugar, cinnamon and salt.
Assembling the Homemade Pumpkin Pasties
Step 1: In a small bowl, beat the egg and set it aside. You will use it as an egg wash once the pasties are assembled.
Step 2: Place about two tablespoons of pumpkin filling into the center of each dough circle. Be careful not to add to much or the edges will be difficult to seal. Fold the dough in half, making a half circle.
Step 3: Crimp the edges of the dough by pressing all around the edges of each circle with a fork. Repeat until the remaining dough circles are filled.
Step 4: Use a pastry brush to brush the tops of each pasty with the egg wash. Sprinkle each with sugar (optional).
Step 5: Using a small sharp knife, cut two slits in the top of each pie to vent. Place in the preheated oven.
Step 6: Bake for 15 minutes. Rotate the pan and bake for another 10 or until golden brown all over.
Step 7: Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes. Enjoy!
Tips and Variations for Perfect Pumpkin Hand Pies
- Don’t over stuff: You may have to adjust the amount of filling based on the size. Too much filling will cause it to ooze out the side of the hand pies where you’ve sealed them
- Start with room temperature dough: Cold dough is less pliable so by allow the dough to come to room temp, it will be easier to gently stretch around the filling.
- Make them into savory pumpkin pasties: While these are a sweet version, you can make a savory version by omitting the sugar and substituting it with savory herbs like sage, rosemary and thyme.
- Make them in advance: If you know you’re going to need these pumpkin pasties in advance, you can bake up a batch and freeze them for later. Cover your pastries individually in plastic wrap, being sure the surface of the dough is well covered. Place the wrapped pies in an air tight container in the freezer for up to a couple of months. For best serving results, allow the pies to thaw, then reheat them in the oven on a cookie sheet, just until heated through. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Yes, you can use puff pastry the same way that you used the regular crust.
Want More Harry Potter Recipes?
If you liked these delicious pumpkin pasties, you may want to try some of these other Harry Potter inspired recipe ideas!
For The Crust
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Unroll pie crust onto a cutting board or other flat surface.1 box Refrigerated pie crust
- Take a biscuit cutter or pastry cutter and cut 4 inch circles in the dough.
- Take the dough circles and place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Be sure to gather the scraps and roll them out to get more pasty circles out of the dough.
- In a small bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, sugar, cinnamon and salt.1 cup pumpkin puree, 5 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, pinch kosher salt
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and set it aside. You will use it as an egg wash once the pasties are assembled.1 egg
- Place about two tablespoons of pumpkin filling in the center of each dough circle. Be careful not to add too much filling.
- Fold the dough in half, making a half circle, Seal dough by pressing all around the edges of each circle with a fork.
- Repeat this process until the remaining dough circles are filled.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of each pasty with the egg wash and sprinkle each with sugar (optional)1 egg, 5 tablespoons sugar
- Using a small sharp knife, cut two slit in the top of each. then place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes, rotate the pan and bake for another 10 or until golden brown all over.
- Allow to cool for at least 20 minutes. Enjoy!
- Be sure not to overstuff or the filling will seep out the sides after you’ve sealed the pasty
- Start with room temperature dough. It’ll be easier to stretch over the filling than cold dough.
- Don’t have refrigerated pie crust? You can substitute puff pastry instead.
Want more awesome Harry Potter ideas? Check out some of my other posts…
- Harry Potter Recipes
- Harry Potter Butterbeer Recipe
- Butterbeer Ice Cream
- Frozen Butterbeer
- Butterbeer Cupcakes
- Butterbeer Fudge
- Butterbeer Cookies
- Acid Pops
- Pumpkin Pasties
- Treacle Tarts
- Harry Potter Printable Coloring Pages
- Harry Potter Crafts For Kids
- Harry Potter Party Ideas
- Printable Harry Potter Banner
- Harry Potter Party Favor Ideas
- Best Gifts For Harry Potter Fans
- Harry Potter Goodie Bags
- Harry Potter Bingo
- DIY Harry Potter Wands
- Harry Potter Valentines
- Harry Potter Valentine Box
- Monster Book Of Monsters Valentine Box
- Harry Potter Pumpkin (no carve)
- Golden Snitch Pumpkin (no carve)
- Harry Potter Party Invitations
- Harry Potter Thank You Cards
- Golden Snitch Peanut Butter Balls
- Harry Potter Water Bottle Label
- What Not To Miss At The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter
- Harry Potter Studio Tour London