This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
It’s that time of year! Everybody is trying to make the best leprechaun trap so they can get that pot of gold. This awesome trap costs almost nothing to make and will outsmart even the sneakiest of leprechauns!
This post contains affiliate links
Leprechaun Trap For St. Patrick’s Day
When I was a Kindergarten teacher, I loved celebrating St. Patrick’s Day with my class. We’d start with fun crafts and then try to catch a leprechaun roaming our halls on St. Patrick’s Day! Those naughty leprechauns would run into all the classrooms, turning over chairs and leaving a trail of glitter behind. We never managed to catch one but I think it’s because we just didn’t have the right leprechaun traps!
I’m no longer teaching but my girls and I would still love to catch a leprechaun…we could really use that pot of gold! We whipped up some fun St. Patrick’s Day desserts then went to work creating the perfect trap!
Get a personalized letter from your leprechaun! Customize it with your child’s name for a fun St. Patrick’s Day surprise!
Under The Rainbow Leprechaun Trap
- Once you’ve gathered your your supplies, you’re ready to get started. To make the ladder, use hot glue to hold the wooden craft sticks together, then paint them green.
- Next, cover them with gold glitter. You can use glue but I just added another quick layer of paint and sprinkled glitter over the top.
- Set the ladder aside and grab your St. Patty’s Day hat. I love that this was only $1!
- Cut a hole in the top. The leprechaun will fall through this hole and be trapped forever…or at least until you decide to let him go.
- Cut a small slit on each side of the hole. Bend the chenille into a curved shape, slide ends into the slits and bend at the bottom to hold in place.
- Cover the hole with the gift bag filler.
- Hot glue a piece of string in between two gold coins. Wrap the top of the string around the rainbow, so that the gold coin is dangling just enough to taunt the leprechaun.
- Glue the ladder to the side of the hat. Add a few gold coins around it to get the leprechaun’s attention.
- Glue your sign to the top of the ladder, with the arrow pointing up. Get the free printable signs here and choose a favorite.
- Now you’re finally ready to catch a leprechaun!
This trap turned out so cute and I’m sure we’ll finally catch that little guy this year!
You may also want to read these cute St. Patrick’s Day books when you’re done!
- How To Catch A Leprechaun by Andy Wallace
- The Night Before St. Patrick’s Day by Natasha Wing
- That’s What Leprechauns Do by Eve Bunting
What do you plan to do with that leprechaun’s pot of gold? Will you spend it all on yourself or will you share???
Want more St. Patrick’s Day fun?