This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Free Printable Leprechaun Trap is just what you need to catch one of those sneaky leprechauns. All you need is some cardstock, scissors and a few other simple supplies and you’ve got a great way to entertain the kids for St. Patrick’s Day!
It’s that time of year! St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner and there’s no better way for kids to celebrate than by making their own leprechaun trap. It’s one of our favorite things to do every year and we have so much fun trying to come up with new easy leprechaun trap ideas!
How Does It Work
It’s no secret that leprechauns love their pots of gold. However, for some reason they’re not too keen on sharing! That’s why it’s become a popular St. Patrick’s Day tradition for kids to try to catch him. They build a DIY leprechaun trap the night before St. Patrick’s Day, then wake up the next morning to see if they caught one of the magical little guys. If so, he has to share where he’s hidden his treasure.
How To Make A Leprechaun Trap
There are no shortage of ways to build a trap and they’re usually just made with common household items. You can use cereal boxes, green construction paper, popsicle sticks, paper rolls or whatever other craft supplies you happen to have on hand.
This leprechaun trap was made with a cereal box and times from the dollar store.
It can be as simple as a cardboard box propped up on a stick or straw or you can get fancy and create an elaborate one. You might add a secret trap door or a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.
The beauty of it is that there’s no right or wrong way to make one. The whole point is just to have a little fun!
Easy Free Printable Trap
Don’t want to bother with gathering all the traditional supplies? You’re really going to love this one then. Just print, cut and glue…it doesn’t get much easier than that!
Free Printable Leprechaun Trap
- Print the templates. I recommend using cardstock for a sturdier trap.
- Cut out all the pieces.
- Fold the house inward, following the dotted lines. Use glue or tape to attach the tabs to the inside of the house, then punch holes in the two small circles at the top.
- Trim the cotton from both ends of a Q-tip. Tape the Q-tip to the underside of the roof, at the center.
- Fold the roof slightly,
- Place a few paper coins inside the house.
- Add the roof by placing each end of the Q-tip through one of the holes.
- Glue each end of the rainbow to the back of the house and add the shamrocks and other decorations anyplace you like.
- Now find a great place to put it and wait to see what happens. Good luck!
- Older kids may want to use hot glue instead of tape and glue sticks.
- If you don’t have a q-tip, pipe cleaners will work just as well.
- Lure your leprechaun to the trap with Lucky Charms or a trail of free gold coins.
More Free Printables
Want more St. Patrick’s Day fun? Check out these fun ideas: