This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Harry Potter pumpkin is the perfect Halloween craft for little Hogwarts fans! You just need a pumpkin, a little paint and some markers and you’ve got the perfect no carve pumpkin for fall!
Happy Halloween! The spookiest day of the year is just around the corner and we can’t wait. Some people may look forward to the candy while others might love turning their innocent looking home into a scary haunted house.
We love those things too but for us, the best thing about the Halloween season is all the pumpkin decorating! Carving pumpkins is way too messy for us though…we’re all about painting pumpkins.
We’ve definitely painted our fair share too and you can check out all our cute pumpkin ideas here. You’ll find everything from a unicorn pumpkin to a Jack Skellington pumpkin. There’s even a Sally pumpkin to keep Jack from feeling lonely! Love Star Wars? You’ll definitely want to check out this adorable Baby Yoda pumpkin too!
Harry Potter Pumpkin
Since we’re such big fans of Harry Potter, this year we’re making a Halloween pumpkin in the form of our favorite wizard. It’s not the first time we’ve gone with this theme…we made a cool Golden Snitch pumpkin awhile back. We wanted to make this one too but time just got away from us.
This year we started early and I’m so glad I did. Our pumpkin turned out and my little Harry Potter lovers say it’s their new favorite! This would also be the perfect activity for a Halloween party.
It’s super easy too. You just need a pumpkin, some paint and a couple of markers. I’ve linked to the pumpkins I use on Amazon but I buy all mine at Dollar Tree because it’s so much cheaper.
Ready to get started? Just follow these easy step by step instructions!
- Start by painting the pumpkin white. You'll need 2-3 coats to cover it completely, though don't worry as much about the top because you'll cover it black later. Let dry for about 30 minutes.
- When paint is dry, draw Harry's scar. This will help determine where the hair goes. Now Harry Potter's hair with a pencil (or skip this step if you want to do it freehand). Don't worry if you mess up because you can paint over any mistakes.
- Use a red Sharpie to trace the scar, then paint the hair on top of the pumpkin with black and let dry.
- Once the black paint dries, draw Harry's glasses with a pencil. I used a round piece of craft wood to trace the outside of the frame (you can use whatever you have on hand).
- Then I drew the inside of the glasses freehand. I also made the scar slightly bigger.
- Originally I'd planned to paint the glasses with black paint but decided it would be a whole lot easier to use a black Sharpie instead (and I was right...so much easier!)
- Once you have the frames, use the Sharpie to draw the eyes. Then you can add a dot of white paint to each eye (you just need a little bit) for a fun sparkle.
- Take the pencil and draw vertical stripes along the bottom of the pumpkin. Paint the stripes and let dry.
- Now you're ready to display your cute Harry Potter pumpkin!
I've linked to the pumpkin on Amazon to make it easy for you to find but you can get them for $1 at Dollar Tree.
This is going to look so cute with our other pumpkins on the front porch. If you’re putting yours on display, just be sure to keep it out of the elements.
Want to try carving your own pumpkin design instead? Grab a pumpkin carving kit and these Harry Potter stencils. You can find free pumpkin carving stencils here, including a few Hermione pumpkin templates.
My girls want me to try Hagrid next but I’m not so sure about that. Anyway, I’m not sure I could top this little guy!
Do you love making Halloween pumpkins as much as we do? Would you make a Harry Potter pumpkin or Golden Snitch?
Want more cute Halloween pumpkins for your front porch? Get all the tutorials here:
- Baby Yoda Pumpkin
- Harry Potter Pumpkin
- Golden Snitch Pumpkin
- Pumpkin Diorama
- Unicorn Pumpkin
- Jack Skellington Pumpkin
- Sally Skellington Pumpkin
- Hello Kitty Pumpkin
- Frankenstein Pumpkin
- Mummy Pumpkin
- Black Cat Pumpkin
- Emoji Pumpkins
- Bat Pumpkin
- Spider Pumpkin
- Melted Crayon Pumpkin
- Cinderella Inspired Pumpkin
- Teal Pumpkin
- Butterfly Pumpkin
- Bumblebee Pumpkin
- Metallic Polka Dot Pumpkin
- Caramel Apple Pumpkin
- Spiderweb Pumpkin
- Glitter Pumpkin
- Dollar Tree Pumpkin
- Minnie Mouse Pumpkin
- Mickey Mouse Pumpkin
- Spiderman Pumpkin
More Harry Potter Fun
When you’re finished making your pumpkin, why not make some cool looking Harry Potter wands too!
If crafting makes you hungry, check out some of these delicious Harry Potter recipes. You’ll find everything from Butterbeer to Treacle Tarts!
Want to buy something magical for a birthday or holiday? Check out some of these awesome gifts for Harry Potter fans.