This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Oreo Cupcakes are a fun and delicious way to work everyone’s favorite cookies into your next dessert! Sweet and moist vanilla cupcakes are topped with creamy Oreo frosting and a whole Oreo cookie, making these delicious cupcakes the perfect treat for the chocolate lovers in your life.
We make a lot of Oreo desserts around here, and with good reason. We are serious Oreo lovers and have fun working them into as many sweet treats as we possibly can!
This Oreo cupcake recipe combines a classic vanilla cupcake from a boxed cake mix with a creamy homemade Oreo cookie buttercream frosting. The delicious cookies and cream flavor combination takes your cupcakes to a whole new level! They’re sure to be a hit at birthday parties, picnics and anywhere else you take them.
Why We Love This Recipe
It’s Easy – Skip the baking from scratch and start with your favorite boxed cake mix. The best part of this recipe is the Oreo frosting anyway, so it still looks and tastes like an impressive homemade treat but with far less effort.
It’s a Crowd Pleaser – Everyone loves Oreos, so these cookies and cream cupcakes are practically a guaranteed hit. Serve them when you need something to impress your guests at a party, sell out the school bake sale, or keep the kids’ sports teams happy after a game.
- White cake mix, plus ingredients from the back of the box (water, vegetable oil, egg whites)
- Oreo cookies
- Powdered sugar
- Butter, softened
- Vanilla extract
How to Make The Best Oreo Cupcakes
Step 1: Prepare cupcake batter according to the package directions.
Step 2: Crush 10 Oreo cookies into large chunks. I like to do this by placing them in a plastic storage bag and rolling with a rolling pin. Fold crushed cookies into the cupcake batter.
Step 3: Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
Step 4: Pour cupcake batter into prepared cupcake pan (each about 3/4 full). Bake as directed on the box.
Step 5: Place cupcakes on a wire cooling rack to cool completely after baking.
Step 6: In a large bowl, beat the butter with a hand mixer on medium speed until smooth.
Step 7: Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing in between each addition. The frosting will still be powdery. Add milk and vanilla extract and mix on high speed until well combined.
Step 8: To make the frosting, add 10 Oreo cookies to your food processor and process until the cookies become fine crumbs. Set the Oreo crumbs aside.
Step 9: Stir crushed Oreos into the frosting. Mix until well combined.
Step 10: Place frosting in a piping bag with your favorite frosting tip. Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
Step 11: Top each cupcake with one of the remaining 24 Oreos.
Tips & Tricks
- Be sure that the Oreo crumbs are very finely processed before mixing them into your frosting. If any large chunks remain, it will be difficult to pipe the frosting.
- If you like your cupcakes extra chocolatey, you can use a boxed chocolate cake mix instead of white cake to make chocolate Oreo cupcakes. You could also make vanilla Oreo cupcakes using golden Oreos, although the Oreo pieces won’t be as visible in your frosting.
- Make sure you use a good amount of frosting on each cupcake to ensure that your Oreos are supported and don’t fall over. More frosting is always better anyway, right? But in case you like to use a bit less, you could also top the cupcakes with an Oreo thin or a mini Oreo cookie, since they’re lighter and don’t need as much support.
- Try using a batter scoop or a small ice cream scoop to fil the cupcake liners with the batter. It’s less messy than a spoon and will keep the edges of your pan nice and clean.
You can store these in the refrigerator for about three days, but you’ll want to let the leftovers come back to room temperature before serving them.
Can you freeze cupcakes?
Yes, you can freeze your cupcakes to save time later! Just be sure they’re completely cooled first. Once frozen, they’ll keep for up to 3 months stored in an airtight container.
How to freeze unfrosted cupcakes
I prefer to freeze my cupcakes unfrosted, just because they take up less room. If you’re going this route, just wrap each cupcake in plastic wrap, then place in a freezer bag. Place the frosting in a separate freezer bag to store until ready.
How to freeze frosted cupcakes
If your cupcakes that have already been frosted, start by placing them on a baking sheet and freezing, uncovered, until the frosting hardens (about 3-4 hours). Then, wrap each cupcake in plastic wrap and store in an airtight container.
More Fun Cupcake Recipes
- Campfire Cupcakes
- Unicorn Cupcakes
- Coconut Lime Cupcakes
- Mickey Mouse Cupcakes
- Beauty and the Beast Cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix (and required ingredients from box)
- 44 Oreo cookies, divided
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk
- In a large mixing bowl, prepare cupcake batter according to the package directions.
- Crush 10 Oreo cookies into large chunks and fold them into the cupcake batter.
- Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Pour cupcake batter into prepared cupcake pan (each about 3/4 full) and bake as directed on the box.
- Place cupcakes on a wire cooling rack to cool completely after baking.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter with a hand mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, mixing in between each addition. The frosting will still be powdery. Add milk and vanilla extract and mix on high speed until well combined.
- To make the frosting, add 10 Oreo cookies to your food processor and process until fine crumbs have formed. Set the Oreo crumbs aside.
- Add crushed cookies to the frosting and mix a few seconds more to combine.
- Using a piping bag and your favorite frosting tip, pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes.
- Top each cupcake with one of the remaining 24 Oreos.
- Be sure that the Oreo cookie crumbs are very finely processed before mixing them into your frosting. If any large chunks remain, it will be difficult to pipe the frosting.
Find more helpful tips & tricks in the post above
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 250Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 154mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 28gProtein: 1g