This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
With a fiesta of flavors, this Cheesy Taco Tortellini is a great way to add a fun and tasty twist to Taco Tuesday. It’s a hearty, flavorful, and comforting dish the whole family will absolutely love.
Table of Contents
Skillet Taco Tortellini Recipe
Your family won’t be able to get enough of the mouthwatering flavors and textures of this recipe. Combining the best of two worlds, it starts with tender cheese-filled Italian pasta. Then it’s simmered in a savory meat sauce with fire-roasted tomatoes and Mexican-inspired seasonings and topped with delicious gooey, melted cheese.
The great thing about this recipe is that it is ready in under 30 minutes, from prep to plate. This makes it the perfect solution for when you’re craving a cozy homecooked meal but just don’t have the extra time.
If you love this recipe, you’ll also want to try this Chicken Pasta Casserole or this easy One Pot Philly Cheesesteak Pasta. This Dorito Taco Salad is a great one if you’re looking for more fun ideas for Taco Tuesday!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Quick: This dish comes together in just 20 minutes, right on the stove. It’s perfect for a weeknight dinner.
- Simple ingredients: This is a super easy to make recipe with a few basic ingredients and pantry staples.
- Delicious: It’s cheesy tortellini with the flavors of tacos. You can’t beat that.
- Great for meal-prep: Cook the tortellini in a skillet on the weekend and you’ll have leftovers for a couple of days.
- Cheese tortellini
- Ground beef
- Taco seasoning
- Fire-roasted diced tomatoes w/ garlic
- Mexican cheese (cheddar cheese or any melty cheese will work)
- Squeeze of lime juice
- Fresh chopped parsley or cilantro, for garnish
Exact ingredients, instructions, and nutritional information is provide in the recipe card below.
How To Make Easy Taco Tortellini
Step 1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the tortellini to the boiling water and cook it until it’s al dente or according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
Step 2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, making sure to break up large pieces as it cooks. I like using this meat chopper to separate the pieces.
Step 3. Once it’s fully cooked, add taco seasoning and tomatoes (including juices). Mix well and bring to a simmer.
Step 4. Add the tortellini to the skillet and stir gently.
Step 5. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and a squeeze of lime juice. Place the lid over the pan and simmer until the cheese has melted.
Step 6. Serve your taco tortellini pasta garnished with fresh parsley. Enjoy!
- Refrigerator: Let the leftovers cool before transferring them to an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Freezer: You can also freeze any leftovers. Just make sure you use a freezer-safe container and label with the date you make it. Store it in the freezer for up to a couple of months.
- Reheating: Heat leftovers in the microwave or on the stove just until warm. Pasta tends to soak up the liquids the longer it’s stored. If the tortellini mixture seems too thick, you can add a little beef broth or even some tomato sauce to help loosen it up.
Tortellini Variations and Add-ins
- Added protein: Feel free to swap the ground beef with ground turkey, ground chicken, or ground pork.
- Pasta: This recipe calls for cheese tortellini but you can use another flavor or even a totally different type of pasta. Cavatappi, fusilli, or elbow noodles are popular choices.
- Tomatoes: If you’re not a fan of fire-roasted tomatoes you can use regular or Rotel canned tomatoes.
- Other veggies: For added nutrition, toss in other vegetables like, baby spinach, black beans, green peppers, onions, celery or zucchini. You can also drain and add canned corn. Adjust the cooking time to allow time for the veggies to get tender.
- Seasoning: We used a taco spice blend packet, but feel free to use homemade taco seasoning if you like. You can also just add chili powder, cumin and garlic powder separately, according to your preference. For a more Italian flair, sprinkle in some fresh basil and oregano.
- Creamy tortellini: For a touch of creaminess, you can add a tablespoon or two of heavy cream or a dollop of sour cream to the pasta after adding the tomatoes. Cream cheese would work too, but it may make the sauce thicker.
Frequently Asked Questions
Tortellini is a type of pasta that is ring-shaped. Stuffed with a mixture of meat, cheese, or other savory ingredients, it’s a traditional Italian pasta that you can buy from just about any grocery store.
Absolutely! You can add any topping you’d typically add to tacos. Diced avocados, black olives, jalapenos, sour cream, crushed Fritos, black beans, and salsa are great choices.
If you’re carrying it to a potluck or need to transport it somewhere, you can prepare it in a baking dish, making it more like a taco tortellini casserole.
With the Mexican seasoning, this meal pairs well with a simple salad, garlic bread, cheesy bread or even Mexican cornbread. Elote or Mexican coleslaw are vegetable sides that work well.
Other Easy Dinner Recipes
- Easy Homemade Lasagna
- Lemon Rosemary Chicken
- Honey Garlic Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken and Veggies
- Turkey Meatloaf
- Homemade Shake and Bake Pork Chops
Cheesy Taco Tortellini
- 1 meat chopper optional
- 2 1/2 cups Cheese tortellini
- 1 lb Lean ground beef
- 1 package Taco seasoning
- 29 ounces fire-roasted diced tomatoes w/ garlic (2) 14.5 ounce cans
- 1/2 cup Mexican cheese
- Splash of lime juice
- Fresh chopped parsley or cilantro for garnish
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the tortellini to the boiling water and cook it until it’s al dente or according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.2 1/2 cups Cheese tortellini
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef, making sure to break up large pieces as it cooks.1 lb Lean ground beef
- Once the meat is fully cooked, add taco seasoning and tomatoes (including juices). Mix well and bring to a simmer.1 package Taco seasoning, 29 ounces fire-roasted diced tomatoes w/ garlic
- Add the tortellini to the skillet and stir gently.2 1/2 cups Cheese tortellini
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese and a squeeze of lime juice. Place the lid over the pan and simmer until the cheese has melted.1/2 cup Mexican cheese, Splash of lime juice
- Serve your taco tortellini pasta garnished with fresh parsley. Enjoy!Fresh chopped parsley or cilantro