This fun, and useful, DIY Gift for mom comes complete with matching apron, dish towel and utensil holder (plus a cute crate to hold it all).
This post contains affiliate links
DIY Gift For Mom
I always love making Mother’s Day crafts, especially when I get to share them on my favorite morning show, Sarasota’s Suncoast View. I’ll be co-hosting again this morning (SO much fun!) and doing a segment on making crafts for mom.
This DIY gift for mom started off as just a citrus painted apron. Then when I was in the kitchen, the idea of adding a dish towel popped into my head. Finally, I needed one more thing and the mason jar utensil holder seemed like just what I needed to finish off this cute Mother’s Day gift.
I wouldn’t recommend this for younger kids (fabric paint + toddlers = BIG mess!) but older kids will have fun with it. Even I had a blast making it!
- Lay apron on a flat surface and get your supplies handy.
- Position the stencil where you want the lemons/limes/oranges. Dip your foam brush or sponge into fabric paint and dab onto the apron over the stencil. I would recommend using a foam brush but we just moved and I haven't quite figured out which box they're in!
- Once you've stenciled on all the fruit you want, set aside to dry.
- Repeat with dish towel.
- Paint mason jar with white chalk paint. You may need 2-3 coats. Let dry.
- Use the stencil to paint lemons, oranges and limes over the white chalk. Set aside to dry.
- Paint the crate with yellow, orange and green acrylic paint.
- Once all paint has dried, put wooden utensils into the mason jar and place in crate. Place apron and dish towel around them.
- Give to mom on Mother,s Day, her birthday or just to show her that you love her!
I've linked to the crafts to make it easy but if you'd like to save a little money, you'll find all these things cheaper at your neighborhood superstore.