This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These delicious pizza pinwheels are so delicious and guaranteed to be hit! An easy recipe made with freshly baked pizza dough and all your favorite pizza toppings, it’s perfect for snacktime, dinner and even parties.
Originally published January 2022 – Updated December 2023
Table of Contents
Easy Pizza Pinwheels Recipe
Looking for a great idea for your routine school snack, or maybe a fun way to bring the family together for dinner? These pizza pinwheels are super easy to make and a guaranteed winner for your table!
These also make a great snack or appetizer that’s ready in no time. Along with my favorites like jalapeno poppers and my always popular hot sausage dip, I’ve made these pizza rolls a permanent part of our rotation!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Easy: The best thing about this kid-friendly recipe is that it’s as easy as it is delicious! All you need are a few simple ingredients (you can even use store-bought pizza dough) and you can whip up this fun pizza pinwheels recipe in minutes.
- Versatile: These make the perfect appetizer for casual dinner parties, game day parties, holiday gatherings or just a quick lunch or fun snack on a rainy day. Serve this for dinner and the kids will think you’re the best mom ever!
- Delicious: Endless combinations of favorite pizza toppings? Yes please! Switch up the sauce, cheeses, and toppings to make this recipe just the way you want it.
- Popular: Well… who doesn’t like pizza? I mean, pizza in any form is always an automatic win!
- Prepared pizza dough (*or you can make your own homemade pizza dough recipe)
- Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Parmesan cheese, shredded or grated
- Fresh basil leaves (can substitute dry)
- Marinara or pizza sauce for dipping
Never made your own dough before? This easy tutorial for how to make pizza dough is one of our favorites!
How To Make Pepperoni Pizza Pinwheels
Step 1: Preheat oven to 375°
Step 2: On a lightly floured cutting board, roll dough into a large rectangle. Use your hands to stretch and flatten it if you need to.
Step 3: Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly across the top.
Step 4: Top with pepperoni. Don’t be shy…go crazy if you want to!
Step 5: Roll up the dough lengthwise.
Step 6: Use a sharp knife, serrated is best, to slice the roll into pinwheels 1 1/2” thick. Pinch the end of the dough together so that your pinwheels stay intact.
Step 7: Place pinwheels on greased baking sheet. You can use parchment paper for easier cleanup if you like. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and basil.
Step 9: Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until dough begins to turn golden brown.
Step 10: Serve warm and enjoy with marinara sauce or your sauce of choice!
Of course! For best results, let the pinwheels cool down first or they could get soggy. Wrap them individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then place in the freezer. These will stay good frozen for up to three months, so don’t be afraid to make a batch and keep them ready to go whenever!
When you are ready to enjoy them again, thaw them, unwrap the frozen pinwheels and reheat at 375° until cooked through. Then you can enjoy them all over again!
The great thing about these pizza rolls is that they taste amazing in next-day lunches. They’ll stay good for up to three to four days in the refrigerator.
Tips And Tricks
- Rolling the dough: Be sure to leave some space around the edges of the dough so that the edges can be easily sealed. Otherwise your ingredients may slip out.
- Roll firmly: Loose pinwheels will fall apart so be sure to roll them tightly and pinch the end.
- Cutting: A serrated knife works best when slicing the dough.
The great thing about this pizza pinwheel recipe is that it’s easy to customize. You can change up the dough, sauce and toppings to make any delicious combination you like!
- Dough: Try using a puff pastry sheet, refrigerated crescent dough sheets or Pillsbury pizza dough. You could even use regular Pillsbury crescent rolls or get fancy and make own pizza dough instead.
- Vegetarian version: While we love our pepperoni pizza pinwheels, you can totally skip the pepperoni and replace it with your favorite veggies instead. It’ll be just as delicious and it’s a great way to get the kids to eat their veggies.
- Toppings: You can make this recipe with any of your favorite toppings. Try different veggies like bell peppers or olives or try sausage, bacon or even prosciutto instead of pepperoni.
- Cheeses: While mozzarella is the traditional favorite for a basic pizza, you can use cheddar, Monterey Jack, parmesan, brie…the list goes on!
- Dipping Sauces: Pizza sauce not your thing? No problem! Dip your pizza wheel in BBQ sauce, blue cheese, buffalo sauce or ranch instead.
More Super Easy Appetizer Recipes
If you liked these baked pizza pinwheels, you’ll want to try these delicious appetizers too!
- Maple Bacon Crack
- Bacon Wrapped Meatballs
- Ham And Cheese Crescent Braid
- Philly Cheesesteak Sliders
- Mini Cheese Balls
Easy Pizza Pinwheels Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Lightly flour counter or cutting board. Roll dough into a long rectangle, using your hands to stretch and flatten it if necessary.1 roll Pizza dough
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly across the top.1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Top with pepperoni.4 ounces pepperoni slices
- Roll dough lengthwise and seal the edges.
- Use a serrated knife to slice pinwheels 1 1/2” thick.
- Place on a greased cookie sheet and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and basil.4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, Fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce and enjoy!Marinara or other dipping sauce of your choice
- When topping the dough, be sure to leave a little space around the edges so that you can seal the dough once you roll it.
- Roll the dough tightly so your toppings don’t fall out while you’re slicing it.
- Switch up the recipe with your favorite toppings and dipping sauces.
They take little time and make for an easy appetizer, perfect snack, or main dish.