This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This adorable DIY Gnome Valentine Box is the perfect project if you’re looking for a super fun Valentine’s craft to do with kids. It’s easy for the little ones to make and it comes together with just a few supplies and free templates for a cute, simple to make craft.
We are slightly obsessed with gnome crafts around my house. We had an absolute blast making this Amazing Gnome Village out of easy to find supplies and just a little time and creativity. More recently, we’ve been inspired by a friend’s adorable Gnome Cookie Cups…they are almost too adorable to eat!
So, when it came time for us to come up with this year’s theme for valentine boxes…. you guessed it! With their funny oversized stocking cap and fluffy beard, these cute little gnomes were the clear choice! They are really easy to make, and the kids will absolutely love them!
Making super cute Valentine Boxes has become a tradition we look forward to when February rolls around each year. We’ve made everything from a Unicorn Box, Spiderman Valentine’s Day Boxes to a Minion Box and of course a Harry Potter Book Valentine Box. However, there is just something extra adorable about these gnome boxes. They are so colorful and festive, and that little bouquet of balloons is just too much!
When you’re done, get these free printable Gnome Valentine Cards too!
Table of Contents
Materials Needed to Make a Valentine Gnome Box
- Gnome template
- Cereal box
- (2) 12×18 sheets white construction paper
- (1) 12×18 red craft foam
- (1) 12×18 white craft foam
- (1) small piece of pink craft foam
- (1) small piece of orange craft foam
- Craft foam in assorted colors (for balloons)
- (4) chenille stems (any color)
- (6-8) cotton balls
- Foam heart stickers
Note: If you’re having trouble finding craft foam, you can use colored construction paper instead. And it you want, you can even use construction paper to cut out the hearts and use a glue stick or hot glue to attach them to the cap.
Want valentine cards to match? You can find cute gnome valentines in my Etsy shop!
Gnome Valentine Box
- Start by cutting a hole in the back of the box with box cutters (parents may want to do this part themselves). This is where the valentine cards will go.
- Lay the cereal box on one of the pieces of white construction paper where the right side of the box is flush with the edge of the paper. Leave enough on the top and bottom to fold down and cover the top and bottom of the box.
- Fold the paper over the box, covering the back, one side and the top and bottom of the box, gluing into place with the hot glue gun.
- Use the second piece of white construction paper to cover the remaining sections of the box. Use the box cutter to cut the construction paper that's covering the hole.
- Print the template and cut out each of the pieces.
- Trace each one on to the craft foam. You can use the colors I used or change the color scheme completely…totally up to you.
- Once you've traced each piece of the template, cut out your pieces.
- Decorate your gnome hat. I used heart shaped stickers and scraps from the white foam to make stripes.
- Glue the gnome beard and nose to the bottom section of the cereal box. Be sure to glue the bottom of the beard flush with the bottom of the cereal box. Otherwise the box will fall over when you try to stand it upright.
- Take 5-6 cotton balls and stretch them out to cover the beard.
- Glue the cotton on the beard, covering it completely. Add the hat.
- Glue the shoes to the bottom part of the beard. My craft consultant (a.k.a. my 9 year old daughter) suggested we add hearts to the bottom…so cute!
- Glue the balloons together to form a balloon bouquet. Turn them over and glue the chenille stems on the back.
- Let the glue dry, then tie a ribbon around the chenille.
- Finally, glue the hands on and attach balloons to the valentine box. I glued two to the back of the hand, one to the back of the beard and one directly to the box. This keeps the balloons from flopping around too much.
- Once all your glue has dried, you've got the cutest gnome valentine box ever!
This Valentine Gnomes box is such a fun project and is the perfect way for kids to celebrate that special day, whether it’s a home on a rainy day, or at school with friends.
One of the things kids will love the most is that the cereal box is the perfect sized box for cards, little packs of candy or even small party favors. Bring on the Valentine’s Day fun!