This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Halloween Pumpkin Cheese Ball is the perfect appetizer for your Halloween party or any fall party. It’s creamy and delicious with tons of great flavor, easy to make, and with it’s pretty orange color, looks just like an actual pumpkin! Grab some crackers and dig into this delicious and savory cheesy treat.
Is there a more perfect appetizer than a cheese ball? Everyone loves cheese, so it’s practically guaranteed to be a big hit.
The bright and vibrant orange color of this Halloween pumpkin cheese ball recipe comes from a crispy outer coating made of crushed Nacho Cheese Doritos. Inside is a rich and creamy blend of cream cheese, sour cream, taco blend cheese, and spices for a zesty and flavorful combination that everyone will love. Toss in some green onion for color and you have the perfect easy party appetizer.
Add this pretty cheese ball to your list of Halloween recipes this year – it’ll taste great and look so festive on your Halloween party table!
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe
It’s a Party Favorite – Everyone loves a homemade cheese ball, and this is our favorite cheese ball recipe for Halloween parties. It’s a simple appetizer that you can serve with crackers, pita chips, pretzels, veggies and more. sticks, and veggies.
Make Ahead – You can make this recipe a day ahead so it’s ready to go whenever your party starts!
It’s Easy – Next time you need a quick and delicious party treat, just mix everything together, roll it into a ball and put it in the fridge. The hardest part is waiting for it to chill!
- Cream cheese, softened – the base ingredient for your cheese ball
- Sour cream – adds tangy flavor and makes the cheese ball extra creamy
- Shredded taco blend cheese – adds extra cheesy flavor and texture to the cheese ball
- Taco seasoning – adds some zesty spice flavor to the cheese
- Green onion, finely chopped – adds color and texture
- Nacho cheese Doritos, crushed – adds a crunchy coating and bright orange color
- Additional green onion (optional) – a garnish for your cheese ball
How to Make a Halloween Cheeseball
Step 1: In a large bowl, Stir together the cream cheese and sour cream until well combined.
Step 2: Add the shredded cheese mixture, green onion, and taco seasoning to the cream cheese mixture. Mix well.
Tip: If you can’t find taco blend cheese, you can substitute sharp cheddar cheese instead.
Step 3: Form the cheese mixture into a ball. Wrap the cheese ball tightly in plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour.
Step 4: Just before serving, place the Doritos in a large bag and use a rolling pin to crush the chips.
Step 5: Place the cheese ball in the bag. Roll it around until the entire ball is covered in crushed Doritos.
Step 6: Transfer the ball to a serving platter. Garnish with green onion and serve.
Tips & Tricks
- You can substitute other flavors of Doritos or just about any kind of any kind of tortilla chips to make the crunchy coating for the cheese ball. Chopped nuts work well too.
- If you can’t find taco blend cheese, regular shredded cheddar cheese works too.
- When forming the cheese mixture into a pumpkin-shaped ball, spray your hands with a little bit of non-stick cooking spray to ensure that the mixture shapes easily and doesn’t stick.
- Be sure to start with room temperature ingredients. Cold ingredients won’t blend as well and are more likely to result in a lumpy cheese ball.
- Give your cheese ball even more of an adorable pumpkin look! Press a bell pepper stem into the top of the cheese ball to form your pumpkin stem. You can also place some kitchen twine or a few rubber bands around the cheese ball to shape it as it chills (be sure it’s tightly wrapped in plastic wrap first). This will create indentations in the ball to create the perfect pumpkin shaped cheese ball.
How Do I Store This?
You can refrigerate your leftovers for 2-3 days. For best results, wrap the cheese ball in plastic wrap, then place it in a Ziplock bag or airtight container.
How Long Can My Pumpkin Cheese Ball Sit Out?
For best results, you’ll want to keep the cheese ball out no more than about two hours. Since most parties will be longer than that, you may want to make a couple of smaller mini pumpkins and keep the second one in the fridge until it’s needed.
More Fun Fall Appetizer Ideas
- Halloween Charcuterie Board Ideas
- Ground Beef Taco Dip
- Baked Jalapeno Poppers
- Easy Pizza Pinwheels
- Bacon Wrapped Meatballs
- Fried Goat Cheese
Pumpkin Cheese Ball
- In a large bowl, Stir together the cream cheese and sour cream until well combined.16 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 cup sour cream
- Add the shredded cheese mixture, green onion, and taco seasoning to the cream cheese mixture. Stir well to combine.1 cup taco blend cheese, 1 tbsp taco seasoning, 1/4 cup green onion
- Form the cheese mixture into a ball. Wrap the cheese ball tightly in plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator to chill for at least an hour.
- Just before serving, place the Doritos in a large bag and use a rolling pin to crush the chips.1 cup crushed Nacho Cheese Doritos
- Place the cream cheese ball in the bag, rolling it around to cover the entire ball in crushed Doritos.
- Transfer the ball to a serving platter. Garnish with green onion and serve.additional green onion for garnish
- When forming the cheese mixture into a ball, spray your hands with a little non-stick cooking spray so that the mixture shapes easily and doesn’t stick.
- Serve this recipe with pretzel sticks, crackers, veggies or anything else that sounds good. We love spreading it over a buttery Ritz cracker!