This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These delicious Butterbeer Shots have all the iconic flavors of Harry Potter’s favorite drink, with a little something extra for the grownups! With just 3 simple ingredients and a couple of tasty toppings, these fun and delicious boozy shots are the perfect way to liven up your next Halloween party or Harry Potter movie night.
Harry Potter Butterbeer Shots
If you’ve ever read the Harry Potter books or seen the movies, you’re probably familiar with Butterbeer, the favorite beverage of Harry and his friends. While there are many kinds of butterbeer, like this kid-friendly version of Butterbeer, these perfect little boozy mini cocktails are an adult only version that are guaranteed to help get your next party started.
I got the idea when I made these amazing Harry Potter Butterbeer Jello Shots recently. They’ve been a huge hit, but if you prefer your cocktails with a little less jiggle and a little more fizz, then you’ll love these butterbeer shots!
Decadent butterscotch flavor comes together with the absolute perfect hint of vanilla cream to create a cocktail that is almost delicious enough to serve as a dessert.
💖 Why We Love This Recipe
- Quick and easy boozy twist to the classic butterbeer recipe.
- Fun cocktails for all the adult Harry Potter Fans to enjoy at a Halloween party or movie marathon.
- Taste like the original cold butterbeer with a boozy kick.
- This recipe takes simple ingredients and only 2-3 minutes to make.
🛒 What Needed for Harry Potter Butterbeer Shots
- Whipped cream vodka
- Butterscotch schnapps
- Cream soda
- Whipped cream for topping
- Butterscotch sauce for topping
TIP: For the best tasting shots, all ingredients should be chilled. An alternative is to add them all to a cocktail shaker, shake, and then pour into the shot glass. I used 1.5 oz. shot glasses.
📄 How to Make Adult Butterbeer Shots
Step 1. Add the vodka to your shot glasses.
Step 2. Next add butterscotch schnapps.
Step 3. Pour cream soda on top of the schnapps.
Step 4. Top with whipped cream.
Step 5. Drizzle a little bit of butterscotch syrup over the top of the whipped cream!
Can You Make These Shots in Advance?
Because you want the little bit of fizz from the cream soda, these shots are best when they are first made. But the best part about this recipe is there are only a few ingredients and a couple of minutes prep time to make up a fresh batch.
Is Butterbeer Actually Beer?
Butterbeer is not beer at all. It’s a butterscotch flavored beverage based on the fictional drink made famous by J.K. Rowling in the Harry Potter series. In the books and the movies, butterbeer is a slightly alcoholic beverage that the students at Hogwarts always enjoy when they make a visit to Hogsmeade.
If you’ve ever visited the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Orlando you’ll see various forms of butterbeer being sold in locations like The Three Broomsticks, Honeydukes, The Leaky Cauldron in Diagon Alley and several other places throughout the theme-park.
Variations and Add-ins
- Vodka: We used whipped cream vodka, but you can use regular vodka with just a drop of vanilla extract added to the cream soda. Or if you have vanilla vodka on hand, that will work great too!
- Irish cream: If you want less butterscotch flavor, you can use Irish cream instead of the schnapps.
- Syrup: If you can’t find butterscotch sauce, you can use a little bit of caramel sauce instead.
- Heavy whipping cream: We used whipped cream in the can to give the shots a creamy, decorative topping, but you can use Cool Whip or even a homemade whipped cream. Add it to a piping bag to make it easy to top the shots.
- Garnish: If want to make these shots look a little fancier and give them a little sparkle, you can rim the shot glasses with some gold sugar sprinkles or large crystal sugar. Using a small plate or shallow dish, dip the rims of the glasses in a little cream soda first to help the sugar stick. Glass shot glasses work better for this than plastic shot glasses because the sugar will stick better.
Want More Harry Potter Inspired Recipes?
- Alcoholic Butterbeer
- Harry Potter Acid Pops
- Butterbeer Fudge
- Butterbeer Ice Cream
- Harry Potter Pumpkin Juice
- Chocolate Frogs
- Butterbeer Cookies
- Butterbeer Cupcakes
- Add the vodka to your shot glasses.1/2 ounce whipped cream vodka
- Next add the butterscotch schnapps.1/2 ounce butterscotch schnapps
- Pour cream soda on top of the schnapps.1/2 ounce cream soda
- Add whipped cream and drizzle a little butterscotch syrup over the top.whipped cream, butterscotch syrup