This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This 4th of July Trifle is the perfect light and flavorful dessert for summer. Full of patriotic color and fresh berry flavor, it’s an easy and impressive layered dessert that’s always a crowd-pleaser!
It’s not Independence Day without some fun Fourth of July desserts and your party guests are going to love this delicious red, white and blue trifle! Not only does it have all our favorite summer flavors, it’s also easy to make and will look beautiful on your dessert table.
Layers of light and airy angel food cake, fresh berries, and creamy cheesecake topping create a perfect combination in this tasty summer trifle. Like a cross between a cheesecake and a berry shortcake, it has a fresh flavor and incredible texture that everyone will love.
Like any good summer treat, this no bake dessert can be put together in minutes. Plus, its vibrant red, white, and blue colors make it a perfect choice for patriotic holidays. I mean, it’s pretty much guaranteed to become your new favorite summer dessert.
Why We Love This Recipe
It’s Festive – The pretty red, white, and blue layers of berries, cake and pudding make this patriotic trifle a great dessert for your July 4th or Memorial Day festivities. Even better, it’s a perfect match for our red, white and blue sangria or even our 4th of July Jello shots!
Easy Recipe – Because it calls for store-bought angel food cake, this easy trifle recipe doesn’t require any baking and can be assembled in minutes. It’s a perfect dessert when you want something simple and delicious.
Great for Parties – This mixed berry trifle makes for an impressive presentation on the 4th but it’s really the perfect dessert for any summer party!
- Cheesecake instant pudding (or substitute white chocolate or vanilla pudding mix)
- Cool Whip (or heavy whipping cream)
- Angel food cake (either homemade or store-bought)
- Fresh strawberries, quartered
- Fresh blueberries
How To Make A 4th Of July Berry Trifle
Step 1: Cut the cake into slices. Cut each of those slices into 1-inch cake cubes.
Step 2: In a large bowl, whisk the milk and instant pudding mix together until well combined.
Step 3: Add half of the container of Cool Whip to the pudding mixture and whisk to combine. If desired, set aside some of the fresh fruit to top the trifle.
Step 4: Layer half of the angel food cake squares in your trifle dish. If you don’t have a glass trifle bowl, any large clear glass bowl will work.
Step 5: Add half of the strawberries and half of the blueberries on top of the cake squares.
Step 6: Add all the pudding mixture on top of the berries. Smooth out evenly.
Step 7: Use the remaining cake pieces to add another layer of angel food cake on top of the pudding.
Step 8: Layer on the remaining strawberries and blueberries.
Step 9: Garnish with the whipped topping and remaining fruit and you’ve got the perfect no bake summer dessert! Enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
- You can use vanilla or white chocolate pudding, or any flavor of white pudding in place of the cheesecake flavor.
- This is a great dessert if you have leftover cake. You can use a store-bought pound cake, a sponge cake, or a regular white cake instead of angel food cake.
- Instead of adding the additional fruit on top, you can top with red, white, and blue sprinkles.
- To make serving easier, these can also be made in individual plastic cups or mini mason jars.
- For an extra fancy and patriotic berry trifle dessert, arrange the strawberries and blueberries on the top layer into an American flag design.
Store your leftovers in an airtight container or covered in plastic wrap. They should keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.
I’d recommend making this the same day you plan to eat it. The berries taste best when fresh and your cake may also get soggy if you make it too far ahead of time. However, you can definitely prepare it a few hours in advance and keep it refrigerated until you’re ready to serve it.
More Patriotic 4th of July Treats
- 4th of July Oreo Balls
- Easy 4th of July Punch
- Red, White, and Blue Poke Cake
- 4th of July Marshmallow Treats
- Red, White, and Blue Cupcakes
4th Of July Trifle
- 1 pkg cheesecake instant pudding 3 ounce size
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 1 angel food cake 15 ounces, we used a store-bought cake
- 2 cups strawberries quartered
- 1 pint blueberries
- In a large bowl, whisk the instant pudding mix and milk together until well combined.1 pkg cheesecake instant pudding, 1 ½ cups milk
- Add half of the container of Cool Whip to the pudding mixture and whisk to combine. If desired, set aside some of the strawberries and blueberries to top the trifle.8 ounces Cool Whip
- Layer half of the angel food cake squares in your trifle dish.1 angel food cake
- Add half of the strawberries and half of the blueberries on top of the cake squares.2 cups strawberries, 1 pint blueberries
- Add all the pudding mixture on top of the berries and smooth out evenly.
- Use the remaining cake squares to add another layer of angel food cake on top of the pudding.
- Layer on the remaining strawberries and blueberries.
- Top with the remaining Cool Whip, and extra fruit, if desired.