This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This homemade blueberry pie filling is the perfect way to use up those blueberries in the fridge. You can never go wrong with a classic blueberry pie and everyone will love this delicious recipe!
Who doesn’t love the taste of sweet blueberries? They’re so full of flavor that along with strawberries, they’re my favorite summer fruit! Plus they’re extremely versatile and I’ve used them for a ton of different blueberry recipes, from blueberry syrup (SO good!) to a blueberry peach galette. You don’t even have to cook ’em. I love plopping them right on top of my no-bake cheesecake bites too!
This time I’m using them to whip up a homemade blueberry pie filling. Then all that’s left to do is pour it into a pie shell (store bought or homemade), throw it in the oven and I’ve got a delicious pie that everyone will love.
>>>Once you have the filling, make this deliciously flaky HOMEMADE PIE CRUST.
>>>Put them all together to make this amazing BLUEBERRY PIE.
Table of Contents
One of the best things about this homemade pie filling is how easy it is! You just need six simple ingredients:
- 6 cups of fresh blueberries
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp zest from a lemon rind
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
How To Make The Filling
In a large bowl, combine sugar, corn starch, salt, lemon juice and zest. Add blueberries and toss to coat, then pour the filling into a pie crust, top with a lattice crust and you’ve got a fresh blueberry pie recipe that everyone will go crazy for!
What Should I Do if the Blueberry Filling is Runny?
One of the most common complaints people tend to have is that their filling turned out runny. Luckily, there’s a simple way to make sure that doesn’t happen when to yours.
You’ll see above that one of the ingredients in this recipe is ¼ cup of cornstarch. That’s because cornstarch does a great job thickening recipes like this and it’s what gives the filling that gorgeous thick texture.
Can I Use Canned or Frozen Blueberries?
I love using fresh, juicy blueberries (or even wild blueberries) for this recipe because there’s no beating fresh when you make fruit pie fillings.
That being said, you can totally use canned or frozen blueberries if fresh ones are out of season or you just don’t feel like making the trek to the grocery store. You’ll still end up with a delicious blueberry pie!
Tips & Tricks to Nail the Filling
While making pie filling isn’t complicated, there are a few tips and tricks that’ll help make it perfect:
- Allow your pie to sit out for a few minutes and rest before you cut it open. This gives the cornstarch some time to work its magic and thicken the filling.
- If you’re using frozen blueberries, you don’t need to thaw the berries beforehand. In fact, frozen berries work great, since they have a thick skin and retain their juiciness without getting all mushy.
Not only does this filling make the best blueberry pie but you can also cook it in a saucepan and serve it in other ways too. It’s a great recipe because it’s so versatile. Try these ideas too:
- Use it as a topping for homemade cheesecake or pour a spoonful over your vanilla ice cream.
- This blueberry pie filling also tastes great on breakfast pancakes and waffles.
- You can also use it to bump up the flavor and nutritional value of your morning oatmeal.
- Replace your store bought blueberry jam with this homemade recipe.
When you’re ready to make the pie, be sure to check out my recipe for a flaky pie crust!
Easy Blueberry Pie Filling Recipe
- In a large bowl, combine the blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, salt, zest, lemon juice.6 cups blueberries, 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 tbsp lemon Zest, 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Toss to coat and pour into pie crush. Bake according to recipe instructions.