This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Want to learn how to make Harry Potter chocolate frogs for your next party or movie marathon? Your little wizards will love these cute frogs and they’re so easy and delicious, you’ll wonder why you never made these sweet treats before now!
Easy Harry Potter Chocolate Frogs
If you visit my blog regularly, you’ve probably already figured out that we are big Harry Potter fans! We adore all the Harry Potter Books and movies and love recreating all the fun Harry Potter recipes. From the iconic Butterbeer to Pumpkin Pasties, we just can’t get enough.
The recipes are always pretty simple, but nothing has been as easy as these delicious chocolate frogs. When I say easy, I really mean it…you just need one ingredient! It doesn’t get any simpler than that!
💖Why We Love This Recipe
Easy: These candy frogs are so much fun and are so easy let the kiddos join in the fun of making them
Great for gifts: Frog chocolates make the perfect treat to give as a gift to any Harry Potter fan.
Perfect party favors: What could possibly be a better party favor at a Harry Potter-themed birthday party than a delicious milk chocolate frog!
🛒 What’s Needed for this Recipe?
The key to making this treat is easy. All you need is a bag of chocolate chips and chocolate frog molds and you’re good to go!
👩🏼🍳 How to Make Chocolate Frogs
Step 1: Pour a bag of milk chocolate chips into a microwave-safe bowl.
Step 2: Melt chocolate in microwave for 45 seconds. Stir with a wooden spoon.
Step 3: Melt for another 30 seconds and stir again. If there are still small chunks, continue to melt in 30-second intervals until the chocolate is smooth and creamy.
Step 4: Pour chocolate into the plastic candy molds, saving the remaining chocolate for the next batch. Tap the plastic mold gently on the counter a few times to get rid of air bubbles.
Step 5: Refrigerate for about two hours to let the chocolate set. Keep chilled or in a cool, dry place until ready to serve.
Can I Make these Chocolate Frogs in Advance?
Sure! Chocolate candy frogs freeze really well. Once they have completely set up in the fridge, just drop them into a freezer safe bag. They’ll keep in the freezer for up to several months.
What is a Chocolate Frog?
Not familiar with chocolate frogs? Well, don’t worry, it’s not an actual frog! The wizarding world may be full of fun sweet treats like acid pops and butterbeer but these are one of the most popular sweets at Hogwarts.
What makes them so much fun is that the frogs actually come to life. That means that if you have one, you’d better eat it quick if you want to get a taste before it hops away.
The famous chocolate frogs even come with collectable wizard cards. You may remember that Harry got the Albus Dumbledore card on his very first ride aboard the Hogwarts Express.
Delicious Frog Variations
- Chocolate: You can switch this recipe up with dark chocolate chips or even white ones. Just remember that with white chocolate, you’ll have to use a double boiler. Milk chocolate has more cocoa solids and is easier to work with in the microwave compared to white chocolate that’s mostly cocoa butter.
- Crispy frogs: You can mix in about 1/4 cup of crisped rice cereal if you want your frogs on the crispy side.
- Jelly belly frogs: A really fun twist is to add a single jelly belly in the center of each frog before the chocolate dries. It’s a yummy surprise when you bite into the middle of each delicious treat.
- Nutty frogs: Place a single pecan half in the center of the melted chocolate. You will get a little bit of pecan in every bite of your delicious frog candy.
- Oreo frogs: Just when you think they can’t get any better, try adding finely crushed Oreo cookies to the melted chocolate.
Want More Harry Potter Treats?
How fun are these delicious chocolate frog treats? If you’re looking for more fun Harry Potter-inspired recipes, you’ll definitely want to check out this list:
- Butterbeer Jello Shots
- Harry Potter Acid Pops
- Butterbeer Ice Cream
- Butterbeer Cupcakes
- Harry Potter Treacle Tart
- Harry Potter Butterbeer
- Butterbeer Poke Cake
How To Make Chocolate Frogs
- 1 11.5 oz bag milk chocolate chips
- Dark or white chocolate chips optional variation
- Pour a bag of chocolate chips into a large bowl. We used milk chocolate chips but you can also use dark chocolate.
- .Melt chocolate in microwave for 45 seconds, then stir.
- Melt for another 30 seconds and stir again. If there are still small chunks, continue to melt in 15 second increments until chocolate is smooth and creamy.
- Pour chocolate into frog mold. Tap the mold gently on the counter a few times to get rid of air bubbles.
- Refrigerate until chocolate is solid, about two hours. Keep chilled or in a cool, dry place until ready to serve.