This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These wizard worthy Butterbeer Jello Shots are tasty mini cocktails with a sweet boozy kick. Easy and delicious, these treats are perfect for your next Harry Potter party, or any gathering when you just want to serve a little something extra special.
If you’re a huge Harry Potter fan but have never visited the Wizarding World of Harry Potter before, then you may have only read about Butterbeer in the series of books. You’ll remember it was a favorite beverage of Harry and his friends anytime they visited the Three Broomsticks in the village of Hogsmeade.
If you’ve never tasted it before, I’ve got really great news for you! This jello shots recipe takes all the fabulous creamy butterbeer flavors and puts them into decadent and delicious Jello shot form that will be a guaranteed crowd pleaser.
Because we are such Harry Potter fans, I’ve created some other fantastic copycat Butterbeer recipes you should also check out. From the original Butterbeer, to Frozen Butterbeer to even Butterbeer Cupcakes and Butterbeer Ice Cream, there is something for everyone.
💖Why We Love This Recipe
- Cute and festive: These little butterscotch jello shots are just too cute and so much fun to make. We’re always looking for fun Harry Potter party ideas, especially recipes and these jello shots are the perfect adult party treat.
- Delicious recipe: I mean this is a seriously delicious adult jello shot recipe. They are so sweet and creamy; it’s easy for them to double as tiny adult desserts.
- Great make a head cocktail: Unlike most cocktails that you have to make on the spot, you can make these shots a couple of days in advance, helping to make party planning a cinch.
What’s Needed to Make Jello Butterbeer Shots
- Cream soda-room temperature is fine since you will be heating it.
- Knox gelatin-you’ll want to use unflavored envelopes of plain gelatin for this recipe.
- Caramel vodka– you can also use a cup of vanilla vodka if you have trouble finding caramel flavored.
- Butterscotch schnapps– this gives the jello shots that rich butterscotch flavor.
- Whipped cream for garnish– we used cool whip, but you can use the kind in a can or make your own.
- Butterscotch syrup-adds the perfect amount of sweetness to the shots. You can use caramel sauce as well.
How to Make Harry Potter Butterbeer Jello Shots
Step 1. Pour soda in a medium saucepan.
Step 2. Sprinkle gelatin over the top, whisk until dissolved. Let sit for 2-3 minutes to allow it to bloom.
Step 3. Heat mixture over medium low heat until steamy.
Step 4. Add in butterscotch schnapps and stir.
Step 5. Next, add in caramel vodka and stir again.
Step 6. Pour evenly into 2 oz. jello shot cups.
Step 7. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for about 4 hours or overnight.
Step 8. Top with whipped cream.
Step 9. Drizzle with butterscotch syrup. Enjoy!
You sure can! Leave out the vodka and schnapps and just add 4 cups of cream soda to a medium-sized saucepan and a little extra butterscotch syrup and this will be a butterbeer jell-o shots recipe the littles one can enjoy.
Butterbeer Shot FAQs
What Does Butter Beer Taste Like?
Butterbeer has a prominent butterscotch flavor with perfect hints of cream from the cream soda.
How do I Store Jell-O Shots?
There are various types of disposable small shot glasses you can use. I like to use plastic shot glasses or little cups that have the lids so you can keep them fresh in the fridge until you’re ready to serve them.
A tip that I learned when I made these St. Patrick’s Jello Shots was to set the empty cups on a small plate, cookie sheet or tray before you fill them. It makes transporting them to the fridge to set up MUCH easier.
How Far in Advance from Party Time Should I Make Them?
You will need to allow at least 3-4 hours before party time when making them, but you can make them overnight if you need to.
Harry Potter Jello Shot Variations
Strength: If you want a bit of a stronger jello shot, you can use regular vodka with a little caramel extract and a little vanilla extract. Regular vodka is typically 10% stronger than flavored versions and will give the shots a stronger kick.
Alcohol: You can change up vodka and use just Schnapps, or just use all vodka. Baily’s Irish Cream is also a great option. You just need 2 cups of alcohol total.
Toppings: You can give these shots a little sparkle with gold sugar sprinkles, rainbow sugar sprinkles, or any colored large crystal sugar. For Halloween, you can add colorful Halloween sprinkles. For an even more decadent finishing touch, you can add some finely shaved white chocolate right on top of the whipped cream.
Whipped cream: For a fancy topping you can add the whipped cream in pretty little mounds using piping bag
Want More Adult Beverage Recipes?
- Coconut Mojitos
- Pineapple Margaritas
- Lemon Drops
- Bailey’s Hot Chocolate
- White Wine Sangria
- Best Summer Cocktails
Butterbeer Jello Shots
- plastic shot cups 2 oz size
- 2 cups cream soda
- 4 packets Knox gelatin
- 1 cup butterscotch schnapps
- 1 cup caramel vodka
- Whipped cream for garnish
- Butterscotch syrup for garnish
- Pour soda in a medium saucepan.2 cups cream soda
- Sprinkle gelatin over the top, whisk until dissolved. Let sit for 2-3 minutes to allow it to bloom.4 packets Knox gelatin
- Heat mixture over medium low heat until steamy.
- Add butterscotch schnapps and stir.1 cup butterscotch schnapps
- Next, add caramel vodka and stir again.1 cup caramel vodka
- Pour evenly into 2 ounce jello shot cups.
- Allow to chill in the refrigerator for about 4 hours or overnight.
- Top with whipped cream, then drizzle with butterscotch syrup.Whipped cream for garnish, Butterscotch syrup for garnish
4 packs made it way to stiff for me! But the flavor was good! Gonna try again with 3! Thanks for the recipe
You’re so welcome! Of course, feel free to adjust the recipe however you like. Cheers!