This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These delicious 4th of July Jello shots are a fun and festive treat that’s perfect for celebrating all of the patriotic holidays. A fun twist on the classic Jello shot, they’re sure to add plenty of extra cheer to any party!
Don’t be intimidated by the impressive appearance of these fun patriotic Jello shots. They’re actually quite easy to make and sure to be a be a crowd-pleaser.
Strawberry and Berry Blue Jello mix create the red layer and blue layer, with unflavored gelatin and sweetened condensed milk for the white layer. Smirnoff Red, White, and Berry Vodka adds the fun boozy twist and a delicious berry flavor to your shots. Finally it’s topped with whipped cream and 4th of July sprinkles for the perfect finishing touch.
Part shot and part dessert, these are a cool and refreshing treat on a hot summer evening. They’re sure to be a big hit with all your guests!
Table of Contents
Why We Love These Layered Jello Shots
They’re Festive – With its beautiful Jello layers of vibrant red, white, and blue, this treat is perfect for a Memorial Day or Fourth of July party.
They Double As A Dessert – This recipe also works without the alcohol. Just omit the vodka and follow the package directions for the red and blue Jello. Serve it the next time you need a delicious July 4th dessert that both kids and adults will love.
They’re Easy – Although it takes a little more time to make than a regular Jello shot, this recipe is super easy to make, especially considering how impressive it looks. As long as you follow the instructions for adequate cooling and chilling of each layer, it will come out great!
- Strawberry Jello mix – creates the colorful red layer of your shots
- Berry blue Jello mix – creates the blue layer of your shots
- Sweetened condensed milk – there’s no white Jello so this gives you the white layer of your shots
- Knox unflavored gelatin – makes the condensed milk more firm
- Boiling water, divided – dissolves the Jello mix and Knox gelatin
- Cold water – cools the Jello down to help it set.
- Red White and Berry vodka, divided – adds the fun boozy kick to your shots!
- Whipped cream and patriotic sprinkles for topping – gives the shots an extra fancy and festive look.
How to Make 4th of July Jello Shots
Step 1: Place 3-oz plastic cups onto a cookie sheet. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and whisk in the berry blue Jello mixture, stirring until it’s completely dissolved.
Step 2: Once the Jello has dissolved, add 1 cup of vodka, and stir to combine.
Step 3: Add in 1 cup of cold water and stir again. Allow the mixture to cool for about 20 minutes.
Step 4: Pour the blue gelatin mixture into your shot cups, filling them ⅓ of the way full. Place them in the refrigerator to set for about 2 hours.
Step 5: To make the white layer, boil 2 cups of water and then add the sweetened condensed milk.
Step 6: Whisk in 2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin. Allow to cool for 25-30 minutes.
Step 7: Pour the white gelatin mixture on top of the blue layer, filling another ⅓ of the way. Place in the refrigerator for another 2 hours until set.
Step 8: Now make another layer by whisking the strawberry Jello powder into 2 cups of boiling water. Stir until dissolved.
Step 9: Stir in 1 cup of vodka.
Step 10: Add 1 cup of cold water and stir again.
Step 11: Allow to cool for 25-30 minutes, then add the red Jello layer on top of the white layer. The Jello cups should be almost full. Place in the refrigerator for 2 hours to set.
Step 12: Just before serving, top the Jello shots with whipped cream.
Step 13: Finish off with some red, white, and blue sprinkles.
Tips & Tricks
- Try to resist the urge to add extra vodka. Although it may be tempting to add a bit more than the recipe calls for, adding too much alcohol will prevent your Jello from setting.
- When adding your second and third layers of Jello to the shot cups, be sure they are completely cool before pouring on top of the previous layer. If the top layers are too warm when added, the colors of the Jello will run.
- You can substitute cherry jello for strawberry if you prefer.
- If you don’t have the Smirnoff Red, White and Berry vodka, you can use regular or vanilla vodka. Whipped cream vodka would also be great, or you could even use coconut rum.
- You can use glass shot glasses but we find that it’s easier to get the Jello out of these plastic shot glasses. Plus, they’re disposable so it makes cleanup a whole lot easier.
Your shots should last in the fridge for 4-5 days. Be sure to use plastic shot cups with lids or cover your shots with plastic wrap if you don’t plan to serve them the same day you make them. You’ll want to wait until just before serving to add the whipped cream and festive sprinkles.
Can you freeze Jello shots recipes?
Jello shots don’t freeze well so it’s not recommended. Of course, you can freeze them anyway but the texture, and maybe even the flavor, may be different when you pull them out.
How to eat Jello shots
The best way to eat Jello shots is to loosen them with your finger first. Run your finger around the inside of the Jello shot cups to separate the gelatin from the cup, then just turn the cup up as if you’re drinking a regular shot. Since the Jello is no longer attached to the cup, it should slide right out into your mouth.
4th Of July Jello Shots Recipe
- Place 3-oz plastic cups onto a cookie sheet. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and whisk in the berry blue Jello mix, stirring until it’s completely dissolved.6 cups boiling water, 6 ounces berry blue jello mix
- Once the Jello has dissolved, add 1 cup of vodka, and stir to combine.2 cups Red
- Add 1 cup of cold water and stir again. Allow the mixture to cool for about 20 minutes2 cups cold water
- Pour the blue gelatin mixture into your shot cups, filling them ⅓ of the way full. Place them in the refrigerator to set for about 2 hours.
- To make the white layer, boil 2 cups of water and then add the sweetened condensed milk.14 ounces sweetened condensed milk, 6 cups boiling water
- Whisk in 2 envelopes of unflavored gelatin. Allow to cool for 25-30 minutes.2 packets Knox unflavored gelatin
- Add the white gelatin mixture to the cups, filling another ⅓ of the way. Place in the refrigerator for another 2 hours until set.
- For the next layer, whisk the strawberry Jello mix into 2 cups of boiling water and stir until dissolved.6 ounces strawberry jello mix
- Stir in 1 cup of vodka.2 cups Red
- Add 1 cup of cold water and stir again.2 cups cold water
- Allow to cool for 25-30 minutes, then add the red Jello layer, filling close to the top of the cups. Place in the refrigerator for 2 hours to set.
- Just before serving, top the Jello shots with whipped cream and patriotic sprinkles. Enjoy!Whipped cream and patriotic sprinkles for topping
- It may be tempting but don't go too heavy on the vodka. It could keep your shots from setting properly.
- Be sure to wait until Jello is completely cool before adding another layer. Otherwise the colors may bleed together.