This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This rustic style Coffee Cake without Sour Cream uses Greek yogurt to create a moist and fluffy cake with the perfect crackly topping. It’s great for a delicious dessert served with a scoop of ice cream or an amazing breakfast treat with a good cup of coffee.
Coffee cake is just one of those rare and magical foods that can double as a breakfast food and as a dessert. Cake for breakfast? YES PLEASE! I can’t think of a better way to start the day.
The kiddos are sure to love it for breakfast too. Plus, when mornings are a little hectic, having one of these coffee cakes on hand makes an easy, grab-and-go addition to your breakfast menu. If you’re looking for other quick breakfast bites adults and kids both will love, this Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread and Monkey Bread with Berries are always a hit!
One thing that’ll make this your favorite coffee cake recipe is that thick and rich Greek yogurt is used to make the batter instead of the sour cream you find in most coffee cake recipes.
Greek yogurt makes this cake extra special because the yogurt contains a good bit more protein and casein which not only helps give the coffee cake fantastic structure, but it also makes a super moist cake with the slightest bit of tanginess.
💖 Why We Love This Recipe
- This is such an easy recipe, with only 15 minutes of prep, perfect for a last minute treat.
- Uses all simple pantry ingredients you probably already have on hand.
- This tender crumb cake is not an overly sweet cake which makes it a great breakfast snack as well as a dessert.
- Tasty spin on a classic sour cream coffee cake recipe.
🥄 Recommended Tools:
- 10” cast iron skillet
- Stand or hand mixer
- Medium size mixing bowl
- Small bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
What’s Needed to Make Homemade Coffee Cake
🛒 What’s Needed to Make Homemade Coffee Cake
- Flour- Use all purpose flour, no need for cake flour
- Brown sugar- Light brown sugar is preferred
- Plain Greek yogurt- Use full fat yogurt in this recipe
- Butter- Creates a soft and buttery crumb. You can use salted or unsalted butter. If using unsalted, add a tiny pinch of salt to the batter
- Eggs- For best results use large whole eggs at room temperature
- Baking powder and baking soda- Important leavening agents so be sure you check the expiration dates.
- Vanilla extract- Adds extra flavor
Crumb Topping Ingredients
- Brown sugar- Use light brown sugar
- Flour- All purpose or self-rising works for the topping
- Butter (firm)- the bits of butter make the crumble like topping, so don’t use melted butter
- Cinnamon- gives the topping warm and delicious flavor
How to Make the Best Coffee Cake Recipe:
Step 1: Heat oven to 350° F and grease skillet with some butter.
Step 2: In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set this flour mixture to the side while you mix the wet ingredients.
Step 3: In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment (or in a large bowl with a hand mixer) cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
Step 4: Add eggs one at a time to butter mixture on medium speed. Beat well after each egg,
Step 5: Add vanilla extract.
Step 6: With the mixer on low speed, beat in half the dry ingredients until thoroughly combined. Take a rubber spatula and scrape down the edges.
Step 7: Add yogurt and mix until well combined.
Step 8: Add remaining flour and mix until thoroughly combined. This batter will be thicker than traditional cake batter.
Step 9: Pour batter into buttered skillet. Set aside and prepare topping.
Step 10: In a small separate bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
Step 11: Add firm butter and cut with pastry cutter or work into small crumbs with your fingers.
Step 12: Sprinkle the streusel topping mixture in an even layer over the top of the batter.
Step 13: Bake for 35 -40 minutes. Check with the center of the cake a cake tester or toothpick at 30-35 minutes. Cut and serve warm or cool.
Store leftovers at room temperature in a covered airtight container.
Variations and Add-ins For this Cast Iron Coffee Cake
- Crunch: If you prefer a crunchy topping, you can add some chopped pecans or toasted walnuts.
- Touch of chocolate: If you have a chocoholic in your life, add about 1/2 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips into the cake batter works great.
- Topping: This cake has a wonderful brown sugar streusel like topping which is perfect as a companion with your morning coffee. But if you’re serving this as a dessert, and want to add a little more decadence, you can add whipped cream with fresh blueberries or strawberries to the top of the cake
- Flavoring: Vanilla extract is great in this recipe, but you can add your own touch by changing that up. You can use almond extract or even a little bit of maple syrup or maple extract to the batter.
- Spices: If you want more of a cinnamon coffee cake, you can add about a teaspoon of cinnamon to the cake batter. During the fall time you may want to add more warm spices. You can add a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice or a little nutmeg and all spice. Just be careful to not add too much because those spices can be overpowering.
Absolutely! This is the perfect cake recipe to make in advance, or for freezing leftovers. Just transfer the cake from the pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Double wrap it in plastic wrap and then a layer of foil. Label it and place it in the freezer for up to a couple of months.
To thaw, just unwrap it and place it on the counter on a cake plate until it thaws.
Can I Use a Bundt Pan?
You certainly can. Of course, bake times will vary based on the size pan you use. You can use a bundt pan, tube pan or a 9×9 cake pan. Because the cake will be taller, you may even want to layer the cake batter and the topping ingredients.
All you have to do is spoon half of the batter to the prepared pan, then add half the topping mixture. Next, add the remaining batter, then top it off with remaining streusel mixture. Once the cake has been baking for about 30 minutes, you’ll want to start checking the center of it with a toothpick to see if it’s done.
Want more Breakfast or Brunch Recipes?
- Breakfast Casserole with Sausage Egg and Cheese
- Cranberry Orange Scones
- Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits
- Mediterranean Egg Bites
- Healthy Smoothies
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Rainbow Pancakes
- Blueberry Waffles with Cream Cheese
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Crescent Rolls
Coffee Cake Without Sour Cream
- 1 Hand mixer can use either a hand or stand mixer
For the cake
- Heat oven to 350° F and grease skillet with some butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set this flour mixture to the side while you mix the wet ingredients.2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment (or in a large bowl with a hand mixer) cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.1 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup butter
- Add eggs one at a time to butter mixture on medium speed. Beat well after each egg.2 eggs
- Add vanilla extract.1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- With the mixer on low speed, beat in half the dry ingredients until thoroughly combined. Take a rubber spatula and scrap down the edges.
- Add yogurt and mix until well combined.3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Add remaining flour and mix until thoroughly combined. This batter will be thicker than traditional cake batter.2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- Pour batter into buttered skillet. Set aside and prepare topping.
- In a small separate bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, and cinnamon.3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Add firm butter and cut with pastry cutter or work into small crumbs with your fingers.6 tablespoons butter
- Sprinkle the streusel topping mixture in an even layer over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 35 -40 minutes. Check with the center of the cake a cake tester or toothpick at 30-35 minutes. Cut and serve warm or cool.
- For a crunchier topping, you can add chopped pecans or toasted walnuts.
- If you’re serving this as a dessert, feel free to add fresh blueberries or strawberries with whipped cream for a more decadent treat!