This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Breakfast Casserole with Sausage, Eggs and Cheese is a delicious and easy breakfast recipe that the entire family will love. It can be prepared the night before so all you have to do in the morning is pop it in the oven, then sit back and enjoy your coffee.
There’s nothing better than enjoying breakfast as a family. From homemade Rainbow Pancakes and Blueberry Waffles to Breakfast Potatoes and Mediterranean Egg Bites, it’s truly one of our favorite meals.
But let’s face it, mornings are just crazy sometimes. With carpool drop-offs, rush hour traffic and last-minute morning errands, having the time to make a home cooked breakfast during the week can seem almost impossible.
That’s the awesome thing about this Breakfast Casserole with Sausage Eggs and Cheese! You don’t have to wait until the weekend to a enjoy a comforting and hearty breakfast. You can prepare all the ingredients the night before and in 45 minutes or less, you’ll have a delicious and satisfying one-dish meal the whole family can enjoy any day of the week.
💖Why We Love this Recipe
- Simple ingredients: This easy recipe uses all basic ingredients you can easily find at any grocery store.
- Make ahead: It’s great that you can prep for this breakfast recipe the night before. Then the next day, all you have to do is bake and serve. It is a great way to save a lot of time on busy mornings.
- Meal prep: The best part is, there are usually plenty of leftovers which takes care of breakfast the next morning too! I love any delicious recipe that makes life easier, especially when it tastes this yummy!
- Feeds a crowd: This dish makes 12 generous servings! If you’re having guests over or have a house full on Christmas morning or other holidays, this casserole has you covered!
What’s Needed to Make Egg Cheese and Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Large eggs
- Milk or heavy cream
- Cheddar cheese
- Frozen hash browns
- Italian sausage links
- Green, yellow and red bell pepper
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
How to Make Sausage Egg Casserole
Step 1. Pre heat oven to 375 degrees f. Spray the bottom of a 9×13 glass baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Step 2. Chop onion and bell peppers and slice mushrooms.
Step 3. Brown sausage over medium heat in a large skillet until cooked through. Cut into smaller pieces drain on a paper towel and set aside.
Step 4. Sauté onions and peppers in olive oil for three minutes
Step 5. Add mushrooms and sauté for one more minute. Remove from heat.
Step 6. Cover the bottom of the dish with frozen hash browns.
Step 7. Top with vegetables and sausage. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Step 8. Whisk eggs and the milk together in a mixing bowl.
Step 9. Add 3/4 cups of cheese to egg mixture.
Step 10. Pour egg mixture over vegetables.
Step 11: Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes. Remove the casserole dish and Top with remaining cheese. Bake until just melted.
Serve hot and enjoy!
Store leftovers in the fridge covered with plastic wrap or in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days.
You can change up the sausage mixture and use breakfast sausage, hot Italian sausage, ground turkey or chicken sausage. You can even use ground beef if that happens to be what you have on hand.
Can I Freeze Egg and Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole?
You sure can! This is a great recipe to freeze! You can either freeze the whole casserole or divide it into serving sizes for future last-minute meals.
What Can I Serve with This Breakfast Casserole?
This recipe is intended to be a meal all in one. But if you’re adding it to a brunch table or want to add a tasty side dish, you can always serve it with simple fresh fruit salad, Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits or even buttered toast. It really doesn’t need much more than that.
Variations for the Best Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Cheeses: If you like your sausage casserole extra cheesy, feel free to sprinkle more cheese over the top. You can use your favorite melty shredded cheese. Blended shredded Mexican cheese is really great with this casserole.
Veggies: If you aren’t a fan or yellow, green and red pepper, you can use diced poblano pepper, zucchini, green onions or even yellow squash.
Potatoes: You can use fresh or frozen hash brown potatoes, or you can even use tater tots.
Seasonings: You can change up the flavors of this sausage egg bake easily just by using different seasonings. Try adding garlic powder or onion powder. For a little added heat, you can add cayenne pepper, red pepper or hot sauce.
Want More Breakfast Recipes?
- Lemon Ricotta Pancakes
- Sugar Cookie Pancakes
- Cranberry Orange Scones
- Healthy Smoothie Recipes
- Mini Egg Muffins
- Banana Overnight Oats
- 10 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar, separate
- 3 cups frozen hash browns
- 2 spicy Italian sausage links
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375
- Cook sausage over medium heat until cooked through. Cut into smaller pieces and set aside.
- Saute onions and peppers in olive oil for three minutes.
- Add mushrooms and saute for 1-2 more minutes.
- Cover the bottom of a 9x13 glass baking pan with frozen hash browns.
- Top with vegetables and sausage.
- Whisk eggs and milk together in a bowl.
- Add 3/4 cup cheese to egg mixture.
- Pour over vegetables and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes.
- Top with 1/4 cup cheese and bake until melted (about 3-5 more minutes).
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 256Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 172mgSodium: 250mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 12g