This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These DIY Harry Potter Bookmarks are a fun family craft that’s perfect for Harry Potter fans! With just 30 minutes and a few simple supplies, you can keep the kids entertained and encourage reading at the same time!
In our house, we love all things Harry Potter! We’ve seen all the movies and my daughters have both read all the Harry Potter books. Plus, we live close enough to Universal Studios that we can visit the Wizarding World regularly.
That’s why we’re always up for something new, whether it’s a fun board game or some magical Harry Potter crafts for a rainy day. Now, in honor of the new Fantastic Beasts movie coming out, we’ve got a brand new craft to share!
With just a few simple supplies found at the craft store, you can represent your favorite Hogwarts house with a felt bookmark craft. These DIY Harry Potter Bookmarks are absolutely perfect for a birthday party or family-night activity. They even make a great gift for your favorite Harry Potter fan!
How To Make A Harry Potter Bookmark
When you make your bookmark, you should choose the house colors that reflect your true qualities! Are you part of Gryffindor? Or maybe you’re a Hufflepuff? Ravenclaw? Slytherin?
Since you probably don’t have a magical sorting hat on hand, here’s a little refresher on the qualities that best match each of the Hogwarts houses.
Hmmm… now how can we tell if one is a Gryffindor?
Gryffindor students possess a brave and daring heart, steady nerves, and a strong sense of chivalry. If this is you, then you most definitely belong at the Gryffindor House next to everyone’s favorite wizards, Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Ron Weasley!
Colors: Maroon & Yellow
If you show traits of hard work, patience, dedication, fair play, and loyalty, you’ve got what it takes to be a member of Hufflepuff.
Colors: Yellow & Black
The school of Ravenclaw values students with an appreciation for knowledge, intelligence, curiosity, with a dash of creativity and wit! If those are the traits best describe you, then you must be a Ravenclaw!
Colors: Blue & Grey
The fact that the Slytherin House emblem is a snake gives us some insight into the qualities you’d need for this house. Slytherin students possess cunningness, self-preservation, resourcefulness, leadership, and ambition. If you’re part of this house, you’ll find yourself rubbing shoulders with Draco Malfoy and his gang!
Colors: Green & Grey
Now rehearse your spells, arm yourself with your favorite wand, and let’s get crafty!
What You’ll Need To Make Harry Potter Bookmarks
- Felt bookmark pattern sheet
- Craft Felt – Ruby, Gold, Black, Kelly Green, Silver Grey, Royal Blue
- Fabric Glue – E6000 Fabri-Fuse Liquid Fabric Glue
- Permanent Marker
- Straight Pins
- Scissors – Regular and Detail
- Repositionable Adhesive Runner
Harry Potter Bookmarks
These DIY Harry Potter Bookmarks are both easy and fun and make the perfect Harry Potter craft for both wizards and muggles alike!
- Print the pattern sheet, then cut out the templates. Pin a tie pattern onto the following colors: ruby, black, Kelly green and royal blue, then cut out the tie shapes.
- Use the ruler and marker to measure two pieces of gold and silver gray felt 3/4" wide by 12" long and 1/4" wide by 12" long.
- Starting from the bottom line of the tie base, fit gold stripes to the black and ruby ties and silver grey stripes to the royal blue and Kelly green ties. You can use one of the 3/4" stripes as a spacer. Roughly cut the lengths of felt with scissors.
- Use E6000 Fabri-Fuse blue to carefully attach all the stripes to the ties.
- Attach the crest pattern to gold craft felt with a straight pin. Cut out with scissors. Repeat a second time with gold felt, then two more times with silver gray felt.
- Cut out house monogram letters and apply temporary adhesive runner to the back. Attach the G to ruby/maroon craft felt. Next, attach the H to black felt, the S to Kelly green felt and R to royal blue felt.
- Use the liquid fabric glue to attach the G and the H to the gold crests. Then attach the S and R to the silver gray crests.
- Flip each of the tie bookmarks over and trim the stripes so that they're even with the edges of the tie.
- Attach each of the house monogram crests to the matching felt tie bookmark with liquid fabric clue.
If you're planning to use this as a birthday party activity, you can save time by cutting out the pieces ahead of time. Separate them into individual plastic bags (with the pieces for one tie in each bag) so that each child gets a bag with all the pieces they'll need.
Your little ones are going to have so much fun with this craft! The best part is that it’s perfect for everything from a Harry Potter party, movie night or just some rainy day fun! All you need to do is grab a few supplies and let the magic begin!