This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
DIY Harry Potter wands are perfect for your next movie night, Harry Potter party or just some rainy day fun! No two wands will turn out exactly the same and the grownups will have just as much fun making their own wand as the kids will!
If you’re a regular reader, you’ve probably figured out that I’m a pretty big Harry Potter fan. In fact, my whole family is a little obsessed. We’ve seen all the Harry Potter movies, read the books and made more than our fair share of visits to the Wizarding World at Universal Studios.
Of course, we love making Harry Potter crafts too! Little wizards and muggles alike will love making their own Harry Potter wands. Not only is this idea perfect for some rainy day fun but it makes a great birthday party activity too. You can even whip up a few of these Harry Potter recipes to enjoy while you’re crafting.
The fun part about these DIY Harry Potter wands is that you can get as creative as you want. Try to recreate Harry’s want or make your own version. No two wands will turn out exactly the same and each one has it’s own special magic!
What You Need To Make A DIY Harry Potter Wand
- Wooden sticks
- Black acrylic paint
- Gold and silver metallic paint
- Ribbon, rope or suede cord
- Glitter (optional)
Tips and Tricks
- The first thing you’ll do is pick your stick and you’ll want to choose the right one. The more knobs and imperfections it has, the better. They give your want a more natural, rustic feel.
- The type of wood doesn’t really matter, as long as it’s strong and has tight bark that’s not falling off. If it flakes off, it may take some of the magic along with it.
- You can use layers of hot glue to sculpt your wand handles into different shapes. Pile layers to make gems look deep set or create sections that are slightly wider. Use different paints and ribbon to make it unique and you can even add glitter to give it a bit of sparkle!
DIY Harry Potter Wand
- Hot glue gun (cordless is easiest to work with)
- Mod Podge (for glitter)
- Start by making the handle. Apply hot glue around the bottom third of your stick, adding extra for a better grip and more texture.
- Using the hot glue, apply gems and adjust the shape of the wand as needed.
- Paint the handle and top of the wand with whatever base coat color you choose. Set aside to dry for a few minutes.
- Use metallic paint to lightly brush over the raised areas, giving the want an antique look. Give the wand a couple minutes more to dry.
- If you want to add a little sparkle, use a little bit of hot glue or Mod Podge to attach glitter, gems, ribbon, rope and/or suede.
- Let your wands dry overnight (or if you need to make magic happen in a hurry, dry them with a hairdryer). Once dry, you're ready to start casting spells!
- If your stick has bark, make sure it's tightly attached. If it starts to flake off after you make your wand, it'll take the decorations with it. You can always smooth it down with a little sand paper.
- If you can't find sticks (or just don't have time to go foraging for them), you can substitute chopsticks or wooden dowels instead.
As you can see, we used different base colors, starting with a more neutral color for our first wand and switching it up with purple paint for some others.
Whether you’re making this fun craft for a Harry Potter birthday party or as Halloween crafts, everyone will love having their very own wizard wands. Now grab yours, give us your best “wingardium leviosa” and make a little magic happen!
I think what we love most about this Harry Potter craft idea is that we can make as many as we want!
What kind of wand would you make?
More Harry Potter Ideas
Want more awesome Harry Potter ideas? Check out some of my other posts…
- Harry Potter Recipes
- Harry Potter Butterbeer Recipe
- Butterbeer Ice Cream
- Frozen Butterbeer
- Butterbeer Cupcakes
- Butterbeer Fudge
- Butterbeer Cookies
- Acid Pops
- Pumpkin Pasties
- Treacle Tarts
- Harry Potter Printable Coloring Pages
- Harry Potter Crafts For Kids
- Harry Potter Party Ideas
- Printable Harry Potter Banner
- Harry Potter Party Favor Ideas
- Best Gifts For Harry Potter Fans
- Harry Potter Goodie Bags
- Harry Potter Bingo
- DIY Harry Potter Wands
- Harry Potter Valentines
- Harry Potter Valentine Box
- Monster Book Of Monsters Valentine Box
- Harry Potter Pumpkin (no carve)
- Golden Snitch Pumpkin (no carve)
- Harry Potter Party Invitations
- Harry Potter Thank You Cards
- Golden Snitch Peanut Butter Balls
- Harry Potter Water Bottle Label
- What Not To Miss At The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter
- Harry Potter Studio Tour London