This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This easy and delicious Hamburger Rice Casserole combines the savory goodness of ground beef with fluffy rice. Cooked in a rich, buttery beef broth, it’s a warm and comforting meal the whole family will love.
Table of Contents
Ground Beef and Rice Casserole
This super easy and super flavorful rice and hamburger casserole is a satisfying meal that even your pickiest eaters will love. You’ll have this dish ready to pop in the oven with only about 10 minutes of prep-time.
It’s the perfect recipe for those busy evenings when you want something delicious on the table without a lot of fuss. What I really love about this easy casserole is that the rice is cooked in the same baking dish as the other ingredients. This saves time, and let’s face it, it’s one less pot to wash when dinner is done.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Hearty meal – The combination of seasoned ground beef, rice, and flavorful broth creates a wholesome and very satisfying dish.
- Easy recipe – This hamburger rice casserole is a simple dish that’s easy to put together using ingredients you probably already have on hand.
- Great for any occasion – Whether it’s a cozy family dinner, a potluck, a casual, or even a special occasion, this casserole is always a hit.
- Olive oil
- Lean ground beef
- Sweet onion, chopped
- Fresh garlic cloves, minced
- Jasmine rice (or other long grain white rice), uncooked
- Canned French Onion soup
- Canned beef consomme or beef broth
- Unsalted butter, sliced
- Fresh chopped parsley or green onions for garnish (optional)
How to Make Hamburger and Rice Casserole
Step 1. Preheat the oven to 425 F and lightly grease a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
Step 2. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once heated, brown ground beef with the chopped onions, and minced garlic.
Step 3. As it cooks, break the ground beef apart into smaller crumbles and continue to cook until brown and onions start to soften. This usually takes about 5-7 minutes. Drain any excess grease and transfer to the prepared casserole dish.
Step 4. Add uncooked rice, French onion soup, beef consommé, and water. Stir the ingredients to combine.
Step 5. Place the slices of butter right on top.
Step 6. Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Step 7. After 30 minutes, remove the foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until the rice is fully cooked and tender.
Step 8. Once baked, take a fork and fluff the cooked rice. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley or green onions. Enjoy!
How To Store Leftovers
Let the casserole cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days, then reheat leftovers in the microwave. You can also bake in the oven, covered, at 350° F until heated through.
Can I Freeze This Beef And Rice Casserole Recipe?
You sure can. Once it has baked and cooled, you can either freeze it as a whole dish, or divide into individual portions. Freeze in a freezer-safe container for up to 2-3 months.
Make sure to label the container with the name of the dish and the date you cooked it. Thaw it overnight in the refridgerator before reheating it.
Rice and Ground Beef Casserole Recipe Variations
- Cheesy hamburger rice casserole: You can easily make this a cheesy ground beef casserole by mixing in about 2 cups of shredded cheese. For extra cheesy goodness, once the dish has cooked, add more cheese on top and stick it back in the oven until it is melted and gooey. Cheddar cheese and mozzarella are perfect options.
- Swap the type of rice: You can make this casserole with basmati rice, jasmine rice, or any type of white long grain rice. Wild rice and brown rice can also be used, but you may have to add a little more liquid. The cook time may vary depending on the type of rice you use.
- Change the protein: This recipe is made with beef, but you can use ground chicken or ground turkey if you prefer.
- Beef consommé: You can usually find consommé in the grocery store where you would find cream of chicken soup. Beef consommé has a stronger flavor than beef broth. But if you can’t find it, it’s totally fine to use beef broth or beef stock.
- French onion soup: If you want a creamier mixture, you can swap out one of the cans of French onion soup with cream of mushroom soup or cream of golden mushroom soup.
- Add some veggies: If you want to make this a complete meal, feel free to add chopped vegetables. Mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini, or asparagus tips are good choices. You don’t even have to cook them. Just cut them into small pieces and mix into the cooked beef mixture.
Beef and Rice Casserole FAQS
There are several reasons why it’s not best to use minute rice. The main reason is that type of rice is pre-cooked and then dehydrated.
This makes the texture softer and less likely to hold its shape while the casserole cooks in the oven, like regular rice does.
Another reason is that it absorbs liquid quickly. This can cause the casserole to become too mushy or soupy.
While there are some recipes that allow you to use leftover cooked rice, for this recipe you’ll need to use uncooked. This is because as the rice cooks, it soaks up the soup and consommé. This not only gives the rice flavor, but it also prevents it from being too runny. Cooked rice would become too mushy.
No one wants to bite into uncooked rice. To make sure it’s done, choose a rice grain near the center of the casserole to taste. If it’s still a little hard, cover the casserole with foil and stick it back in the oven for a few more minutes.
Looking for Other Easy Dinner Recipes?
- Easy Homemade Lasagna
- Easy Baked Ziti
- Lemon Rosemary Chicken
- Honey Garlic Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken And Veggies
- Homemade Shake & Bake Pork Chops
- Philly Cheesesteak Pasta
- Chicken Alfredo Bake
- Baked Ziti With Veggies
- Taco Stuffed Peppers
- Mushroom & Sausage Stuffed Peppers
- Shrimp Stuffed Peppers
- Chicken Pasta Bake
- Zucchini Spaghetti w/ mushrooms & peppers
- Pesto Zucchini Noodles
- Cilanto Lime Shrimp Tacos
Hamburger Rice Casserole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef I used 90% lean
- ½ sweet onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 ½ cups Jasmine rice or other long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 2 cans French Onion soup 10.5 ounce size
- 2 cans beef consomme or beef broth 10.5 ounce size
- ⅓ cup water
- ¾ cup unsalted butter sliced
- Fresh chopped parsley or green onions for garnish optional
- Preheat the oven to 425 F and lightly grease a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once heated, brown ground beef with the chopped onions, and minced garlic.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 ½ pounds ground beef, ½ sweet onion, 3 garlic cloves
- As it cooks, break the ground beef apart into smaller crumbles and continue to cook until brown and onions start to soften. This usually takes about 5-7 minutes. Drain any excess grease.
- In the prepared casserole dish, add ground beef mixture, uncooked rice, French onion soup, beef consommé, and water. Stir the ingredients to combine.2 ½ cups Jasmine rice, 2 cans French Onion soup, 2 cans beef consomme or beef broth, ⅓ cup water
- Place the slices of butter right on top.¾ cup unsalted butter
- Cover with foil and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the foil and bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until the rice is fully cooked and tender.
- Once baked, take a fork and fluff the cooked rice. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley or green onions. Enjoy!Fresh chopped parsley or green onions for garnish