This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Hot Chocolate Charcuterie Board is perfect for all your holiday entertaining this year. Party guests will love personalizing their own mug of hot cocoa with this fun variety of tasty toppings!
Hot Chocolate Board
Christmas charcuterie boards are everywhere this time of year and for good reason! These grazing or snack boards make such a pretty presentation and are always a fun way to serve a crowd.
After making this festive Candy Cane Snack Board, I began think about other fun ideas for the holiday season. Well, who doesn’t love a hot cup of cocoa! With this hot cocoa board, everyone can add whatever delicious toppings they like.
The best thing about charcuterie boards are that they look impressive but they’re actually super easy to pull together. For this cocoa-themed board, you just place a bowl of classic hot chocolate mix in the center of a large serving board. Then just surround it with different candies, marshmallows and other customizable toppings.
Why We Love this Idea
- Perfect for parties – Hot cocoa or dessert charcuterie boards are always the perfect addition to parties, family get-togethers or any special occasion. It’s also fun for your next family movie night!
- Simple – It doesn’t require a lot of fancy ingredients. You can get everything you need from the grocery store or Target.
- So much fun – A hot cocoa board adds so much holiday fun to parties when you’re serving a big group because everyone gets to add their own favorite toppings.
- Customizable – It’s easy to make this into a smaller board using fewer toppings or smaller amounts for just a few people.
- Large cutting board (or any style of a charcuterie board)
- Various small bowls
- Stir sticks
- Small spoons for the toppings
What’s Needed to Make a Hot Cocoa Board
- Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa Mix
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
- Brach’s crushed candy canes
- Chocolate and peppermint hot cocoa stirrers
- Ghirardelli peppermint bark squares
- Peppermint Hershey kisses
- Hot Cocoa Bombs
- Christmas sprinkles
- Pirouline wafer cookies
- Miniature candy canes or peppermint sticks
- Mini marshmallows
- Christmas shaped marshmallows (or regular miniature marshmallows)
- Snowman Hot Cocoa cup toppers (got ours from Target)
- Paper straws
How to Make a Hot Cocoa Charcuterie Board
Step 1. To build this board, start with a bowl of cocoa in the center of the board, wooden tray or large platter.
Note: Don’t overfill it because you can refill it as needed.
Step 2. Placed the chocolate chunks and crushed peppermints on the board with a smaller cup of sprinkles.
Note: You can place things and rearrange, as needed. The bowls give a nice starting point.
Step 3. Add the longer ingredients and spread them out around the board (straws, Pirouline wafers, and cocoa stirrers).
Step 4. Fill in around those with Ghirardelli chocolate squares, mini candy canes, and Hershey kisses.
Step 5. Fill in all of the outer spaces with the fluffy marshmallows.
Step 6. Position the hot chocolate bombs and cocoa toppers around the board.
Step 7. Finally, go around the board and fill in any empty space wherever needed with more candy canes, straws, marshmallows or other candies, to give the board a really full appearance.
It’s just that easy! Your hot chocolate dessert board ready to serve at your next holiday party! Just add mugs of warm milk or water!
What Does the Word Charcuterie Mean?
Charcuterie is a French word and a fancy way of saying “cooked assortment of meats.” Now, charcuterie boards are referred to as themed assortment of foods arranged on a large wood board or serving tray.
You can make dessert boards with different bite sized sweets, fruit boards, finger sandwich charcuterie boards or for all the hot chocolate lovers in your life, this fun hot cocoa board.
Other Yummy Hot Chocolate Toppings
- Candy: You can add other flavors of Hershey’s kisses, white chocolate chips, caramel candies, Andes mints or soft peppermints. As long as it will melt in the warm cocoa, it works.
- Cocoa: We love to use premade classic hot cocoa mix but you can add other flavors like mocha, salted caramel or white chocolate cocoa mix.
- Sauces: Another great way to top hot cocoa is with whipped cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce or chocolate syrup.
- Stir sticks: Cinnamon sticks make great stir sticks. You can also serve chocolate spoons, peppermint spoons or peppermint sticks to stir the hot cocoa.
Can I Serve Homemade Hot Chocolate with this Board?
You can certainly use homemade hot cocoa instead of the dry mix. To make it easier to serve a crowd, you can add any of your favorite hot chocolate recipes to a large slow cooker so it’ll stay warm throughout the party.
Boozy Hot Cocoa Board
For an adults-only twist, you can serve boozy hot cocoa! Peppermint schnapps, amaretto, spiced rum or Irish cream is the perfect way to take a cup of hot cocoa to the next level.
More Fun Holiday Recipes
- Christmas Tree Cupcakes
- Mint Chocolate Meringue Cookies
- Santa Hat Cupcakes
- Christmas Poke Cake
- Vanilla Spiced Eggnog
- Christmas Candy Cupcakes
- Holiday Party Mix
- Candy Cane Inspired Mini Cheesecakes
- Peppermint Ice Cream with White Chocolate
Hot Chocolate Charcuterie Board
- 2 cups Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa Mix
- 1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
- ½ cup Brach’s crushed candy canes
- ¼ cup Christmas sprinkles
- 4-5 Chocolate and peppermint hot cocoa stirrers
- 10-12 Pirouline wafer cookies
- 10 Ghirardelli peppermint bark squares
- 24 Mini candy canes
- 1 cup Peppermint Hershey kisses
- 5 ounces Mini marshmallows
- 5 ounces Christmas shaped marshmallows can substitute more miniature marshmallows
- 2-3 Hot Cocoa Bombs our star shaped ones came from Target
- To build this board, start with a bowl of cocoa in the center of the board, wooden tray or large platter.2 cups Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa Mix
- Placed the chocolate chunks and crushed peppermints on the board with a smaller cup of sprinkles.1 cup Semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks, ½ cup Brach’s crushed candy canes, ¼ cup Christmas sprinkles
- Add the longer ingredients and spread them out around the board (straws, Pirouline wafers, and cocoa stirrers).4-5 Chocolate and peppermint hot cocoa stirrers, 10-12 Pirouline wafer cookies
- Fill in around those with Ghirardelli chocolate squares, mini candy canes, and Hershey kisses.10 Ghirardelli peppermint bark squares, 1 cup Peppermint Hershey kisses, 24 Mini candy canes
- Fill in all of the outer spaces with the fluffy marshmallows.5 ounces Christmas shaped marshmallows, 5 ounces Mini marshmallows
- Position the hot chocolate bombs and cocoa toppers around the board.2-3 Hot Cocoa Bombs
- Finally, go around the board and fill in any empty space wherever needed with more candy canes, straws, marshmallows or other candies, to give the board a really full appearance.
- Don’t overfill your hot cocoa bowl because it may spill as people make their drinks. You can refill it as needed.
- Place things on the board and rearrange as needed. Get as creative as you like!