Want a delicious snack for your next holiday gathering? Everyone will go crazy for this White Chocolate “Elf Food” party mix!
This holiday season has been a lot of fun! I think I’ve done more baking this year than all other years combined and it’s been fun trying out so many different recipes. When I got invited to a party recently, I wanted to bring something sweet but I’ve made so many cookies lately that I decided to try something a little different. A friend had recently given me a bag of her homemade Chex party mix and when I went to the Chex site to look for recipes, I couldn’t believe how many awesome choices there were! I’ve always been crazy for regular Chex Party Mix but the Holiday flavors all looked so amazing! I was finally able to narrow it down, ultimately deciding on the Elf Food party mix! Of course, we needed our favorite Elf (lovingly named “Elfy”) to participate.
Disclaimer: No elf magic was lost during the production of this blog post. See proof at the end of the post.
[bctt tweet=”Make this delicious White Chocolate Party Mix for your holiday celebrations!”]
I stopped by Publix, picked up everything I needed and headed home to get started. I also grabbed some cute Christmas Ziploc containers…they always come in handy around the holidays! Elfy (such an original name, I know) heard I was making elf food and wanted to lend a helping hand. That’s what he said anyway…I think he just wanted to sneak away with some Chex and marshmallows…you know how those elves love marshmallows!
This was a really fun and easy recipe to make! Start by melting white chocolate with Cheerios, spread it out on some wax paper to harden and add some sprinkles.
Then you’ll want to take your Chex cereal…hey, where’d he come from…
…and combine it with melted butter, brown sugar and maple sugar! Microwave for a few minutes, stirring occasionally, until it turns a nice golden brown. Spread on wax paper to cool off.
Once it’s cool, break apart the white chocolate/cheerio mixture, add marshmallows and drizzle with a little more white chocolate. That part’s not in the original recipe but doesn’t drizzled chocolate make everything taste better?!
I packed some of the Elf Food in my new Ziploc containers. They are cute to begin with and you can dress them up even more with a little ribbon and an ornament or two.
Uh oh…I caught Elfy trying to sneak a taste before we left!
Now for the disclaimer: I did have to touch Elfy during this photo shoot but I obtained special permission from Santa before I began. Even so, it still made my three year old very nervous! (Ignore the messy handwriting…it was late and I was hurrying to get the note written before Elfy took off for the North Pole!)
There are so many fun things you can make with Chex cereal! What kind of party mix would you create?
- 1/2 cup white vanilla baking chips
- 1/2 cup Cheerios cereal
- 2 tablespoons candy sprinkles
- 6 cups Corn Chex or Rice Chex cereal
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- Heat white vanilla baking chips in microwave on high for 30-45 seconds or until they can be stirred smooth.
- Stir in Cheerios cereal.
- Spread on wax paper and top with sprinkles.
- Let stand until set (about 30 minutes), then break into pieces and set aside.
- Place Chex cereal in a large microwavable bowl.
- Melt butter uncovered on high for about 30 seconds.
- Add brown sugar and maple syrup and microwave on high about 30 seconds or until mixture is boiling.
- Pour over Chex cereal in bowl, stirring until evenly coated.
- Microwave Chex cereal mixture uncovered on high for 3-4 minutes, stirring every minute until mixture begins to brown.
- Spread on wax paper and cool completely, about 15 minutes.
- Break into bite size pieces.
- Stir in mini marshmallows and Cheerios pieces.
- Store in an airtight container.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 174 Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 10mg Sodium: 161mg Carbohydrates: 31g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 14g Protein: 2g