This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Malibu Pina Colada Recipe with coconut rum is like the perfect island vacation in cocktail form. With coconut flavored white rum and a creamy frozen texture, this classic drink is the perfect choice for all your summer parties!
This recipe was originally published in July 2022
If a pina colada is your go-to vacation drink order, you’re not alone. This creamy pineapple coconut concoction is a popular frozen drink that’s just begging to be enjoyed on a beach.
You don’t have to wait for your next tropical vacation though! This classic recipe, with the addition of coconut rum, brings the taste of the Caribbean right to your kitchen. Juicy pineapple chunks and pineapple juice bring the sweetness, and rich coconut cream turns this drink into a decadent frozen dessert.
And the best part about this easy Malibu pina colada cocktail is that you just toss a few simple ingredients in the blender to whip up a perfect batch every time. Perfect for summer parties and pool days, this delicious drink will bring the beach bars to you!
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Cocktail Recipe
It’s a Classic – There are few drinks more popular than piña coladas. Refreshing and sweet, they’re always a crowd pleaser and it’s a classic recipe that everyone needs in their repertoire.
It’s Perfect for Summer – This tasty cocktail is filled with tropical fruit flavor and is our favorite recipe for lounging poolside or hosting an outdoor summer event. They’re the perfect cool and refreshing cocktails for a hot, sunny day!
Easy to Serve a Crowd – This malibu piña colada is perfect for your next party, since it’s super easy to make a large batch at once. Just throw your ingredients in the blender, then add some pretty garnish. One sip of these Malibu rum drinks and your guests are guaranteed to have a good time!
- Malibu rum – tastes like coconut and adds all the boozy fun
- Cream of coconut – creates the smooth texture and adds more coconut flavor
- Pineapple juice – sweetens the cocktail
- Frozen pineapple – adds the sweetness of fresh fruit and thickens your drink
- Ice – turns this into a slushy frozen treat
- Pineapple chunks & maraschino cherries – makes your summer cocktails look pretty
How to Make Malibu Pina Coladas
Step 1: Combine frozen pineapple chunks and ice in a blender.
Step 2: Add the pineapple juice to the blender.
Step 3: Pour in your coconut rum.
Step 4: Finally, add cream of coconut.
Step 5: Blend the mixture until smooth and creamy.
Step 6: Garnish with a fresh pineapple wedge and a maraschino cherry. Enjoy!
Tips & Tricks
- Feel free to adjust the amount of ice, frozen pineapple or juice to get the consistency of your drink just right. You can add additional frozen pineapple or ice for a thicker consistency or make it thinner with a splash of pineapple juice.
- If you don’t have Malibu rum, any white rum or dark rum will also work. Or try different flavors of rum to add extra tropical flavor. Pineapple, banana, or orange flavored rum would all be delicious.
- Presentation is key for this tropical drink, since it looks as delicious as it tastes. Serve these in hurricane glasses or another tall glass, and don’t skip the cherry and pineapple wedges. A mini paper umbrella would be a great addition also!
- If you have limes on hand, feel free to add a splash of fresh lime juice to balance the sweetness.
Absolutely! It’s just as delicious without alcohol. Make a virgin pina colada by replacing the rum with juice or coconut water. You could use more pineapple juice, add orange juice, or try another tropical flavor like guava nectar.
More Pineapple Cocktails & Tropical Drinks
- Pineapple Mai Tais
- Pineapple Margaritas
- Coconut Mojitos
- Caribbean Rum Punch
- Bacardi Strawberry Daiquiris
Malibu Pina Colada Recipe
- Combine frozen pineapple chunks and ice in a blender.1/2 cup frozen pineapple chunks, 1/4 cup ice
- Add pineapple juice, coconut rum and cream of coconut to the blender.2 ounces Malibu Coconut Rum, 3 ounces pineapple juice, 1 ounce cream of coconut
- Blend the mixture until smooth and creamy.
- Garnish with a fresh pineapple wedge and a maraschino cherry. Cheers!1 pineapple wedge, 1 maraschino cherry
- You can adjust the amount of ice, frozen pineapple or juice to get the consistency of your drink just how you like it.
- Feel free to experiment with other rums like pineapple, banana, or even orange flavored rum.