This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This floral mason jar vase is a super fun and easy mason jar craft idea! It’s also a great craft for kids to make for Mother’s Day and Grandparents Day too!
There are some awesome affordable Sweet Gift Ideas for any occasion, but I’m also looking for new DIY craft activities to keep the kiddos busy. Now that summer is here, I need them more than ever! It’s a bonus when I can use materials I already have on hand (because I’m not always the best at planning ahead for when the kids start with “I’m bored!”.
I love mason jar crafts anyway and this mason jar vase is a fun craft for both kids and adults. If the kids are old enough to handle a glass jar, they’re old enough to make this. It makes a beautiful vase but can also be used to hold pencils, loose change or anything else they need to organize.
TIP: While mason jars are easily available on Amazon and big box stores, I’ve also found them super cheap at Goodwill.
How To Make A Mason Jar Vase
- Begin by cutting the tissue paper to fit the size of your mason jar. You want it to be slightly longer than your jar so that you can cover the bottom as well.
- Next, use a sponge brush to apply a thin layer of the Mod Podge to the mason jar.
- Add the tissue paper and gently press against the mason jar all the way around.
- Apply Mod Podge to the bottom of the mason jar. Fold the tissue paper under, covering the bottom.
- Now paint a thin layer of Mod Podge over the top of the tissue paper to seal it.
- Wrap jute twine around the top of the mason jar until you get your desired look. Tie it at the end or glue it to the jar with hot glue.
I don’t have twine. What else can I use?
I love using twine because it’s super cheap and gives the mason jar vase a nice rustic look. However, if you don’t have twine, you can use pretty much anything you have on hand.
Grab a colorful ribbon, macrame cord or even a thin piece of rope like I used on these DIY Coastal Bottles.
More Fun Ways to Decorate
While this decoupage style looks beautiful, there are tons of other ways to decorate your mason jar vase. Here are a few ideas to get you started.
- Use acrylic or chalk paint to paint over the mason jar completely. I did that with my mason jar utensil holder and used sandpaper to give it a weathered, rustic look.
- Cover the center of the jar completely with a strip of lace. Paint over it and allow it dry before removing the lace for a really cool effect.
- You can also paint the entire mason jar in one solid color, then add more details afterwards. Use a cutting machine to add writing or let kids decorate their jar with colored markers or glitter paint.
Don’t need an extra vase? There are lots of other ways you can use this craft too!
- Add a scented candle to add a nice scent to your home
- Fill it with fairy lights to make pretty decor for your patio table
- Plant small herbs for your kitchen window
- Use it to hold loose change
- Put it in your office and use it as a pencil holder
- Use it as a paintbrush holder
Loved this mason jar vase craft? Check out these awesome craft ideas too…