This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These butterbeer cookies are so yummy and make the perfect treat for Harry Potter fans! Whip up a batch for your Harry Potter party, movie night or just a fun wizard themed dessert!
Ever since we went to the Wizarding World Of Harry Potter in Universal Studios a few years back, my youngest and I have been a little obsessed with butterbeer. It was the first time we’d ever tried it and I wasn’t sure what to expect. Let’s just say that it didn’t disappoint!
Still have holiday shopping to do? Check out the best gifts for Harry Potter fans!
After that, I came up with my own copycat butterbeer recipe and more recently, butterbeer fudge. Now I’m moving on to the cookies because who wouldn’t want to eat cookies that have a magical Harry Potter twist, right?
Why we love this recipe
We’re always looking for fun Harry Potter party ideas, especially recipes. These cookies aren’t just for parties though. They’re also the perfect treat for movie nights, book clubs or just a fun surprise for your little Harry Potter fan.
Plus, since they’re made with cake mix and other ingredients you probably have on hand already, it’s super easy to whip up a batch.
Ingredients and variations
Cake Mix – Cookies with cake mix are always so easy so love using it whenever we get the chance!
Butterscotch Pudding – In the Harry Potter books, the three key ingredients in butterbeer are butterscotch, sugar and water. This pudding gives our cookies that all-important butterscotch flavor.
Eggs & Butter – Because all good cookie recipes have eggs and butter, right?
Rum Extract – A little rum extract goes a long way so we use just a little to complement the flavor of the butterscotch.
Butterscotch Chips and White Chocolate Chips – These are our go-to chips for our Harry Potter cookies but you can also add some variety with caramel chips or toffee bits.
How To Make Butterbeer Cookies
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk the cake mix and pudding together.
Step 2: Beat butter, eggs and rum extract on medium speed.
Step 3: Once the wet and dry ingredients are completely blended, fold in the white chocolate and butterscotch chips. Mix well.
Step 4: Scoop the dough with a cookie scoop or spoon and form into balls. Drop dough balls on your prepared baking sheet and press down slightly.
Step 5: Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the edges are golden brown but the center is still soft. Let the cookies sit on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer cooled cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
These butterbeer pudding cookies will be so much fun for your next Harry Potter movie night! There’s no better way to watch them than with butterbeer inspired foods.
If you really want to go all out, try placing a scoop of vanilla ice cream in between two cookies to make an ice cream sandwich. Another tasty idea? Crumble the cookies over the ice cream, then drizzle with butterscotch sauce!
Check back soon because I have chocolate frogs, acid pops, treacle tarts and pumpkin juice on the way. Scroll to the end for more recipes, crafts and party ideas inspired by the book series and movies!
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium bowl, whisk the cake mix and butterscotch pudding mix together.
- Add eggs, unsalted butter, and rum extract and stir to combine.
- Fold in the white chocolate and butterscotch chips.
- Scoop the dough and form into balls. Place the balls on a parchment lined baking sheet and press down slightly.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until the edges are golden brown but the center is still soft. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Store your cookies at room temperature in an airtight container or on a plate covered in plastic wrap.
Want more awesome Harry Potter ideas? Check out some of my other posts…
- Harry Potter Recipes
- Harry Potter Butterbeer Recipe
- Butterbeer Ice Cream
- Frozen Butterbeer
- Butterbeer Cupcakes
- Butterbeer Fudge
- Butterbeer Cookies
- Acid Pops
- Pumpkin Pasties
- Treacle Tarts
- Harry Potter Printable Coloring Pages
- Harry Potter Crafts For Kids
- Harry Potter Party Ideas
- Printable Harry Potter Banner
- Harry Potter Party Favor Ideas
- Best Gifts For Harry Potter Fans
- Harry Potter Goodie Bags
- Harry Potter Bingo
- DIY Harry Potter Wands
- Harry Potter Valentines
- Harry Potter Valentine Box
- Monster Book Of Monsters Valentine Box
- Harry Potter Pumpkin (no carve)
- Golden Snitch Pumpkin (no carve)
- Harry Potter Party Invitations
- Harry Potter Thank You Cards
- Golden Snitch Peanut Butter Balls
- Harry Potter Water Bottle Label
- What Not To Miss At The Wizarding World Of Harry Potter
- Harry Potter Studio Tour London