This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This post is sponsored by the Cool Foods promotion at Publix. The opinions and text are all mine.
This delicious homemade Brownie Ice Cream Cake is a chocolate lover’s dream. Featuring a fudgy brownie base, a layer of chocolate ice cream, and a whipped cream topping that’s garnished with chocolate sauce and chocolate curls, this is one easy and impressive cool treat that’s guaranteed to be a huge hit.
Table of Contents
Brownie Ice Cream Cake Recipe
This easy brownie bottom ice cream cake will make you want to skip dinner and go straight for dessert. It combines two all-time favorite sweet treats, rich, fudgy brownies, plus cool and refreshing chocolate ice cream! Although it looks really impressive with three distinct layers of goodness, it’s really super easy and a whole lot of fun to make.
I recently had some friends over and wanted to make an elegant but easy treat for the dessert table. There are some serious chocoholics in this group, so for this recipe I went all out on the chocolate flavor. But, if you want to change it up, you can swap out the chocolate ice cream with a layer of Breyers Natural Vanilla Ice Cream or any of your favorite flavors.
Cool Foods Extra Savings Promotion
Luckily, with the Cool Foods Extra Savings promotion at Publix, running from 10/08/22–10/21/22, you’ll save on all the Breyers flavors you love! It’s the perfect time to stock up on your favorites, which we definitely did. (I think I’m going to need a bigger freezer!)
Not only does Breyers Ice Cream use high-quality ingredients from all-natural sources, but their ice cream contains Grade A milk from cows that are not treated with artificial growth hormones. Combined with the fact that it tastes so amazingly creamy and delicious, it was a natural choice for our dessert recipe!
That’s not all…you can save on plenty of other delicious treats too! This Good Humor Viennetta Cake is included in the promotion, and it looked so decadent and delicious that I couldn’t resist.
I also picked up The Cheesecake Factory At Home Grand Cheesecake Selection. Everybody loves cheesecake, even more so when it’s from The Cheesecake Factory! This is a great cake to keep in the freezer, so you always have something on hand when you need a last-minute dessert!
I love that there was such a great mix of cool treats to choose from. Let’s just say that my dessert table was a big hit!
These were just a few of the savings that I took advantage of:
- $1.50 off any 1 Breyers Ice Cream (1.5 qt size)
- $4.99 Good Humor Viennetta (21.9 oz size)
- $18.99 Cheesecake Factory At Home Grand Cheesecake Selection (frozen – 2 lb 3 oz)
To find out more about all the “Cool Foods” savings, pick up the Extra Savings Flyer in-store or find it on Publix.com. If you don’t find the flyer at the kiosk by the entrance, be sure to ask for one at the customer service counter.
💖 Why We Love This Recipe
- Easy to prepare: Even though this looks like a fancy dessert, this cake is a breeze to make.
- Great make-ahead dessert: This delicious dessert can be made days in advance, which is a huge time saver if planning a party or other social gathering.
- Crowd pleaser: This cool treat appeases both ice cream and brownie fans! It’s sure to get rave reviews from everyone.
🥄 Recommended Tools
- Baking pan
- Electric mixer
- Large bowl
- Offset spatula or rubber spatula
- Measuring cups
🛒 What’s Needed to Make Brownie Ice Cream Cake
- Boxed Brownie mix-plus all the ingredients listed on the box to make the brownies. (Typically, vegetable oil, water, and eggs)
- Breyers Chocolate Ice Cream
- Whipped cream, thawed
- Chocolate syrup for topping
- Chocolate curls for garnish
📄 How to Make this Chocolate Ice Cream Cake
Step 1. Mix brownie mix, water, vegetable oil and eggs in a bowl.
Note: Be sure to use the ingredient amounts listed on box if different from above.
Step 2. Bake in a prepared pan according to directions on box. Cool brownies completely until they are at room temperature.
Step 3. Place ice cream in a mixing bowl and mix with an electric mixer until it’s slightly melted. It should be the consistency of soft-serve ice cream.
Step 4. Using an offset spatula or rubber spatula, spread ice cream in an even layer over the top of the brownie layer.
Step 5. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the freezer for two hours.
Step 6. Spread whipped topping over the top of the ice cream.
Step 7. Drizzle with chocolate syrup, then sprinkle chocolate curls over the top. Freeze for a minimum of four hours.
Note: For best results, make this dessert the day before and freeze overnight.
Tips for the Best Ice Cream Cake
- To cool brownies off faster, you can set the baking dish on top of a wire rack so air can cool the bottom of the pan faster.
- When storing this ice cream cake in the freezer, wrap it with a layer of plastic wrap, then wrap the entire dessert in a layer of foil. This will protect the cake from freezer burn.
- Before serving, take the cake out of the freezer about 10-15 minutes in advance to allow the brownie layer time to thaw enough to slice.
- To get clean slices through the layers of fudgy brownie and ice cream, you should use a sharp knife dipped in hot water and then dried off.
Ice Cream Cake Variations:
- Neapolitan brownie ice cream cake: Neapolitan flavors are always a hit. To get those same flavors with this recipe, you can replace the chocolate ice cream with strawberry ice cream. You will have the chocolate from the brownie layer, the strawberry flavors from the ice cream, and the vanilla from the cool whip layer. Top with cherries or fresh strawberries.
- Peanut butter drizzle: To give this cool treat a nutty twist, you can soften some crunchy peanut butter in the microwave and then either drizzle it between the layer of chocolate ice cream and the brownie or you can drizzle it over the whipped cream as a topping.
- Other ice cream flavors to consider: Try any of your favorite ice cream flavors to change up the flavors of the ice cream layers. Cookies and cream ice cream, butter pecan, cookie dough ice cream, and mint chip ice cream are some other favorite flavors you could try.
- Other toppings: You can create all sorts of fun variations of this dessert just by trying other toppings. Caramel sauce, chopped pecans, chopped-up peanut butter cups, or peanut butter or white chocolate chips are a few tasty options.
- Whipped topping: We used store-bought whipped topping for this recipe, but you can make your own with heavy cream and powdered sugar if you prefer.
Can I Double the Layers?
If you are feeling super creative, you can add a second brownie layer to resemble a huge ice cream sandwich. The best way to make a multiple-layered ice cream cake is to assemble it in a springform pan. For best results, bake two thinner brownie layers in two round cake pans that you have lined with a piece of parchment paper.
Once the brownies have baked and cooled, add the first layer of brownies to the bottom of the springform pan, followed by the ice cream layer. Allow that to freeze before adding the second layer of brownie. Then add the whipped topping and garnishes. Release the edges of the pan and serve!
How Long Does Ice Cream Cake Last in the Freezer?
If you store the cake wrapped well in plastic wrap or seal it tightly in an airtight container, this brownie ice cream cake will last up to three months.
Want More Chocolate Recipes
- Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins
- White Chocolate Pumpkin Truffles
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
- Chocolate Chip Oreo Brownies Bars
- Easy No Bake Chocolate Mousse
- No Bake Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls
Brownie Ice Cream Cake
- Combine brownie mix, water, vegetable oil, and eggs in a mixing bowl. (Be sure to use the ingredient amounts listed on the brownie box if different from above)1 box brownie mix, 3 tbsp water, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 2 eggs
- Bake according to the directions on the box. Let cool completely.
- Scoop ice cream into mixing bowl and mix with an electric mixer until slightly melted. It should be about the consistency of soft-serve ice cream.1.5 quarts Breyers Chocolate Ice Cream
- Spread evenly over the top of the brownie layer. Freeze for at least two hours.
- Spread whipped topping over the top of the ice cream.8 ounces whipped topping
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup, then add chocolate curls or sprinkles. Freeze for at least four hours (freeze overnight for best results).3-4 tbsp chocolate syrup, chocolate curls or chocolate sprinkles
- To cool brownies off faster, you can set the baking dish on top of a wire rack. That way, the air can get to the bottom of the pan and cool it more quickly.
- Take the cake out of the freezer about 10-15 minutes before serving. This will give the brownie layer time to thaw enough to slice.