This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These tequila sunrise Jello shots turn the classic tequila sunrise cocktail into a delicious and boozy shot. This easy recipe is a fun way to get your next summer party started!
If you’re a fan of the tequila sunrise drink, you’ll love these yummy tequila sunrise Jello shots! Inspired by the classic cocktail, their vibrant colors and delicious fruity flavors will make them a big hit at any summer gathering.
Cherry and orange Jello flavors are combined with your favorite brand of tequila and poured into shot glasses to create a pretty layered effect. Garnished with maraschino cherries and orange wedges, these look just like a cute mini version of the tequila sunrise cocktail.
These jello shots are a fun way to get all your summer parties off to a great start! If you’re looking for a new crowd-pleasing party recipe, these Jello shots are the perfect addition to all your summer fun!
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Recipe
Great for Parties – These tequila Jello shots are a great party treat to put your guests in a celebratory mood. They’d be great for a Cinco de Mayo party, or any summer gathering.
Pretty Presentation – With their pretty layered orange and red colors, these shots look just as good as they taste.
Easy – Jello, tequila, and a little bit of patience is all you need to create these easy and inexpensive treats.
- Orange Jello
- Cherry Jello
- Hot water, divided
- Cold water, divided
- Tequila, divided
- Maraschino cherries for garnish
- Fresh orange slices or wedges for garnish
- Plastic shot cups
How to Make Tequila Sunrise Jello Shots
Step 1: Whisk cherry Jello powder and 1 cup of boiling water in a small saucepan or medium mixing bowl. Stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.
Step 2: Stir ½ cup cold water and ½ cup tequila into the red gelatin.
Step 3: Pour the cherry Jello into the shot cups, forming a shallow layer. Move to the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours.
Step 4: Once the cherry layer has set, whisk the package of orange Jello into 2 cups boiling water. Continue to whisk until the Jello is dissolved.
Step 5: Stir 1 cup of water and 1 cup of tequila into the orange gelatin.
Step 6: Carefully pour the orange gelatin on top of the red layer, filling the shot cups the rest of the way to the top. Move to the refrigerator to chill again for about 4 hours or until the orange layer is set.
Step 7: Garnish with a mini orange wedge and a maraschino cherry before serving.
Tips & Tricks
- Add a sugar or salt rim to your cups for an extra festive touch. You can also add some whipped cream on top.
- Be careful not to add too much alcohol to your shots, or your Jello may not set properly.
- Don’t rush it. Be sure your cherry layer has completely set before adding the orange layer.
- Use a spouted mixing bowl to make it easier to pour the liquid into the shot glasses.
- Spray some coconut oil or Pam cooking spray in the bottom of your shot cups before pouring in the Jello. This will make your shots easier to release.
- You can use other flavors of Jello in shades of red or orange, such as raspberry, peach, or strawberry.
Yes! You can easily make these Jello shots ahead of time. Make them up to a couple days in advance so that there’s less to do on the day of the party. Just wait to garnish them until ready to serve.
Store these shots in the fridge in an airtight container or use the small plastic cups made for Jello shots that come with individual lids. They’ll keep for about 2-3 days.
Sure! They won’t really be tequila sunrise shots anymore, but they’ll still be delicious. If you don’t have tequila, make regular layered Jello shots by swapping it for rum or vodka.
More Fun Jello Shot Recipes
- Cotton Candy Jello Shots
- Green Apple Fireball Jello Shots
- Pina Colada Jello Shots
- Rainbow Jello Shots
- Orange Creamsicle Jello Shots
Tequila Sunrise Jello Shots
- Whisk cherry Jello mix and 1 cup of boiling water in a small saucepan. Continue to whisk until the Jello is completely dissolved.1 small box cherry jello, 3 cups boiling water
- Stir ½ cup cold water and ½ cup tequila into the Jello mixture.1 ½ cups cold water, 1 ½ cups tequila
- Pour into the shot cups, forming a shallow layer. Move to the refrigerator to chill for 2 hours.
- Once the cherry layer has set, whisk the package of orange Jello into 2 cups boiling water. Continue to whisk until the Jello is dissolved.1 large box orange jello, 3 cups boiling water
- Stir 1 cup of cold water and 1 cup of tequila into the orange Jello mixture.1 ½ cups cold water, 1 ½ cups tequila
- Pour on top of the first layer, filling the shot cups the rest of the way to the top with the orange Jello mixture. Move to the refrigerator to chill again for about 4 hours or until the orange layer is set.
- Garnish with a mini orange wedge and a maraschino cherry before serving.16 Maraschino cherries, 16 Fresh orange slices or wedges
- Be sure you don’t add too much alcohol to your shots or your Jello may not set properly.
- If you spray a little coconut oil or Pam cooking spray in the bottom of your shot cups before pouring in the Jello, it’ll make your shots slide out easier.