This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This rich and creamy No Bake Chocolate Mousse recipe is super simple to make yet so elegant, it will make any occasion seem special! Melted chocolate is folded into sweetened whipped cream until it becomes a light and fluffy dessert that’s absolutely perfect!
Chocolate is a really serious thing in my home. In fact, if it were up to me, I would make chocolate its own food group! That’s why I am super excited to be sharing this easy 4 ingredient chocolate mousse recipe. It is an easy no bake chocolate dessert that you can make with very little time and effort.
One of the things that make this mousse recipe so awesome is that you can use it to create other great no bake desserts. Spoon the mousse into this homemade Graham Cracker Pie Crust, top it off with a little more whipped cream and just like that you have an amazing no bake chocolate mousse pie!
Or if you have a serious chocolate lover in your life, you can use this creamy chocolate mousse to make a triple chocolate trifle. Just layer the mousse with some crumbled Brownie Mix Cookies in a trifle dish for a really delicious dessert.
Why We Love this Recipe
- This easy mousse recipe is loaded with incredibly rich and chocolatey flavor from two different type of chocolates.
- It’s a no bake dessert that only uses 4 simple ingredients and could not be easier to whip up. Another great no bake recipe is this No Bake Pineapple Fluff.
- When you pipe this mousse into pretty dessert cups or glasses, it makes such an impressive looking dessert. Nobody will ever know how simple it was and it’s a great recipe for your next dinner party.
What’s Needed for this Easy Chocolate Mousse Recipe
- Sweet baking chocolate
- Semi-sweet chocolate
- Heavy whipping cream
- Powdered sugar
How to Make No Bake Homemade Chocolate Mousse
Step 1. Using a sharp knife and a cutting board, roughly chop the sweet baking chocolate.
Step 2. Combine sweet and semi-sweet chocolate in a saucepan. Melt over medium heat, stirring frequently.
Step 3. Let cool until just above room temperature but still melted
Step 4. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer with the whisk attachment, beat the cup of heavy cream at medium speed until foamy.
Step 5. Gradually add powdered sugar and continue beating until soft to semi-stiff peaks form.
Step 6. Gently fold whipped cream into cooled chocolate mixture
Step 7. Using a spoon or a resealable plastic bag or frosting bag (recommended), fill small glasses or dessert cups with the mousse mixture and chill. Enjoy!
Step 8. Store leftover mousse in an airtight container or in a glass bowl covered with plastic wrap
The number one reason could be because you’ve let the cream sit out too long. You must use cold heavy cream, right out of the fridge, for the fat to be able emulsify and maintain fluffy peaks.
What’s The Difference Between Chocolate Pudding And Chocolate Mousse?
Though both are scrumptious there are a couple of things that set the two apart. First, pudding is thickened with cornstarch and sometimes eggs, while mousse uses whipped heavy cream as a thickener.
Also, while both mousse and pudding are smooth and creamy, pudding has a denser texture, where mousse has little pockets of air that makes it have a light and airy texture that almost melts on your tongue.
Can I Freeze Chocolate Mousse?
Because this is an eggless chocolate mousse recipe, you can freeze it. Having said that, you may notice that the texture changes when it thaws, because as the heavy cream changes temperature, it will sometimes break down.
If you want mousse to keep it’s light and fluffy texture, it’s recommended that you serve it when freshly made.
What Toppings Pair Best with Chocolate Mousse
It’s absolutely delicious served just like it is, but you can add a little caramel sauce to make it even more decadent! You also might want to try some of these topping ideas:
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate ganache or chocolate syrup
- Mini white chocolate chips
- Dusting of cocoa powder
- Crushed chocolate cookies
- Additional chocolate shavings
- Fresh raspberries
Variations and Tips for the Best Chocolate Mousse
- Because you make this recipe with only 4 ingredients, be sure to use a high-quality chocolate.
- To make things a little easier, if you prefer, you can melt it in the microwave on a low setting in a microwave-safe bowl.
- If you prefer milk chocolate or dark chocolate, you can substitute the semi-sweet for either one, or use a combination of both.
- You can eat this no bake mousse immediately but it’s really best to let it chill in the fridge for a few hours before serving.
- While the mousse is in the fridge, you’ll want to keep it covered with plastic wrap, so it doesn’t pick up smells from other foods.
- A pro tip to help intensify the deep chocolate flavor is to add a little instant espresso powder. You only need a teaspoon, and you’ll be amazed by how much richer it makes the chocolate taste.
- Half and half and heavy cream are not the same thing and for best results with this recipe, it’s important you use full fat heavy cream. The more fat, the more stable the whipped cream will be.
Want More No Bake Dessert Recipes?
- Peanut Butter and Coconut No Bake Cookies
- No Bake Pineapple Pie with Cool Whip
- No Bake Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Balls
- Oreo Fluff
- No Bake Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bites
- No Bake White Raspberry Cheesecake
- 2 oz sweet baking chocolate
- 2 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- Combine sweet and semi-sweet chocolate in a saucepan
- Melt over medium heat, stirring frequently
- Cool until lukewarm
- Beat cream at medium speed until foamy
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until soft peaks form
- Gently fold whipped cream into chocolate,
- Remove white chocolate cups from mold
- Using a spoon or a frosting bag (recommended), fill each white chocolate cup with mousse.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 11mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 2g