This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Roasted Sweet Potato Slices with brown sugar make the perfect side dish for any meal. Add garlic, parmesan and thyme and you’ve got amazing recipe that’s bursting with incredible flavor.
It’s that time of year…time to start thinking about Thanksgiving dinner. It’s the one meal that you have to start planning way ahead of time but that’s all part of the fun!
Some people may love the turkey but I’m all about the Thanksgiving side dishes! Sweet potatoes are a Thanksgiving staple on our holiday table, but I’m not a fan of the traditional sweet potato casserole recipe with brown sugar and mini marshmallows. Marshmallows are meant for desserts and campfires, right?
The savory flavors of these baked sweet potato slices aren’t just perfect for Thanksgiving. They’re great all throughout the year with main courses like roast chicken, pork tenderloin, baked ham or even these Grilled Chicken Kabobs.
Why We Love Roasted Sliced Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet and savory flavor: Savory herbs and parmesan add so much savory flavor that’s a nice contrast to the natural sweetness in the potatoes. It’s the perfect combination!
- Easy recipe: This recipe uses simple ingredients with very little prep time. They’re great for those times when you’re busy cooking a gazillion things for a holiday meal.
- Kid approved: You’ll have no trouble getting your picky eaters to try this dish. The sweetness from the potatoes makes eating their veggies almost seem like they are eating dessert!
What’s Need to Make This Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Sweet potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Italian seasoning, garlic and fresh thyme
- Brown Sugar
How to Make Roasted Sweet Potato Slices
Step 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Step 2. Peel then slice the potatoes in about 1/8-inch slices and set aside.
Step 3. Add the melted butter to a gallon sized plastic bag or a large bowl. Add in the olive oil, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, minced garlic, brown sugar and thyme.
Step 4. Place sweet potato rounds inside the bag and move around until they’re covered with the seasoning mixture.
Step 5. Add the round slices of potatoes into rows in a 9×13 baking dish lined with parchment paper.
Step 6. Top with remaining mixture from bag and bake in a hot oven for 40-45 minutes (add a little more time for thicker slices).
Step 7. Remove from oven and serve hot.
To store leftovers, allow them to cool to room temperature. Place them in an airtight container and place in the fridge for up to 4-5 days.
Not only is this a tasty and simple side dish, but it’s also healthy! Sweet potatoes are a good source of potassium, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin B6, fiber and many other vitamins and nutrients.
You can read about all the health benefits associated with eating sweet potatoes in this article on Healthline.
Do You Need to Peel Sweet Potatoes First?
Yes, you will get the best results with this recipe if you peel them first. If you have a vegetable peeler, that will help make it a lot easier.
How Do You Cut Sweet Potatoes?
This is a personal preference. This recipe calls for the sweet potatoes to be sliced but you can also cube them. Use a long and very sharp knife, since cutting through a large, sweet potato can take a little work. If you have a mandolin slicer, it can make this job super easy.
Can I Make These Potatoes in Advance?
When you are preparing several dishes, especially for holiday dinners, any short cut is helpful. That’s a great thing about this recipe! You can assemble this dish the night before then bake it the next day.
Or you can bake it the night before and just reheat it in the oven. They’re just as delicious the next day.
How Do You Roast Sweet Potatoes?
Once these sweet potatoes are seasoned, just cook them at 400 for 40-45 minutes depending on the thickness of the slices. The cooking time and oven temperature may change if you plan to cut them into cubes instead.
Variations and Add-ins
Spices: For a bit of smoky spiciness, add a touch of chili powder. Ground cinnamon works well with the herbs in this recipe also.
Maple Syrup: If you like your potatoes more sweet than savory, you can drizzle the tops of the potato rounds with a touch of maple syrup. It will work with the brown sugar to really sweeten them up. Honey will work well also.
Orange zest: Add a couple tablespoons of orange zest in with the herbs to really brighten up the flavors.
Nuts: Chopped pecans or walnuts add a little crunch that work so well with the creaminess of the potatoes.
Looking for more Thanksgiving Recipes?
- 20 Best Thanksgiving Desserts
- Pumpkin Whoopie Pies
- 11 Thanksgiving Turkey Recipes
- Pumpkin Roll Parfait
- 20 Best Holiday Ham Recipes
- Rosemary Parmesan Crescent Rolls
- 30 Best Thanksgiving Side Dishes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Rinse and peel the sweet potatoes
- Use a sharp knife to cut the sweet potatoes into 1/8 inch slices. Set aside
- Melt butter and pour into a gallon size plastic bag. Add olive oil, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, minced garlic, brown sugar and thyme to bag and mix together.
- Place sweet potatoes in bag and seal. Move the sweet potatoes around inside the bag to be sure they're fully covered with garlic and parmesan mixture.
- Line a 9x13 dish with parchment paper and lay the sliced sweet potatoes in rows.
- Top the sweet potatoes with the remaining mixture from the bag.
- Sprinkle extra thyme on sweet potatoes and bake for 40-45 minutes (add a few extra minutes for thicker slices). Sweet potatoes are ready when they turn golden brown around the edges and are cooked in the center
- Remove from oven and serve hot.
- We sliced our sweet potatoes for this recipe but you can also cube them if you prefer
- Making this for a holiday dinner? You can save time by making it the night before, then popping it in the oven when you're ready
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 154Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 178mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 4g