This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Roasted sweet potatoes make the perfect side dish for any meal. Add garlic, parmesan and thyme and you’ve got amazing recipe that’s loaded with flavor.
It’s that time of year…time to start thinking about Thanksgiving dinner. It’s the one meal that you have to start planning way ahead of time but that’s all part of the fun!
Some people may love the turkey but I’m all about the Thanksgiving side dishes! Sweet potatoes are a Thanksgiving staple of course but I’m not a fan of the traditional recipe with brown sugar and marshmallows. Marshmallows are meant for desserts and campfires.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
That’s why I love these roasted sweet potatoes so much. They’re amazingly good and the garlic and parmesan add so much flavor.
Even better, they’re easy to make too. When you’re cooking a gazillion things at once, easy is key! Once your friends and family taste this mouthwatering recipe, they’ll want to have Thanksgiving at your house every year!
Start with three large sweet potatoes.
Slice the potatoes and set aside.
In a gallon sized plastic bag, combine melted butter, olive oil, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, minced garlic, brown sugar and thyme. Place sweet potatoes inside and move around until they’re covered with the seasoning mixture.
Place sweet potatoes in a 9×13 dish lined with parchment paper.
Top with remaining mixture from bag and bake 40-45 minutes (add a little more time for thicker slices).
Remove from oven and serve hot.
These roasted sweet potatoes aren’t just perfect for Thanksgiving, they’ll taste great all year long!
- 3 extra large sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp butter (melted)
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 package fresh thyme
- Preheat oven to 400
- Rinse and peel the sweet potatoes
- Use a sharp knife to cut the sweet potatoes into 1/8 inch slices. Set aside
- Melt butter and pour into a gallon size plastic bag. Add olive oil, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, minced garlic, brown sugar and thyme to bag and mix together.
- Place sweet potatoes in bag and seal. Move the sweet potatoes around inside the bag to be sure they're fully covered with garlic and parmesan mixture.
- Line a 9x13 dish with parchment paper and lay the sliced sweet potatoes in rows.
- Top the sweet potatoes with the remaining mixture from the bag.
- Sprinkle extra thyme on sweet potatoes and bake for 40-45 minutes (add a few extra minutes for thicker slices). Sweet potatoes are ready when they turn golden brown around the edges and are cooked in the center
- Remove from oven and serve hot.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 123Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 13mgSodium: 143mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 3g
Frequently asked questions:
Do you need to peel the sweet potatoes first?
Yes, you will get the best results with this recipe if you peel them first.
How do you cut sweet potatoes?
This is a personal preference. This recipe calls for the sweet potatoes to be sliced but you can also cube them. Use a long, very sharp knife, since cutting through a large sweet potato can take a little work.
Do you boil sweet potatoes before baking?
Recipes can vary but for this one, you don’t need to boil the sweet potatoes first. Just slice, cover with seasoning and roast.
How do you roast sweet potatoes?
Once the sweet potatoes are seasoned, just cook them at 400 for 40-45 minutes. The time and temperature may change if you plan to cut them into cubes instead.
This may just become your new favorite side dish. I know it’s definitely one of mine!
Looking for more Thanksgiving ideas? You may want to check these out…
30 Of The Best Thanksgiving Side Dishes
Thanksgiving Desserts That’ll Make You Want To Skip The Turkey