This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These St. Patrick’s Day Jello Shots are the perfect way to celebrate all things Irish. With their vibrant and festive emerald green color and a generous addition of Jameson’s Irish Whiskey, these easy and delicious treats will take your St. Patrick’s Day party to a whole new level.
Our favorite Irish holiday is right around the corner. While it’s always fun to make leprechaun traps and St. Patrick’s Day desserts with the kids, sometimes we want to have a little grownup fun too. I say bring on the St. Patrick’s Day drinks and cocktails!
While not technically a cocktail, Jello shots are a classic party treat and it’s pretty easy to see why. With so many different varieties and flavors, they can be made to suit any taste, color, or theme, and they can always be counted on to liven up any gathering.
These green Jello shots are such a fun way to bring extra Irish cheer to your Saint Patrick’s Day festivities. Lime Jello and Jameson’s are combined to make a sweet treat for the adults. We like to add a little whipped cream and sprinkles for a finishing touch that makes it a lot fancier than just plain Jello..
Bring a batch of these to your next party or potluck and let the St. Patrick’s Day fun begin!
Why We Love This Recipe
- Easy – With only three main ingredients and no cooking or baking required, making this delicious treat is super easy. The most difficult thing you’ll need to do is stir.
- Fun – Everybody loves Jello and these St. Patricks Day Jello shots are always so much fun! They’ll definitely take your celebration up a notch!
- Inexpensive – The Jameson is the most expensive thing you’ll need for this recipe, but a single bottle goes long way. You should have plenty left over for future batches, or to enjoy in other cocktails.
- Versatile – This basic Jello shot cup can be modified with different flavors and colors of Jello (you can even add orange to make Irish flag Jello shots). You can also use different kinds of alcohol for all kinds of different occasions and themes. It’s the perfect way to celebrate all kinds of holidays.
- Can be Made in Advance – No last minute rushing around to prepare these party treats. Make them the night before and they’ll be ready to serve straight from the fridge the next day.
- Lime Jello (green apple flavor would also work)
- Water, divided
- Jameson Irish Whiskey
- Whipped topping of choice
- St. Patrick’s Day or green sprinkles
How To Make St. Patrick’s Day Jello Shots
Step 1: Bring two cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
Step 2: Once it starts to boil, remove the hot water from the heat. Stir in the Jello gelatin mix, whisking constantly until completely dissolved.
Step 3: Stir 1 cup of cold water and 8 oz. Jameson Irish Whiskey into the Jello mixture.
Step 4: Divide the Jello mixture evenly among 2 oz. cups. You should have about 18 shots.
Step 5: Chill the Jello shots in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours or until the Jell-O is set.
Step 6: Just before you’re ready to serve, top each shot with whipped cream and green sprinkles. You can also mix it up and add gold sprinkles or gold sugar crystals. (Don’t want to make your own whipped topping? Redi-Whip or Cool Whip will do the trick too.)
Tips & Tricks
- Don’t rush the stirring! Be sure that all of the gelatin dissolves completely in the hot water before adding the cold water and Jameson. This will help you avoid a grainy texture or any undissolved mix in your shots.
- Don’t be afraid to switch up your Jello flavors. Orange would be delicious as well and would still fit with the St Patrick’s Day theme. Make both the orange and lime shots, then add some whipped topping and you’ve got Irish Flag Jello Shots.
- If you really want to wow your guests, you can even layer the colors. Fill your shot cup up one third of the way with the green shots. Then, once this first layer has set completely, pour the liquid for the orange shots on top of the green layer and put the shots back in the fridge to set again. Top the orange layer with whipped cream for some really fun Irish flag shots.
- You can also use green food coloring to layer different shades of green.
- If you’d like, you can substitute a different type of alcohol like plain or vanilla vodka. Vodka is one of the most popular choices for Jello shot recipes because it has a neutral flavor that goes with just about anything. Although it’s not an Irish drink, your shots will still look festive and taste delicious!
- If you prefer not to add any alcohol at all, you can make an alcohol-free version by substituting sparkling water or lemon-lime soda for the Jameson.
- These work best when made with disposable 2 oz. cups specifically designed for Jello shots, although plastic shot glasses would also work. You should be able to find gelatin shot cups at your local grocery or liquor store, or you can order them on Amazon.
How Long Will Jello Shots Keep?
While they’ll last in the refrigerator for 4-7 days, your Saint Patrick’s Day Jello shots will taste best if consumed within a day or two of making them. If your Jello shot cups don’t have individual lids, it’s a good idea to store them in an airtight container or cover them with plastic wrap.
Can I Freeze My Jello Shots?
It’s not recommended. The texture and taste of the Jello tends to change after it has been frozen and thawed. If you’re planning to make a big batch of these, my best recommendation is to invite a big group of friends over to make sure you don’t have any leftovers!
More St. Patrick’s Day Fun
St. Patrick’s Day Jello Shots
- 2 oz Plastic Cups with Lids
- Bring two cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan.3 cups water
- Once it starts to boil, remove the hot water from the heat and stir in the Jello mix, whisking constantly until the mix is completely dissolved.2 boxes lime flavored Jello
- Stir 1 cup of cold water and 8 oz. Jameson Irish Whiskey into the Jello mixture.8 ounces Jamison Irish Whiskey
- Divide the Jello mixture evenly among 2 oz. cups. This recipe should make about 18 shots.
- Chill the Jello shots in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours or until the Jell-O is set.
- Just before you’re ready to serve them, top with whipped cream and green or gold sprinkles. (If you don’t want to make your own, Redi-Whip or Cool Whip will work just as well.)Whipped cream and sprinkles for garnish
- If you’re not a fan of whiskey, try some plain or vanilla vodka instead. Vodka is one of the most popular choices for Jello shots because it has a neutral flavor that goes with just about anything. Although it’s not an Irish drink, your shots will still look festive and taste delicious!
- To make a colorful Irish jello shot, use one package green Jello and one package or orange jello (mixing separately). Start by preparing one package of the lime flavor, then fill each cup one-third of the way and chill. For the next layer, just repeat with orange jello, chill, then top with whipped topping.