This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This sweet and salty White Chocolate Christmas Chex Mix is an addictive snack mix that’s always a hit! It’s the perfect homemade treat to serve at parties, to give as gifts or just to keep on hand for snacking during the holiday season.
Table of Contents
Christmas Chex Mix Recipe
When it comes to making delicious and festive holiday treats, it doesn’t get much easier than this salty and sweet Chex mix recipe. Just melt the chocolate and mix in all the other ingredients…easy breezy, right?
Even better, this easy recipe saves a lot of time by freeing you up for all your other holiday baking. Sometimes known as White Trash Chex Mix or Reindeer Food, this is a classic festive holiday snack that everyone always looks forward to.
It also makes a great addition to Christmas gift bags or decorative tins along with Chocolate Crinkle Cookies, Christmas Tree Meringues and these adorable White Chocolate Peanut Butter Christmas Cookies. We love handing them out to friends and neighbors during the holiday season.
This recipe does come with a warning! You’ll want to make a double batch because once you’ve packed up some up for others, it’s so tasty and addicting, you’ll want some for yourself too!
Why We Love This Recipe
- This Christmas sweet and salty Christmas Chex mix uses simple ingredients and comes together in just minutes.
- Delicious holiday dessert that has the perfect combination of sweet and salty flavors.
- This recipe is a versatile, festive snack for any holiday. All you have to do is change up the color of candy you use.
- Large rimmed cookie sheet
- Measuring Cup
- Large Mixing Bowl with Lid (for storing)
What’s Needed to Make Holiday Chex Mix
- Corn Chex cereal
- Honey nut cheerios
- Mini pretzels
- Roasted, salted peanuts
- Red and green M&M
- Christmas sprinkles
- White chocolate chips
How to Make Christmas Snack Mix
Step 1. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper. You can also use a silpat mat if you have one.
Step 2. Add the cereals, pretzels, and peanuts to your baking sheet.
Step 3. Toss the mixture together until it’s well combined.
Step 4. Using a double boiler, heat chips slowly, until melted.
Note: You can also melt the chocolate in the microwave-safe bowl in the microwave if you prefer.
Step 5. Once the melted white chocolate candies are nice and smooth, pour it over top of your dry ingredients.
Step 6. Use a spatula to mix the chocolate around to coat all of the cereal mixture. Be gentle to avoid breaking up the cereal pieces too much.
Step 7. Next, allow the melted chocolate to cool just for a few minutes. Top with M&Ms and colorful sprinkles.
Step 8. Leave the sweet snack mix at room temperature, until chocolate is set. Once it has cooled, break up any large chunks that may be stuck together.
How Do I Store Holiday Party Snack Mix?
Christmas snack mix can be stored at room temperature in a very large bowl with a lid or other airtight container for up to a week. You do not have refrigerate it but if you prefer it chilled, you can certainly keep it in the fridge.
If you want to make this snack in advance or have too many leftovers (unlikely), you can easily freeze this in a freezer safe Ziploc bag for up to 3 months. Thaw to room temperature once ready to eat.
Why is it Sometimes Called Trash Mix
The original recipe for chocolate covered Chex mix was made by dumping everything in a small trash bag and shaking it up, instead of adding to large baking sheets.
But I think that it’s easier to just throw the dry ingredients into a large bowl and mix it there or just add everything to a sheet pan.
Variations this White Chocolate Party Mix Recipe
- Cereal: We used Corn Chex but you can use Rice Chex or Wheat Chex or even a combination of Rice Chex with other types. Bugles make a great addition and give the mix added crunch,
- Nuts: You can use almonds or even mixed roasted nuts. I like to use the salted or lightly salted ones so that it really makes a sweet and salty snack.
- M&Ms: Change up the color of the M&M’s depending on the holiday. You can even make these for Super Bowl using M&Ms or other candies that match the color of your favorite team.
- Other candy: Have fun and put your own spin on this snack mix. For different flavors, you can add crushed up peppermint candies, Reese’s pieces or at Easter you could add mini chocolate malt eggs. Candy corn would be perfect for Halloween.
- Chocolate chips: This recipe calls for chocolate chips, but you can really use any type of chocolate you prefer. Try white almond bark or white chocolate candy coating if that’s what you have on hand. Just make sure it’s the best white chocolate you can find since it’s one of the main ingredients in this sweet holiday snack.
- Pretzels: If you can’t find the mini pretzel twists, you can use the small pretzel sticks or regular pretzels broken into smaller pieces. For added sweetness, you can even use mini chocolate covered pretzels.
- Other add-ins: You can add in some melted peanut butter with the chocolate and pour it over the cereal mixture. The classic muddy buddies recipe is very similar except one the mixture is coated, it all gets tossed with powdered sugar.
- Christmas Tree Cupcakes
- Nutter Butter Reindeer Cupcakes
- Christmas Milkshake
- Mint Chocolate Meringue Cookies
- Santa Hat Cupcakes
- Christmas Poke Cake
- Christmas Dessert Dip
- Vanilla Spiced Eggnog
- Christmas Candy Cupcakes
- Holiday Party Mix
- Candy Cane Inspired Mini Cheesecakes
- Peppermint Ice Cream with White Chocolate
White Chocolate Christmas Chex Mix
- Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or wax paper. You can also use a silpat mat if you have one.
- Add the cereals, pretzels, and peanuts to your baking sheet.4 cups Corn Chex cereal, 3 cups Honey Nut cheerios, 2 cups mini pretzels, ¾ cup salted peanuts
- Toss the mixture together until it’s well combined.
- Using a double boiler, heat chips slowly, until melted.24 ounces white chocolate chips
- Once the chocolate is smooth and creamy, pour it over top of your dry ingredients.
- Use a spatula to mix the chocolate around to coat all of the cereal mixture. Stir gently to avoid breaking up the cereal pieces too much.
- Next, allow the melted chocolate to cool just for a few minutes. Top with M&Ms and colorful sprinkles.½ cup Christmas M&Ms, ¼ cup Christmas sprinkles
- Leave the snack mix at room temperature, until chocolate is set. Once it cools, break up any large chunks that may be stuck together.