Looking for a fun, new appetizer to serve at your next get-together? Try these delicious Chicken Fajita Bites!
I love cooking with bell peppers! Not only are they delicious but they add a bold pop of color to any dish. Since they just happen to be in season right now, I’ve been taking advantage of it and wanted to come up with a new recipe. Fajitas instantly came to mind.
I don’t eat fajitas often but I sure do love them. Have you ever been in a restaurant when the waiter walks by with a steaming hot pan of fajitas? You know, the kind that leaves a trail of smoke behind? That smell just about drives me insane…it’s SO good! However, this time I was thinking more along the lines of a party food and my Chicken Fajita Bites were born! I already had all the ingredients (now that I’m a blogger I always have random things like fillo shells on hand) so I was ready to get cooking!
Want to make your own Chicken Fajita Bites? Here’s what you need to do (it’s easy, I promise):
Cut 1/2 of a red, yellow and green bell pepper and dice 1/2 onion. Do these bell peppers look amazing or what?!
Sautee the bell peppers in olive oil for a couple minutes, then add the onion
Place the fillo shells on a baking tray and bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes, or until the shell is a nice golden brown. Meanwhile, combine one diced chicken breast with a tablespoon of fajita seasoning and cook over medium heat.
By now your fillo cups should be ready. Add chunks of chicken, then use salsa to fill in the fillo shell, adding some on the top as well. Next, add sour cream and finally tip with your onions and bell peppers. Since I used the mini shells, this recipe just has a few ingredients. However, if you go with the larger shells, you can also add cheese, lettuce, tomatoes or anything else you think might be good!
Now the only thing left to do is enjoy them!
- 2 15 ct. packages mini fillo shells
- 1 boneless chicken breast, diced
- 1/2 each red, yellow and green bell peppers
- 1/2 onion, I used white
- 1 tablespoon fajita seasoning
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Dice your bell pepper and onions or cut into strips
- Heat 1/2 tbsp of olive oil in saute pan or frying pan
- Cook bell peppers over medium heat for two minutes and add onion, stirring frequently
- Cook another 5 minutes, remove from heat and set aside
- Place fillo shells on baking sheet and heat in oven for 8 minutes or until golden brown
- Meanwhile, add another 1/2 tbsp of olive oil to pan
- Place diced chicken in pan, add fajita seasoning and stir until evenly coated
- Cook chicken until it reaches 165, remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove fillo shells from oven and add chicken to each
- Fill in empty areas around the chicken with salsa
- Top with sour cream, peppers and onions
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 29Cholesterol: 5mgSodium: 53mgCarbohydrates: 1gProtein: 1g
I used chicken for these, but I think steak or shrimp would be tasty too. The only problem I came across was that these bites were so good, it was really hard to stop eating them!
If you liked this recipe, you’ll also like…