This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Chinese Chicken on a Stick Recipe is a delicious Asian inspired dish that’s bursting with flavor. Pieces of tender and succulent chicken thighs are marinated in a simple and delicious homemade teriyaki-style sauce, added to skewers and then grilled until golden brown perfection.
Teriyaki chicken is always a family favorite, but there is just something special about serving food on a stick that gives everything a fun and delicious twist! These teriyaki skewers are a quick and easy weeknight dinner, but they also make the ultimate appetizer for parties, potlucks, and backyard BBQs.
I recently made these Grilled Chicken Kabobs, and they were such a huge hit, I just couldn’t wait to make these teriyaki skewers. Boy, they did NOT disappoint! Once you see how simple and fun to make this recipe is, you’ll forget all about local Chinese takeout. Not only do they taste better, but they’re also more affordable, especially if you’re feeding a crowd.
If you love this recipe, you should also check out Honey Garlic Chicken! It is very similar to this chicken on stick, but it uses whole chicken thighs that bake in the oven.
Why We Love This Recipe
- Easy to make: Chinese chicken on a stick is an easy recipe that only requires 6 simple ingredients and just a few minutes of prep time.
- Perfect for a crowd: Perfect dish to serve at your next cookout or potluck. They can be served as an appetizer or main course, and they are sure to please even the pickiest of eaters!
- Packed with flavor: These skewers are loaded with bold flavor thanks to a homemade teriyaki sauce.
- Bamboo skewers
- Grill pan (or outdoor grill)
- Mixing bowls
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
What’s Need to Make Chinese Chicken Skewers
What’s Need to Make Chinese Chicken Skewers
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs-cut into cubes
- Soy Sauce
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Fresh ginger chopped
- Fresh garlic cloves- minced
How to Make Chicken Teriyaki Skewers
Soak wooden skewers in cold water for about an hour before cooking. You can use metal skewers if you prefer.
Step 1: In a medium bowl, combine honey, soy sauce and apple cider vinegar. Whisk until well blended. Add ginger and garlic.
Step 2: Place the pieces of chicken in a large bowl. Pour the marinade over the top and stir so that all pieces are evenly covered.
Step 3: Cover and place chicken in the refrigerator to marinate for a least 30 minutes. Stir halfway through just to be sure all the pieces are marinated completely.
Step 4: When you’re ready to grill, thread chicken pieces onto the soaked bamboo skewers. Preheat the grill pan on medium heat. You can also grill these an outdoor charcoal grill or gas grill.
Step 5: Once the grill is hot, add skewers and cook for 8 minutes or until the chicken begins to brown. If you are cooking these skewers on an outdoor BBQ grill, you’ll want to cook them on the indirect side of the grill from the heat to prevent flair ups.
Step 6. Turn the chicken skewers over and baste them with the other 1/2 of the honey mixture over the top. Continue cooking for another 8 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown or the internal temperature on a meat thermometer reads 165°. Cooking times will vary based on the type of grill you use or if you use a grill pan instead.
Variations and Add-in’s for the Best Chicken Skewers Recipe
- Chicken thighs: Boneless chicken thighs stay so juicy and tender when grilled, but if you prefer boneless chicken breast over dark meat, they work great for teriyaki chicken skewers as well. Another option is using chicken tenders. All you have to do is marinate the chicken strips the same way you do the cut-up pieces. Then just weave the skewers in and out the length of the strip.
- Veggies: Want to sneak in a few veggies? Bell peppers. onions and even zucchini chunks are awesome with this recipe.
- Spices: If you like your marinade a little spicy, you can add some red pepper flakes or a little bit of cayenne pepper to the other marinade ingredients. Other herbs or spices you can try are garlic powder, black pepper or dry mustard powder. You can also use Chinese 5 spice which is a special blend of spices used in many Asian recipes.
- Honey substitute: If you aren’t a fan of honey, you can make a sticky marinade using some brown sugar and pineapple juice. Add a half cup of brown sugar to one cup pineapple juice and heat it in a sauce pan until it thickens.
- Soy sauce substitute: You can use dark soy sauce or light soy sauce. You can also skip the soy sauce and use coconut aminos instead.
- Garnishes: Sesame seeds, chopped parsley or chopped green onion or chives make a pretty presentation.
How To Use Leftovers
- Leftovers are even better the next day for lunch! Just remove the chicken from the stick and store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Serve it heated in a lettuce wrap or over a simple green salad.
- Freeze it for a later meal. This chicken freezes really well for up to a couple of months. To thaw, just place it in the fridge overnight then reheat in the microwave just until warmed through.
- Make stir fry! Reheat the chicken and add steamed white, brown or jasmine rice. Throw in any of your favorite veggies and you have a whole different meal the entire family will love.
What Else Can I Use This Homemade Sauce on?
So, you’ve made that scrumptious sauce and now you’re addicted…. I get it! The good news is this recipe is not just a marinade for chicken. Check out some other great ways to use it:
- Brush it over grilled or baked salmon.
- Grilled pork tenderloin and this sauce go hand in hand.
- If you love shrimp, you just have to try marinating them in this sweet and salty sauce.
- Make a double batch of teriyaki sauce when making these skewers. Marinate the chicken with half of it and serve some the rest drizzled over a bed of fluffy rice.
- Wake up the favors of your veggie kabobs by marinated them in this sauce for about 30 minutes before grilling or pan roasting them.
Can I Make Chinese Chicken on a Stick in the Oven?
You sure can! If you don’t have a grill or grill pan, you can still enjoy tasty chicken on a stick cooked in the oven. Just preheat the oven to 375°. Place the skewers on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Give the foil a good spritz of nonstick cooking spray to keep the chicken from sticking.
Next just bake the chicken for about 20-25 minutes chicken until it is done, and the internal temperature reaches 165°.
Want More Easy Chicken Recipes?
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Mayo
- Easy Chicken Piccata
- Cheesy BBQ Bacon Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken and Veggies
- Chicken Alfredo Bake
- Lemon Rosemary Chicken and Potatoes
Chinese Chicken On A Stick
- In a medium bowl, combine honey, soy sauce and apple cider vinegar. Whisk until well blended, then add ginger and garlic.3/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 4 tbsp ginger, 4 cloves garlic
- Place the pieces of chicken in a large bowl. Pour the marinade over the top and stir so that all pieces are evenly covered.8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Cover and place chicken in the refrigerator to marinate for a least 30 minutes. Stir halfway through just to be sure all the pieces are marinated completely.
- When you’re ready to grill, thread chicken pieces onto the soaked bamboo skewers. Preheat the grill pan on medium heat. You can also grill these an outdoor charcoal grill or gas grill.
- Once the grill is hot, add skewers and cook for 8 minutes or until the chicken begins to brown. If you are cooking these skewers on an outdoor BBQ grill, you’ll want to cook them on side of the grill with indirect heat to prevent flare ups.
- Turn the chicken skewers over and baste them with the other 1/2 of the honey mixture over the top. Continue cooking for another 8 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown or the internal temperature on a meat thermometer reads 165°.
- Cooking times will vary based on the type of grill you use or if you use a grill pan instead.
- For a spicier marinade, try adding red pepper flakes or a little bit of cayenne pepper to the other marinade ingredients.