This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This adorable Clay Pot Reindeer Ornament is the perfect Christmas craft for the kids. It’s simple enough that all ages can make it and it’ll look super cute on your Christmas tree!
Do you get as excited about the holiday season as we do? From the Christmas decorations to the holiday desserts, we are all about it!
That includes Christmas crafts too! We started off on a clothespin craft kick this year, with Clothespin Christmas Trees and Santa Hat Ornaments. We also made a Clothespin Reindeer Ornament, which totally inspired us to keep the reindeer fun going!
Clay Pot Reindeer Ornament
However, this time we’re going in an all new direction with a reindeer clay pot ornament. It’s an adorable Christmas craft for kids and they’ll love transforming these small flower pots into ornaments for the tree!
This Christmas craft idea makes a great project for class parties and can even be wrapped and given out as homemade Christmas gifts (grandma and grandpa LOVE stuff like this!).
The best part is that this cute reindeer craft is not only easy and fun but since you can find most of the supplies at your local dollar store, it’s budget friendly too!
You just need a few simple craft supplies to get started:
- Clay Pot, 2.5″ (Dollar Tree)
- Acrylic Craft Paint – Dark Brown, Kelly Green, Pink, Yellow
- Natural Jute Twine (Dollar Tree)
- Googly Eyes (Dollar Tree)
- Large Red Tinsel Pom Pom (Dollar Tree)
- Brown Chenille Stems / Brown Pipe Cleaners (Dollar Tree)
- Brown Felt, Craft Foam or Cardstock
Note: You can find the small clay pots and many more of these items at your local dollar store. However, I’ve also linked to Amazon in the instructions if you prefer the convenience of having everything shipped right to your doorstep.
Once you’ve got everything you need, you’re ready to get a little crafty!
- Remove any labels from the clay pot and paint the rim with kelly green paint. Let dry, then apply a second coat if needed.
- Paint the top section of the pot with dark brown paint. Like before, let dry and apply a second coat if needed.
- Use the glue gun to attach the googly eyes and red pom pom nose to the reindeer's face.
- Next, dip the new pencil eraser into the bright yellow acrylic craft paint and use it to make polka dots around the rim. Set aside to dry.
- Dip another pencil eraser into pink acrylic paint to add polka dot cheeks. Let dry.
- Bend the chenille stems into antler shapes and insert them into the hole at the top of the clay pot. Use hot glue to secure them on the inside of the pot.
- Cut a 12" piece of natural jute twine and tie it in a loop with a knot. Attach it to the top of the clay pot reindeer with hot glue. Then cut two ear shapes from brown felt. Fold in half, then glue one to the top right and the other to the top left of the reindeer.
- Take a black marker and draw small plus signs in the yellow polka dots to turn each one into a jingle bell.
- Now your cute little reindeer ornament is ready for the tree!
Hot Glue Alternative: If you're doing this with younger kids, you can substitute liquid craft glue instead. It just takes a little longer for your craft to dry using liquid glue.
Don't have twine? You can use a piece of string or yarn to hang your ornament instead.
Make your craft on white paper plates for easier cleanup. Instead of having to clean your work surface, now you can just toss it in the trash!
These clay pot reindeer ornaments are so much fun that you may even want to join the kids to make your own! Check back soon because I have even more of these clay pot Christmas crafts on the way!
What kind of clay pot crafts would you like to see next?