This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
These DIY Cupcake Ornaments are a sweet treat for your Christmas tree! With just a few simple supplies, you’ll have a great time making this fun and easy holiday decoration with the kiddos!
These adorable cupcake Christmas ornaments are a festive craft that you’ll have a great time making – and you can enjoy this cute decor year after year. The best part is that these ornaments can be made with supplies from the Dollar Store. They’re quick and easy to make and a great way to get the whole family in the Christmas spirit.
Make some popcorn and hot cocoa (or maybe some Christmas tree cupcakes), play some Christmas movies and turn it into a holiday crafting party. You could even make these Clothespin Christmas Tree Ornaments too!
Be sure to make lots of extras to share. You can also give as gifts or use as gift tags. Then, the kids can enjoy seeing their ornaments on the tree all season long!
Table of Contents
Why We Love This Craft
It’s Inexpensive – Most of the supplies for this cute cupcake ornament tutorial can be purchased at the Dollar Store, and there are large bottles of dimensional Fabric Paint available at Wal-Mart for just $5.00.
Quick and Easy – This ornament craft comes together in just 30 minutes (not including drying time) and has just a few simple steps.
It’s Versatile – Decorate your tree with these cute ornaments. They look like cupcakes sprinkled with sugar. You can also give them as gifts or add a tag and use them as gift tags for your presents.
- Christmas ornaments, white – Dollar Store
- Cupcake liners with red and green Christmas patterns
- Red, white, and green tinsel pom poms – Dollar Store
- Dimensional fabric paint, red and green
- Glitter, clear – Dollar Store
- Glue gun and glue sticks
- Plastic palette knife – Dollar Store
- Plain paper
- Red and green baker’s twine (or ribbon) – Dollar Store
More Holiday Craft Ideas
And if making those cupcake ornaments starts making you hungry for cupcakes, why not bake some to go with your craft project? We’ve got plenty of delicious cupcakes that are perfect for a holiday crafting party. Try these Nutter Butter Reindeer Cupcakes or these Santa Hat Cupcakes.
DIY Cupcake Ornaments
- Push the foam ornaments down gently onto your work surface to flatten them at the base. Make sure the ornament cap is at the top, then use a glue gun to glue an ornament into a paper cupcake liner. Apply glue at the base and around the edge of the cupcake liner to ensure that the ornament is secure.Christmas Ornaments, Cupcake Liners – Red and Green Christmas Patterns
- Apply a generous amount of dimensional fabric paint to the top of the ornament.Red Dimensional Fabric Paint, Green Dimensional Fabric Paint
- Use the plastic palette knife to spread the dimensional fabric paint around evenly so that it resembles frosting. Use the red paint for the green cupcake liners and the green paint for the red cupcake liners
- Place the frosted cupcake on a piece of plain paper and sprinkle it with the clear glitter. Return the excess glitter to its container and set cupcake ornament aside to dry overnight.Clear Glitter
- Measure and cut a ten-inch piece of baker’s twine. Thread it through the ornament hanger and tie into a loop. Glue a pom pom to both sides of the hanger to hide the knot and serve as the cherry on the cupcake.Holiday Pom Poms – Red, white and green, Red Christmas twine, Green Christmas twine
- Now all that's left is to decorate your tree!