This Mississippi Mud Cake may just be the most indulgently delicious dessert ever! Loaded with chocolate, marshmallows and more, it’s a dessert recipe everyone will go totally nuts for!
For your convenience, this post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
I am all about the chocolate desserts! I mean, who doesn’t love chocolate, right? I’ve made everything from white chocolate Oreos to dark chocolate and salted caramel cheesecake bites. However, this awesome chocolate cake recipe may top them all!
Why we love this recipe
This is Mississippi Mud Cake recipe takes ordinary chocolate cake to a whole new level. It’s packed with plenty of mouthwatering chocolate but you’ve also got gooey marshmallows and pecans thrown in the mix. It’s pretty much a chocolate lovers dream!
Typically I love my recipes simple with as few ingredients as possible. The ingredient list for this one may be slightly longer than usual but it’s totally worth the extra effort! Just one bite and you’ll understand why!
Why is it called Mississippi Mud Cake
According to the Mississippi Encyclopedia, this homemade chocolate cake gets it’s name because it resembles crusted and cracked clay that comes from the banks of the Mississippi River. It’s a variation of Mississippi “mud pies”, which combine sugar, melted butter, chocolate, and eggs in a pie shell.
How To Make Mississippi Mud Cake
Is your sweet tooth kicking in yet? Let’s get started…
Step 1: Heat oven to 350 ° and line two 9-inch baking pans with aluminum foil. You’ll also want to spray them with nonstick cooking spray and flour them.
Step 2: Combine butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar in a large bowl. Mix well with an electric mixer.
Step 3: Add melted chocolate, vanilla and cream. Mix well.
Step 4: Stir in eggs.
Step 5: In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cocoa.
Step 6: Mix ingredients by hand or set an electric mixer on medium speed to slowly blend the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
Step 7: Divide the chocolate mixture in half and pour batter into your prepared pans. Place pans in the oven and bake for about 25 minutes.
You’ll know the cakes are done when a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Step 8: Sprinkle miniature marshmallows over each cake (half a bag for each), then top each one with 1 cup of pecans. Return to oven and bake just until the marshmallows start to melt. Place pans on a wire rack.
Step 9: Combine cream and sugar in a small saucepan and cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
Step 10: Once the temperature reaches 220°, remove from heat and whisk in the remaining ingredients until chocolate melts and the icing is smooth. Refrigerate for 1-1 1/2 hours.
Step 11: Take the cakes out of their pans and peel away the foil.
Step 12: Place one cake on a serving platter with the marshmallows facing up. Spread 1 1/2 cups of the frosting over it.
Step 13: Top with the second cake, marshmallow side up, then microwave 1/2 a cup of icing in the microwave in very short spurts.
Step 14: The warm icing should be just soft enough that you can drizzle it. Once it reaches that consistency, drizzle the icing over the top of the cake.
Bring this delicious mud cake to a party and I promise you’ll be invited back every time! It’s SO delish and if this chocolate dessert doesn’t satisfy a sweet tooth, nothing will! It may just become your new go-to dessert recipe!
Be sure you bake enough because otherwise you may not score a piece. This moist chocolate cake is a chocolate lover’s dream and is pretty much guaranteed to disappear as soon as you set it down!
For The Cake
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter (softened)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar (packed firmly)
- 3 oz unsweetened chocolate (melted)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 large eggs
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 bag mini marshmallows
- 2 cups chopped pecans
For The Icing
- 1 cup light brown sugar (packed firmly)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup butter (cut into pieces)
- 5 oz unsweetened chocolate (cut into pieces)
- 3 oz semi-sweet chocolate (also cut into pieces)
- 2 tbsp dark corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 and line (2) 9x9 cake pans with foil. Extend the foil over the sides.
- Spray foil with non-stick cooking spray, then flour.
- Mix butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl and beat until fluffy.
- Add melted chocolate, vanilla and cream, mixing well.
- Mix in eggs.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda and cocoa.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients.
- Divide the batter, pouring half into each prepared pan Bake on the center rack of the oven for about 25 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove cakes from the oven and sprinkle marshmallows over each one, then top each with a cup of pecans.
- Return the cakes to the oven and bake just until the marshmallows begin to melt.
- Remove from oven and leaving cakes in the pans, cool on a cooling rack.
- Now start the icing by combining cream and sugar in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
- Continue to cook without stirring until a candy thermometer reads 220. Remove from heat and whisk in remaining ingredients until chocolate melts and frosting is smooth.
- Refrigerate icing for 1-1 1/2 hours until the icing is thick enough to spread over the cake.
- Remove the cake from the pans and peel foil away. Place one cake on a platter, marshmallow side up.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups of frosting over the top, then top with the second cake, marshmallow side up again.
- Ice the sides of the cakes.
- Microwave about 1/2 cup of the icing (in very short spurts) until it is thin enough to pour. Drizzle softened icing over the top of the cake.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Stainless Steel Mixing Bowls (Set of 5), Non Slip Colorful Silicone Bottom Nesting Storage Bowls
KitchenAid ® Artisan Shaded Palm 5-Quart Tilt-Head Stand Mixer
KitchenAid 5-Speed Hand Mixer
Wilton 9x9 Baking Dish (set of 2)
Mastertop Acrylic Cake Stand 6-in-1 Multifunctional Serving Platter with Domed Cover and Spoons
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 995Total Fat: 68gSaturated Fat: 34gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 203mgSodium: 360mgCarbohydrates: 90gFiber: 7gSugar: 62gProtein: 12g
More Dessert Recipes
If you liked this recipe, you may want to check these out…