Want to try something a little different from your usual chicken recipe? This stuffed chicken with sausage and cheese will be a family favorite!
I’ve done a lot of traveling and Italy has been one of my all time favorite destinations! I loved it when I backpacked through the country alone and even more when I met my husband and we traveled there together! From the culture, the architecture, the sights and the language, it’s just an amazing place. Then there’s the Italian food, which I just couldn’t get enough of!
Of course, once kids came along, our travels got put on hold for awhile and that means no more trips to Italy…for now. That doesn’t mean that we can’t still have Italian food though! Instead of our usual chicken recipe, this week I decided to try making some stuffed chicken. Filled with Italian sausage, tomatoes and cheese, we had our only little taste of Italy at home.
The first thing you’ll need to do is brown the Italian sausage and set it aside.
Next, pound the chicken breasts to about 1/4 inch thickness, then add the sausage, diced tomatoes, ricotta and mozzarella cheeses and top with dried basil and oregano.
Roll the chicken and secure with toothpicks (I usually soak them in water for a few minutes first). Then dip them in egg and roll them in the Progresso bread crumbs. If the toothpicks are in the way, just pat the breadcrumbs around that area.
Bake in the oven while you prepare your sides and before you know it, you have a delicious Italian dinner!
The kids loved that their dinner came with a little “surprise” inside!
This stuffed chicken was delish and the whole family loved it! I might have to make this more often!
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 4 ounces Italian sausage
- 1 can diced tomatoes, 14.5 oz
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 2 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp basil
- Preheat oven to 375
- Soak 12 toothpicks in water.
- Brown the sausage and set aside.
- Pound the chicken breasts until they are approximately 1/4 inch thick.
- Top each breast with 1 oz sausage, 1 1/2 tbsp diced tomatoes, 2 tbsp mozzarella and 1/2 heaping tbsp of ricotta.
- Finally, top each one with 1/2 tsp oregano and 1/2 tsp basil.
- Roll chicken breasts and secure with toothpicks.
- Dip in egg and roll in bread crumbs. If toothpicks get in the way, pat the crumbs around them.
- Bake at 375 until the chicken reaches a temperature of 165 (approx 40 minutes)
- Top with diced tomatoes and parmesan cheese and return to oven until cheese is melted (approx 3-4 minutes)
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 527Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 182mgSodium: 1038mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 55g
The great thing about this stuffed chicken recipe is that you can switch it up and add other ingredients! How would you stuff your chicken?